Scandal Robert Muir

Remove this Banner Ad

Read this whilst having breakfast this morning.
Absolutely disgusting what he had to put up with and indeed many Aboriginal players (and umpire Glenn James) during that era.
I never knew Cable was of Aboriginal heritage until the early 90's, same with many other lighter skinned players. I realise why they may have preferred to keep this hidden considering the disgraceful behaviour and attitude from crowds, players and officials.
Ashamed to say my club is one of the worst.

God that was a bloody hard read.

Kind of ironic that this article is on the sub-board “Scandals and Rumours“ rather than main board as we celebrate indigenous round....

Sometimes I feel like topics are pushed to the scandal board as the mods would rather people not read them. Everyone knows that the scandal board gets a fraction of the internet traffic that the main board gets.

Sometimes I feel like topics are pushed to the scandal board as the mods would rather people not read them. Everyone knows that the scandal board gets a fraction of the internet traffic that the main board gets.

I thought about posting it on the Main board.

Mods feel free to move it if you want.

Great article. Disgusting what he and Aboriginal players in general went through.

Not surprising to see that flog Ralph Horowitz on twitter talking about how he doesn’t regret the scene on the Footy Show and calling people “woke warriors” who criticise it.

Very very sadly the abuse was quite common back then. Thank God our kids are raised differently these days and will hopefully only know a world without racism. Apart from the abuse from opponents and spectators I find it amazing the Ballarat Clubs don’t acknowledge his VFL Career with a pic on the wall. In 2020 that’s unthinkable. Hopefully someone at the Saints reads this article and the club reach out to help him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shocking that it needs to be pointed out that perhaps he was retaliating against vile abuse rather than just being a loose cannon.

Best of luck to Robbie and any player who has copped over the top abuse,be it racial or otherwise.

Just a question about the Footy Show appearance. At the time it was done as a skit, with the audience unaware, that much is clear. But when was the first time anyone from the show came out and said that they were all in on it and it was performative? Did they say later in the show that it was all in good fun, but by then the damage was done? the next week after the personal fallout for Muir? Or did it just never really happen?

Just a question about the Footy Show appearance. At the time it was done as a skit, with the audience unaware, that much is clear. But when was the first time anyone from the show came out and said that they were all in on it and it was performative? Did they say later in the show that it was all in good fun, but by then the damage was done? the next week after the personal fallout for Muir? Or did it just never really happen?

I don't think they ever addressed it. I used to watch the footy show all the time back in the day. I was pretty young back then and didn't know who Muir was until that segment. Stupidly I just thought he was a loose cannon, not that that it was a (obvious now) set up.

It's a shame someone like Mike Sheehan never sat down and did a proper interview with him.

I don't think they ever addressed it. I used to watch the footy show all the time back in the day. I was pretty young back then and didn't know who Muir was until that segment. Stupidly I just thought he was a loose cannon, not that that it was a (obvious now) set up.

It's a shame someone like Mike Sheehan never sat down and did a proper interview with him.
Mike Sheehan would have worn a nappy if he did.

'So Robbie, how much was your salary in 1978?'

I can still remember the appearance. At the time Muir was quite apprehensive afterwards. Along the lines of my mums gonna be filthy if she thinks it’s a real segment

The show did admit afterwards It was a skit. It was ‘implied’ given Newman was a wearing an obvious wig, but unfortunately viewers thought it was legit.

Pretty much sums it up. Growing up in the 80’s and 90’s I knew who Muir was. He was always painted as a loose cannon by the media, with no attention being paid to the provocation he received

Really disappointing to now realise it was openly known what was setting him of at the time. But the narrative remained the same

When I first saw Muir play, I never realised he was Aboriginal, nor did it matter. He was a footballer and a seemingly talented one. The Aboriginal players I'd watched prior to him had much darker skin. SANFL players such as David Kantilla, Roger Rigney, Bertie Johnson, and later one Michael Graham. They were clearly Aboriginal, but all that mattered to me was how they played the game.

