Robbie Gray

Remove this Banner Ad

I just watched the 2006 TAC GF and he played pretty well, has great hands, very much reminded me of Ablett Jnr, also looks a bit like him. McKay also looked pretty good for cow fans.

Some stats for Robert Grays 2006 TAC Cup Year

Kicks - 12 (77% effective)
Handballs - 4.6 (85% effective)
Tackles - 2.8
Marks - 4.6 (66% uncontested) :thumbsu:
Handball Receives - 2.4 (14.24%) :thumbsu:
Goals - 3.2 :thumbsu:

Played for West against Centrals on Saturday. Went and had a look, hadn't seen him play yet. He's going to be a good one. Great hands (too good for some of his teammates), kicked a great goal, dodging and side stepping 6 opposing players, think he kicked a couple. Disposal was a bit ordinary early on but worked into it. Played 50% off a forward flank and the other on the ball.

Symes was ok. Didn't notice him too much.

ive posted this on the sanfl board too but do you think its a serious injury or just a minor one (its not going to be an on going groin injury)?

For one of my buddy players, ........... Robbie Gray

http://portadelaidefc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6038/Default.aspx?newsId=42759

During the pre-season when a senior player was asked which one of the new recruits had caught their eye, Robbie Gray was a popular answer.

This weekend, Robbie showed what he’s capable of in a best-on-ground performance for West Adelaide and development coach, Darren Trevena, has named him the Power SANFL Player of the Week.

“Overall he’s a very smart player. Robbie is now showing the potential he displayed at under 18 level, at senior level. Once his body adapts to AFL conditions he is going to be very exciting for Power supporters,” Trevena told us.

“He took some telling one-on-one marks at important times and finished off with some team settling goals.

“He has some real special attributes. It was a great game, both in the way that he kicked goals from marks and by crumbing.

“Previously when he was resting up forward he was playing a bit high, but now he’s adjusted his game to suit the West forward structure and was rewarded with his goals.”

While Trevena named Robbie Gray as Player of the Week, it was a tough decision with a number of Port Adelaide players impressing in the SANFL at the weekend

Looks like the softening up process for Robbie Gray's debut has begun. Let's hope it's not just to be named as an emergency.

These stats highlight his allround game, especially as a forward.

Gray kicked 58 goals in 18 games for the Chargers last season and ranked second in the competition for groundball-gets inside 50. And, despite being one of the smaller forwards in the competition, he hauled in 23 contested marks inside 50, which ranked fourth.

Apart from his 58 goals, Gray, who represented Vic Metro in the under-18 national titles, ranked equal fourth in the TAC Cup for score assists with 27. Overall, he had more scoreboard impact than any other TAC Cup player.

The full article link is below.

Ablett replica set for debut

ANDREW CAPEL

May 30, 2007 02:15am
Article from: The Advertiser

PORT Adelaide could on Sunday unveil its version of Geelong star Gary Ablett junior.

While the Power won't say it publicly, it is convinced Ablett lookalike Robert Gray is a superstar in the making.

The first-year medium-sized forward, whose appearance and game bears an uncanny resemblance to Ablett's, has been dominating the SANFL for West Adelaide and is a strong chance to make his debut for Port against Hawthorn.

etc...

Seriously, seriously good at SANFL level. Would be close to leading the BnF for West I'd say. Brilliant awareness, has started to show he can play through the midfield, good around goals, great mark for his size.

I'll miss him at the Bloods but he'll be exciting for the Power I'm sure.

Looks like the softening up process for Robbie Gray's debut has begun. Let's hope it's not just to be named as an emergency.

These stats highlight his allround game, especially as a forward.

The full article link is below.

PORT Adelaide could on Sunday unveil its version of Geelong star Gary Ablett junior.

While the Power won't say it publicly, it is convinced Ablett lookalike Robert Gray is a superstar in the making.

Don't know about you but i would cringe every time i read stuff like this concerning an untried youngster.

