Opinion Robbo Top 50

Remove this Banner Ad

I never really understand the premise of the preseason list. These are the players he expects to be the best this year? That doesn't mean much.

I disagree. I want more AFL ‘experts’ to put their opinions out there preemptively. It’s the only time their knowledge is actually put to the test. Anyone can make an analysis after the fact.

I disagree. I want more AFL ‘experts’ to put their opinions out there preemptively. It’s the only time their knowledge is actually put to the test. Anyone can make an analysis after the fact.
But what's it based on? It's still based on past performance but with a dash of rank speculation for good measure. It doesn't tell me anything. It's junk punditry. It passes its use by date immediately.

At least with the list at the end of the year it's based on s**t we've all seen. This list is just Robbo's imagination.

But what's it based on? It's still based on past performance but with a dash of rank speculation for good measure. It doesn't tell me anything. It's junk punditry. It passes its use by date immediately.

At least with the list at the end of the year it's based on s**t we've all seen. This list is just Robbo's imagination.

It’s akin to the job recruiters do. Make a forthcoming prediction about quality based on previous showings and estimated individual growth. Is that not the art of being a football expert? Telling us things we already know isn’t of any value.

I guess it depends on how casual a football observer you are. While Robbo isn’t necessarily the footballing mind I’d like to hear from the exercise itself is still sound.

It’s akin to the job recruiters do.
No it isn't.

Make a forthcoming prediction about quality based on previous showings and estimated individual growth. Is that not the art of being a football expert?
The more valuable analysis is why something happened and what that set of factors henceforth predicts.

Robbo doesn't come close to that.

This is a work of imagination that doesn't even pretend to explain its rationale.

No it isn't.

The more valuable analysis is why something happened and what that set of factors henceforth predicts.

Robbo doesn't come close to that.

This is a work of imagination that doesn't even pretend to explain its rationale.

It is akin in function. Observation and projection.

It’s rationale is clear based on the history of the list. Why players are at the level they are is not measurable, as the football brain is intangible, so the football pundit is a better yardstick than what any multi-varied study could provide.

Last edited:
Not to be a classic Richmond flog and just focus on my own, but that is evident by his "write-up" for Prestia.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its hardly a controversial attempt at predicting the top 50 at years end.

I dont have an issue with him throwing in Naughton, Sicily, Marshall and to a lesser extent Petracca.

The two stretches imo is Buddy at 12, he is 33 and hardly played last year and is set for a delayed start to the season. And to a lesser extent NikNat, coming off 2 knee recos and 20 games in 3 years. Both players have been guns but I can't see either of them getting into the top 33 players in 2020

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I understand it's a predictive list, but no way will Lynch be worthy of that no.8 imo.

I'd have Charlie Cameron there (Who he has at #35) over Lynch.

I'd have Lynch and Riewoldt in the 30-50 range personally.

Franklin shouldn't be in it, he barely played last year and isn't fit this year, at 33 yrs old.

Anyone else think Lachie Whitfield is vastly overrated?

No.

He averages 27 touches a game, combined with close to the best footskills in the league.

He's the best half back in the game atm.

Lynch at 8, McRae at 17, and Naughton at 34 are way too high.
Walters at 23, Brown at 33, and Greene at 40 are too low.

He had Charlie Cameron at 16 in 2019, has his best ever year, and now he's down at 35? Makes no sense.
Remember it's a predictive list based on evidence and then projection, so it's hard to critique too harshly. Its impossible to come up with one that everyone endorses.

Sure I'm the same as you, there's a dozen players or so that I reckon are far too high/low, but unless people pony up their own list for critique, I'm not sure it's warranted.

From his list with Lynch, I guess he's predicting he'll have a 70+ year and win the Coleman. I have more issue with Riewoldt and Franklin personally. Both getting on now and Franklin especially looks physically cooked and we know he won't stay on the park. Riewoldt at 19 is too high, especially as he will be playing second fiddle. There's more I'd question but overall good on him, it's not easy to do and I like how he puts it out there.

Ironic from someone that posts on a footy forum.

Do you not make countless predictions here too? I'd wager in most threads you are posting with a dash of rank speculation, as we all are when asked to predict a match, the top 8, premiers, etc.

I like that he's putting it out there and we/he/the public can assess how his prediction went at end of year.

As someone else said, the one to really critique is his end of year list based on 2020.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back