Past Robert Muir - ABC Article

Circus

Wise Veteran
Apr 19, 2012
Smithton
AFL Club
St Kilda
I remember watching Robbie play knowing he could turn a game on its head, but fearing he would become derailed during its course. His pain and anger was so visceral it seemed to me to be due to racial abuse. After all, listening to supporters at any local game would give you proof that endemic racism always ready to bark its sickening spite across the arena. We grew up with it, it was normal, so there was no reason to suppose it was any different in the VFL just because it was on the telly.

Anyway, we didn't have any indigenous people living in Tassie because they had all been killed. We were taught that and our history books "proved" it. We had Maoris and Islander people though because they had mysteriously, and magically, "migrated" here. And they copped a lot of abuse, the better the player the louder the abuse.

So I thought Robbie was probably being abused and that he didn't like it but his teammates and the club were totally committed to his support and well-being. Because that's what you'd do for a teammate.

Nothing in yesterday's article surprised me but it certainly made me cry. Not only for the racism but for the whole bloody lot, the complete package of odds stacked against him a mile bloody high. He is a bloody hero.

I'm impressed with Finnis' and the club's response. As a club we should be proud of Robbie for still loving us despite our past neglect and for giving us the rare opportunity of being able to make up for it before its too late. This can be a wonderful pathway of healing for us all.

Fortius Quo Fidelius!!

Jun 14, 2015
Oslo
AFL Club
St Kilda
I love the idea of bringing back all the indigenous players that have played for the Saints to have a part during the next indigenous round. Have them form a line for the team to run through, or something like that.
Was genuinely emotional reading that. Sad for Robbie and his family, and actually quite angry about some of the things he has had to endure.

Yes it is a shame it took a media article to do it (a bloody good article too for the record), but kudos to the club for a great response. I hope they follow through on these promises in the months and years to come when the story is out of the spotlight.

And I also just wanted to agree with the above. The article says 29 current and former indigenous players have been at St.Kilda. If the club is serious in their response, they should be reaching out to those 23 other former players too. Love the idea of as many as possible being at the game next time around. Surely the club can arrange that

Gone over $100k now and still going. Hope he gets enough to make a real difference to their lives. His partner deserves a huge amount of credit, hopefully this can really make their lives a bit easier.

Jun 14, 2015
Oslo
AFL Club
St Kilda
Gone over $100k now and still going. Hope he gets enough to make a real difference to their lives. His partner deserves a huge amount of credit, hopefully this can really make their lives a bit easier.
Have to say, the response is helping restore my faith in people a little bit. Hopefully it does the same for Robbie.

Well done to all those that donated!

Strange as it seems, I'm beginning to hope they don't lift the target again once they get to $100k.

If it was me I'd be starting to think - yeah look this is fantastic and overwhelming but where the f*** was all this concern 20 years ago!!!

I played cricket with a Sri Lankan, me with 3 anglo names comprising my full name, his first two encompassing mine completely and he was about twice my size but as cuddly as a teddy bear personality wise. Made friends with a Samoan who was deep in religious aspects, befriended a Vietnamese bloke growing up and all my mother could utter was racist slurs at the lot of them for merely mentioning them. Fraudulent slips being what they are, I knew I screwed up many a time in gentle ribbing instances ie charcole chicken on visual clue since younger days, but still wrong and apology immediately followed as mates.

But, as soon as it was face to face, as soon as I brought home some of those Sri Lankan pastries and she joined the old man in seeing the cricket games, she mellowed and they were fine, she saw them as humans instead of just names.

Sometimes, it takes being smacked in the face with it to wake up instead of "I don't want you hanging around with that bloke with the funny name". Because it's casual racism for a reason and it's not because it's hard to spot, it's just hard to change.

I don't blame her at all, she grew up in a time when there was division, she was first cab off here after her mum ran from Nazi's after all, so the world was s**t back then with people looking at differences and having tolerances towards them, even fresh off the boats it was "friggen wogs" after all.

I played cricket with a Sri Lankan, me with 3 anglo names comprising my full name, his first two encompassing mine completely and he was about twice my size but as cuddly as a teddy bear personality wise. Made friends with a Samoan who was deep in religious aspects, befriended a Vietnamese bloke growing up and all my mother could utter was racist slurs at the lot of them for merely mentioning them. Fraudulent slips being what they are, I knew I screwed up many a time in gentle ribbing instances ie charcole chicken on visual clue since younger days, but still wrong and apology immediately followed as mates.

But, as soon as it was face to face, as soon as I brought home some of those Sri Lankan pastries and she joined the old man in seeing the cricket games, she mellowed and they were fine, she saw them as humans instead of just names.

Sometimes, it takes being smacked in the face with it to wake up instead of "I don't want you hanging around with that bloke with the funny name". Because it's casual racism for a reason and it's not because it's hard to spot, it's just hard to change.

