Opinion Robert Muir

Remove this Banner Ad

You know what's amazing about that footage?

Not one genuine bump. Not one. Brereton did them, so did Ablett. Matthews didn't do any. And there wasn't one thing where the opponent saw him coming.

And he's still worshipped.
That video, used as evidence, would get anyone today locked up for several years.
Yet it exists as some form of entertainment.
I wonder if he's proud of it?

My memory of Robert Muir is a very positive one.
He had unbelievable skills.
Combination of Buddha and McLeod level talent.
Would do anything for his team.
Loved him.
Didn't understand his anger but now my confusion is gone about that.
Very sad his career was damaged as a result.
Could have been anything.
I hope the league and his transgressors all stand up and be counted for.
Was a different time when hitting people's weaknesses was accepted and encouraged.
I am sorry his life has been so adversely affected.
One of my favourites
Hope he gets a boost up from this!

Back when some of us old farts were playing teams really didn't like each other,you would often hear the word tribal mentioned it was suburb against suburb in pitch battle,now today a player will move from club to club at a drop of a hat and are all lovey dovey after games,bring back the biff.:)
Hell yeah people think in here you should be ashamed for being dirty back then no way loved it, and if you gived it out you got it back in the vfa great dirty league

Boomers...
If they wanted to assualt people they should of just taken up boxing
In my old suburban team we had a bloke who'd had a short pro boxing career back i9n the day.
One game, there was a 4 or 5 man scrum, and at the end of it, there was an opposition player flat on his back, unmoving.
The ump said (I kid you not) "I didn't see what you did there Apples, but you're reported".

Heartbreaking to hear Robert’s story - after a horrible childhood, the place that should have made him feel safe and valued was the reverse. You can bet that Robert’s story is so, so common with indigenous athletes. This is a wonderful country but man, there is so much ugliness about our past and even our present - we really need to confront and own this. We are making progress but there is a hell of a lot more to do.

Hopefully coming forward brings some understanding, recognition and peace for Robert.

Last edited:
Heartbreaking to hear Robert’s story - after a horrible childhood, the place that should have made him feel safe and valued was the reverse. You can bet that Robert’s story is so, so common with indigenous athletes. This is a wonderful country but man, there is so much ugliness about our past and even our present - we really need to confront and own this. We are making progress but there is a hell of a lot more to do.

Hopefully coming forward brings some understanding, recognition and peace for Robert.

Go back a generation (and even in the present) and it's not just the indigenous who have similar upbringings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back