Robbo and his insensitive tweet, or "Poor choice of words"

PenAndPaper

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So this was a tweet in watch Mark Robinson posted today in regards to Fasolo and his mental health issues.

This guy needs to get the sack after this!

Attachments

• IMG_3113.JPG
    IMG_3113.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 122

OzJohnnie

Cancelled
Hawthorn Hawks - Conor Nash Player Sponsor 2017 Hawthorn Hawks - James Cousins Player Sponsor 2017 Hawthorn Hawks - Kaiden Brand Player Sponsor 2017
Feb 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Fired? He's no more cynical that 99% of the posters here. I think he's a lousy football journalist. For that he should be fired. But if cynicism becomes a crime the BF will be shut down.

I'm absolutely livid about this tweet and I'm not even a pies supporter.

It is just so dangerous. Less than 24 hours before this tweet, Fasolos team mate Taylor Adam's was on the footy show explaining the issue Fasolo faces including the negative affect social media criticism has had on him.

So what does Robbo do? He jumps on social media to criticise him the VERY ******* THING THAT HAS CONTRIBUTED TO FASOLOS DEPRESSION

Its so incredibly dangerous, callus and ignorant. That's before you look at the affect it will have on people outside of just Fasolo. What if you're a young man currently suffering from depression or anxiety not seeking help and you read that s**t. To mention drugs as well FMD one of the big issues with mental health is self medicating.

But you know what the worst part of it all. He won't be held to account. Hes free to criticise everyone from the AFL to the clubs to the players and even the fans about behaviour and morality, but he will never be held to the same standard he holds others to.

Chances of someone else going to town on him in the media. Next to none. ******* boys club

OzJohnnie

Cancelled
Hawthorn Hawks - Conor Nash Player Sponsor 2017 Hawthorn Hawks - James Cousins Player Sponsor 2017 Hawthorn Hawks - Kaiden Brand Player Sponsor 2017
Feb 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You all assume he's cynical. Perhaps he's supportive. Perhaps your own cynicism blinds your view.

EDIT: And I despise you all for making me point out a reasonable defense of Robbo.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Fired? He's no more cynical that 99% of the posters here. I think he's a lousy football journalist. For that he should be fired. But if cynicism becomes a crime the BF will be shut down.

Dunno if it was cynical tbh, though it comes off that way. I think it was a s**t tweet. He expresses himself very poorly, we all know that. Yet is apparently a "journalist"

Jul 25, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Indiana Pacers
It's not a great thing to say, but I imagine a fair few people would be thinking something similar. A lot of people still have the mindset that everyone who suffers from depression are unable to get out of bed, don't want to go outside, etc, but it effects everyone differently. I know a lot of people dislike Robbo, but I don't think there is any malice behind it, just naivety and a poor choice of words/timing.

Even if it wasn't malicious, it was pure stupidity. Robbo is a massive stain on the media and shouldn't have a position.

Russian Demon

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Bit of hysteria about. Depression sucks. In the past there hasnt been much help about. Some people have been overwhelmed by it with very sad consequences

But this is just the kind of ignorant crap i'd expect from Slobbo. Most constructive way to deal with it is laugh at his idiocy or ignore it. the public safety hysteria just creates a debate where there isn't really one to be had.

Aug 20, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm absolutely livid about this tweet and I'm not even a pies supporter.

It is just so dangerous. Less than 24 hours before this tweet, Fasolos team mate Taylor Adam's was on the footy show explaining the issue Fasolo faces including the negative affect social media criticism has had on him.

So what does Robbo do? He jumps on social media to criticise him the VERY ******* THING THAT HAS CONTRIBUTED TO FASOLOS DEPRESSION

Its so incredibly dangerous, callus and ignorant. That's before you look at the affect it will have on people outside of just Fasolo. What if you're a young man currently suffering from depression or anxiety not seeking help and you read that s**t. To mention drugs as well FMD one of the big issues with mental health is self medicating.

But you know what the worst part of it all. He won't be held to account. Hes free to criticise everyone from the AFL to the clubs to the players and even the fans about behaviour and morality, but he will never be held to the same standard he holds others to.

Chances of someone else going to town on him in the media. Next to none. ******* boys club
Great post. Spot on.

No doubt tonight we are going to have to put up with an over emotive apology on 360 knowing full well he doesn't mean it while he wipes tears from his eyes...
Doubt it since there's no 360 tonight.

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The apology is a good start but he needs to follow it up with more if he expects to be able to commentate on other social gaffs like the Caroline Wilson controversy with MMM.

Robbo would make jokes about uni students "getting the munchies" and think they are funny.

No doubt tonight we are going to have to put up with an over emotive apology on 360 knowing full well he doesn't mean it while he wipes tears from his eyes...
Spot on. Doubt gerald will push him very hard either.

Meanwhile he was absolutely giving it to the pies and Buckley in person last year over an apparent illicit drug use within the playing list.

Back