Don't know about you but i would cringe every time i read stuff like this concerning an untried youngster.

yup! pretty much...and then we'll have guys like jmorg start threads on bay 13 if he doesnt live up to the hype saying that he's crap, and we over-rated him etc. etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yup! pretty much...and then we'll have guys like jmorg start threads on bay 13 if he doesnt live up to the hype saying that he's crap, and we over-rated him etc. etc

We had posts on adelaide board comparing bock with carey and griffen with cox :D but meh....not worth bay13 material. Jmorg is desperate thats why he creates those threads.

Gray has certainly proved that he is too good for the SANFL level. Now making it in the AFL is a totally different story, however he did show some promising signs in the NAB cup. I am convinced that Gray will be a 200 gamer for us

He's been getting called the next Gary Ablett Jnr every since he got drafted.

Ford, those stats that Capel uses is straight out of Champion Data's 2007 AFL Prospectus. Typical, no acknowledgement of that. Fantasy Freako's assessment is that he "Is lively around goal. Won't find it easy in the AFL though."

And he was refered to as Gary Ablett clone before we drafted him. From Inside Football's draft review in November;
"Robbie is a Gary Ablett Jr clone. He looks like him, is exactly the same height, runs the same and he's the best player I've seen play footy below his knees....never fumbles. He can also take a mark," said Oakleigh Chargers coach Rohan Welsh.

Hopefully the kid is a bit of a livewire at AFL level and more importantly can kick straight. We have plenty of forwards who aren't super efficent at goalkicking.

With all due respect Noddy, have you seen Gray play at any level? I've seen a bit of him and I have also heard assessments of him made by David King (one of Richmond's assistant coaches) and I can safely say those comparisons are certainly around the mark. At TAC cup level and SANFL level, he has been quite a revelation. We await his AFL debut with baited breath.

By the way, if a player is weighed down by expectations/comparisons or media hype, then that players is not really up to it mentally IMO. I can't imagine a footballer going for a mark, hard ball, tackle or kicking for goal while at the same time thinking about who they have been compared to. Such players, if any, do not belong at this level.

We were reading the same stuff about van Berlo and Douglas.

With all due respect Noddy, have you seen Gray play at any level? I've seen a bit of him and I have also heard assessments of him made by David King (one of Richmond's assistant coaches) and I can safely say those comparisons are certainly around the mark. At TAC cup level and SANFL level, he has been quite a revelation. We await his AFL debut with baited breath.

By the way, if a player is weighed down by expectations/comparisons or media hype, then that players is not really up to it mentally IMO. I can't imagine a footballer going for a mark, hard ball, tackle or kicking for goal while at the same time thinking about who they have been compared to. Such players, if any, do not belong at this level.

No i have not seen him play & i am not saying he will not make it.

I don't agree or think that any young kid who has yet to play AFL should be compared to any player of the past/present like this & why put extra pressure on them when you don't have too ?

Today's young hopefuls should be able to cope with the extra pressures placed upon them at this level due to the level of commitment that is now demanded from such an early age. Not many people get to play at this level and Robbie would be well aware of his need to grasp this opportunity and continue his development into one of our finest players in our club. Most of the stars of the game are able to focus on ability rather than the hype, so it is only time that will tell us of what young Robbie is capable of sustaining.

Today's young hopefuls should be able to cope with the extra pressures placed upon them at this level due to the level of commitment that is now demanded from such an early age. Not many people get to play at this level and Robbie would be well aware of his need to grasp this opportunity and continue his development into one of our finest players in our club. Most of the stars of the game are able to focus on ability rather than the hype, so it is only time that will tell us of what young Robbie is capable of sustaining.

Exactly. I say put the acid on the kids as soon as you can. Pressure is the difference between diamonds and sand.

If an article highlighting one of our kids causes the kid to go off the rails - he ain't a longterm keeper anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back