Those players were extremely popular and I seriously cannot recall any racist comments directed towards them. Michael Graham had the sobriquet "Black Flash", but nobody seemed to mind. These days, Graham is referred to as "The Flash", so maybe there was an attempt to right a wrong. The only comment I ever heard from spectators I found a little racist was from a Port Adelaide fan calling Fabian Francis "midnight". I don't know, maybe I was too busy watching the football and appreciating great players to take notice of that crap.

To read Muir's story is horrific to say the least. Hearing about Geelong fans giving it to him is amazing because not long before that they were marveling at the exploits of the incomparable Graham 'Polly' Farmer, the greatest indigenous player of them all. Just shows how fickle and possibly stupid some footy fans can be.

I saw that incident with Muir on the Footy Show, but at the time I had come to understand how hard they worked to make people believe something was really happening when in reality it was staged. A classic example was the time Jason Dunstall shaved Sam's head with clippers. It astounded me how many people thought it was for real. I thought the Muir skit was all in good fun, a total put on, and I laughed. I thought "Good onya Robbie, taking the mickey out of yourself like that". I am aghast so many people took it seriously, so I guess TFS were being remiss in not explaining the joke.

It is terrible reading about the impact all this has had on his life, and we all should be ashamed of ourselves for allowing it to happen. Let's get Robbie Muir back, and this time find out more about the real Robert Muir.

When I first saw Muir play, I never realised he was Aboriginal, nor did it matter. He was a footballer and a seemingly talented one. The Aboriginal players I'd watched prior to him had much darker skin. SANFL players such as David Kantilla, Roger Rigney, Bertie Johnson, and later one Michael Graham. They were clearly Aboriginal, but all that mattered to me was how they played the game.

Those players were extremely popular and I seriously cannot recall any racist comments directed towards them. Michael Graham had the sobriquet "Black Flash", but nobody seemed to mind. These days, Graham is referred to as "The Flash", so maybe there was an attempt to right a wrong. The only comment I ever heard from spectators I found a little racist was from a Port Adelaide fan calling Fabian Francis "midnight". I don't know, maybe I was too busy watching the football and appreciating great players to take notice of that crap.

To read Muir's story is horrific to say the least. Hearing about Geelong fans giving it to him is amazing because not long before that they were marveling at the exploits of the incomparable Graham 'Polly' Farmer, the greatest indigenous player of them all. Just shows how fickle and possibly stupid some footy fans can be.

I saw that incident with Muir on the Footy Show, but at the time I had come to understand how hard they worked to make people believe something was really happening when in reality it was staged. A classic example was the time Jason Dunstall shaved Sam's head with clippers. It astounded me how many people thought it was for real. I thought the Muir skit was all in good fun, a total put on, and I laughed. I thought "Good onya Robbie, taking the mickey out of yourself like that". I am aghast so many people took it seriously, so I guess TFS were being remiss in not explaining the joke.

It is terrible reading about the impact all this has had on his life, and we all should be ashamed of ourselves for allowing it to happen. Let's get Robbie Muir back, and this time find out more about the real Robert Muir.
I only saw Robert Muir play live once, against Sturt at Unley Oval. I was a kid and was looking forward to the game. I also had no idea he was aboriginal. It was a pretty uneventful game. I have no recollection of any controversy anyway.

Loved watching Michael Graham as kid as well. Wilbur Wilson was another crowd favourite.

I only saw Robert Muir play live once, against Sturt at Unley Oval. I was a kid and was looking forward to the game. I also had no idea he was aboriginal. It was a pretty uneventful game. I have no recollection of any controversy anyway.

Loved watching Michael Graham as kid as well. Wilbur Wilson was another crowd favourite.

Yes, Wilbur Wilson as well, and there were others. The crowds just seemed to love them, so I guess I was blissfully unaware of any racism towards them. Silly me, treating it like a game :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back