Past Robert Muir - ABC Article

Jade Buddha

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
St Kilda
Feel free to discuss with this absolute knuckle-dragger... blocked me the second I retweeted it.

View attachment 943980
What else would you expect from a Collingwood supporter.
I’m not racist but I’m definitely clubist. Have nothing good to say about that repository of dung beetles

Rohan Coventry, about 5 foot 4. I didn't realise that packed sh*t that high.

Used to post on BF as Rohan_ and boast about being a Coventry. Collingwood supporter who stalked and broke into another Collingwood and BF poster called Mandy's house.

Enough info for you?
Is this true? Was he charged?

I said I'd post this earlier today but got caught up with work.

Matt spoke with Gerard on SEN this morning regarding Muir.

Terrific interview. Understandably he sounded very flat.

Glorious One

Cancelled
Jun 27, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
Rohan Coventry, about 5 foot 4. I didn't realise that packed sh*t that high.

Used to post on BF as Rohan_ and boast about being a Coventry. Collingwood supporter who stalked and broke into another Collingwood and BF poster called Mandy's house.

Enough info for you?
Not his name, has a different surname.

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC

Pleased with the response from Matt Finnis, he's really done the club proud. Likewise all the Saints fans who contributed so rapidly to the GoFundMe page.

We can't change the past unfortunately - even the very recent past - but the club can learn from its failures. More importantly, St Kilda can give due respect and reverence to Robert Muir and any other Saints players it has failed, indigenous or otherwise. I wonder if we could name some part of RSEA Park in his honour? A stand, a wing, something like that? He was a star of the seventies and deserves to have his name evoked in positive ways around the club.

Thanks to the journalist who bothered to write this sad story.

Done, thanks for linking that. Hope he gets more than the $25k. I hope the club also brings him back into the fold. You can't fix the past but you can fix the future and show him the respect he was denied for so long.

they got over $111k inside of 24 hours.

St Muir

All Australian
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'm a bit late on this one, I had to take a couple of days to let the emotions subside a tad. Obviously, I'm a huge fan. He was actually a brilliant footballer. Great mark for his size, prodigious kick, reasonably quick, intelligent ball use, great handling skills.
I used to get very upset at the way he was treated, ironically my last fight was defending him. You could see the whole damn thing being played out and I remember feeling utterly helpless to stop the vilification.
What hasn't been picked up on was that he was called 'animal' before the name 'mad dog' stuck. Oddly enough the whole club got that tag later after Sheedy bleated about his precious baby bombers.
Anyway, I'm very proud of the club for the way we've responded. There's a huge shift at the Saints. I reckon we've just killed off that bloody curse that's hung over us for a few decades now.

St Kilda Football Club CEO Matt Finnis has issued the following statement in relation to Robert Muir.

“Reading about the impact of racism on Robert Muir’s life in today’s ABC article will no doubt be confronting for everyone involved in football, as it was for me personally.

“We admire Robert’s courage to speak out about the racism he has endured and lack of support provided by our Club when he needed it most.

“We apologise unreservedly to Robert and his family and are humbled that he continues to love our Club.

“Today we celebrate the contribution Indigenous players have made to our game as part of the Sir Doug Nicholls Round. However, we must face the reality that the St Kilda Football Club has made grave errors in the past and may still be failing to grasp the full impact of the hurt felt by individuals, their families and all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.

“We are committed to reconciliation and justice, and must ensure that this commitment is not just about celebration of culture, and initiatives to support past and current players and junior footballers. We must also acknowledge our mistakes, and take action to repair harm and ensure mistakes are never repeated.

“We will reach out to Robert to apologise personally, to provide the necessary support now and in the future, and to ensure he feels the respect and sense of belonging he deserves as one of the St Kilda Football Club’s pioneering Indigenous footballers.

“We have much to learn from Robert’s story and are committed to rebuilding his relationship with St Kilda and our game at his pace.”

Just read the statement, just now listened to the Matt Finnis on SEN from yesterday. we have a great club now, with a very good CEO. obviously the saints made errors in the past, and once acknowledged all you can do is apologise and help and help the new. which is what it seems like they will do. !! good on them for an upfront statement.

Just read the statement, just now listened to the Matt Finnis on SEN from yesterday. we have a great club now, with a very good CEO. obviously the saints made errors in the past, and once acknowledged all you can do is apologise and help and help the new. which is what it seems like they will do. !! good on them for an upfront statement.

Finnis was a great operator at the AFLPA, he's got a very humanistic element and when ever there is something involving the need for proper compassionate interaction while acknowledging both sides, he's in his element. I don't think he's been ideal as far as having an eye over the on field operations but where he excels is in exactly these types of scenarios. I have met him and his wife outside the club and they both seem really genuine nice and honourable people. It's not a facade that he puts up for the media.

The amount of work that goes into getting something like this ticked off and out to the public and the person involved is huge, to do it in such a professional, compassionate, unreserved and timely manner on a game day interstate shows how much this meant to him. I don't give him much credit usually but this is one time I'm super proud of him and his response.

These kinds of situations require huge amounts of humility and the ability to look at things from the person on the other side's perspective. Eddie has always been great at standing up for Collingwood when they have backs against the wall. Unfortunately he would do things in the absolute opposite way to Finnis. He'd go in to bat for his club first which is the easy knuckle headed way to do it and he'd completely miss the target of who really needs to be stood up for.

St Kilda should organise something for our next indigenous round home game in Melbourne with Nicky and Robbie.

Imagine them walking out together, it would bring the house down.
I like your idea, but stkilda can be a leader in this,and review all past indigenous players to bring them all back into the fold. Like someone said earlier its should be just the famous nicky's that look up to. but all players from all races, creeds, religions .

Pleased with the response from Matt Finnis, he's really done the club proud. Likewise all the Saints fans who contributed so rapidly to the GoFundMe page.

We can't change the past unfortunately - even the very recent past - but the club can learn from its failures. More importantly, St Kilda can give due respect and reverence to Robert Muir and any other Saints players it has failed, indigenous or otherwise. I wonder if we could name some part of RSEA Park in his honour? A stand, a wing, something like that? He was a star of the seventies and deserves to have his name evoked in positive ways around the club.

Thanks to the journalist who bothered to write this sad story.
Probably not that far but yes he should be recognised in some way.

fjs5EF7.png

Sep 20, 2009
NSW
AFL Club
St Kilda
What else would you expect from a Collingwood supporter.
I’m not racist but I’m definitely clubist. Have nothing good to say about that repository of dung beetles

Dung beetles are useful.

I just read Roberts statement and although it was obvious in the article, there’s something nice about his love of the club despite all his hardships. That article could well be the best footy related story this year for the good it has done.

Crusty Undies

This means peace here!
Oct 22, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'm too young to have been around for any of what happened to Robbie. What I do know is how much Ray Shaw is revered by Collingwood: club, players and supporters. To think a premiership captain and supposedly someone they can all look up to thought it was appropriate to spit on another player for being black. Not at all surprised to learn some of the roots of why we truly hate the filth.

Crusty Undies

This means peace here!
Oct 22, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda

Collingwood have apologised, I wonder is Geelong and Carlton will do the same.
What a pathetic, hollow attempt at an apology. Four short paragraphs of blowing smoke up their own ass.

Back