I don't blame her at all, she grew up in a time when there was division, she was first cab off here after her mum ran from Nazi's after all, so the world was sh*t back then with people looking at differences and having tolerances towards them, even fresh off the boats it was "friggen wogs" after all.

It's amazing how when people get to know people from a different backgrounds they don't stay racist. People are scared of people that are different to them, once you meet them you realise that they aren't that different.

Feel free to discuss with this absolute knuckle-dragger... blocked me the second I retweeted it.

9A52583E-0D77-4D83-8ED3-0A2D63FC0973.jpeg

Saintsydney

Senior List
Nov 29, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Turns it from the message of supporting a man for surgery and to show we care to "let's see how high we can get".
It wasn't just about the surgery the original message on the gofundme page says

'Let’s raise enough for his surgery plus some extra to say that we appreciate his service and devotion to the St Kilda Club and his community.'

And if it was allowed to run until Friday 5pm for example it wouldn't be about "let's see how high we can get" it would be 'to say that we appreciate his service and devotion to the St Kilda Club and his community'

Who is the 'we' in your comment anyway ? Its about money going to Robbie Muir - who I think would be most grateful for every cent

I think the organisers of the Gofundme did an amazing job in setting it up - but its not about them - I don't see how they can say " As this fundraiser has far exceeded our expectations, we’re now closing the page "

Why couldn't people be given the opportunity to give if they want ? Set a closing time of 5pm on Friday and see what happens - it was closed before people even got home from work on the first business day that it was open.

I just think its an opportunity lost to perhaps raise $250k for the man

Again great job to the organisers for starting the page - I just would have liked to see it run a little longer

'Let’s raise enough for his surgery plus some extra to say that we appreciate his service and devotion to the St Kilda Club and his community.'

And if it was allowed to run until Friday 5pm for example it wouldn't be about "let's see how high we can get" it would be 'to say that we appreciate his service and devotion to the St Kilda Club and his community'

Who is the 'we' in your comment anyway ? Its about money going to Robbie Muir - who I think would be most grateful for every cent

I think the organisers of the Gofundme did an amazing job in setting it up - but its not about them - I don't see how they can say " As this fundraiser has far exceeded our expectations, we’re now closing the page "

Why couldn't people be given the opportunity to give if they want ? Set a closing time of 5pm on Friday and see what happens - it was closed before people even got home from work on the first business day that it was open.

Again great job to the organisers for starting the page - I just would have liked to see it run a little longer

Yeah, I would have loved to have changed his life in a huge way if we could have. Putting a deposit on a house or something would have been amazing.

Get off the horse mate.

Turns it from the message of supporting a man for surgery and to show we care...

And is a qualitative word, meaning in association with, not in exclusion of, your first line is utter rubbish and I'll not have my name dirtied by you misconstruing things in reading comprehension failure.

Who is the we in the second part? it's a statement on message; started as support robs surgery, show support for him turns to this gofundme for Rob broke this amount.

Rob becomes secondary in the statement.

But you don't care about that, you're on the horse and riding it hard with selective comprehension on 22 words.

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
Feel free to discuss with this absolute knuckle-dragger... blocked me the second I retweeted it.

View attachment 943980
Rohan Coventry, about 5 foot 4. I didn't realise that packed s**t that high.

Used to post on BF as Rohan_ and boast about being a Coventry. Collingwood supporter who stalked and broke into another Collingwood and BF poster called Mandy's house.

Enough info for you?

Saintsydney

Senior List
Nov 29, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Get off the horse mate.

Turns it from the message of supporting a man for surgery and to show we care...

And is a qualitative word, meaning in association with, not in exclusion of, your first line is utter rubbish and I'll not have my name dirtied by you misconstruing things in reading comprehension failure.

Who is the we in the second part? it's a statement on message; started as support robs surgery, show support for him turns to this gofundme for Rob broke this amount.

Rob becomes secondary in the statement.

But you don't care about that, you're on the horse and riding it hard with selective comprehension on 22 words.
I’m not trying to muddy your name

I’m not really understanding your reply above either - but all I’m saying is I think it’s a shame it didn’t run longer to raise more money - it was great that it was started and money was raised though

May 10, 2013
Queensland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, Baghdadian Babes
Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
So we have Collingwood FC giving an unreserved apology.
Kudo's to them.

Geelong and Carlton pay lip service with weasel words but no apology. Basically sad reading but bad luck.

Piss weak from both of them.

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Rohan Coventry, about 5 foot 4. I didn't realise that packed sh*t that high.

Used to post on BF as Rohan_ and boast about being a Coventry. Collingwood supporter who stalked and broke into another Collingwood and BF poster called Mandy's house.

Enough info for you?

Yeah Ive had a few twitter run ins with him.

He’s basically a petty little man who celebrates at the misfortune of others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back