Robert Shaw

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting thoughts by Robert Shaw on C7's Football Feedback programme. He said that "everything Essendon are today (and last year) we owe to North Melbourne...". He went on to say that North showed them how hard and mentally tough they needed to be to be successful. I know a few Essendon supporters who would have hated that!! Laid it on a bit TOO thick though,I think he may have had an eye on Round 1!!

I think some of the more clued up Essendon fans on this board recognise the contribution that North have made to their playing culture. For many years, we were able to hurt them with our high impact style of game (where we took the physical presense of the 80s Hawks and added the 1 percenters of the 90s Eagles) and they've copied that and added a new dimension to it with their running/passing style of game. Even their president, Peter Jackson (?) has said in the past that they've used our club as a role model for the attitude required to get to the top.

As for us, Denis Pagan has paid tribute to David Parkin as a major influence on his coaching, and he has also said that his one year of coaching Essendon reserves was an invaluable experience for him.

[This message has been edited by Shinboners (edited 13 March 2001).]

Typical. Last night I had to go out just before Robert Shaw came on, I asked my Bummer husband to tell me what he said. Now how come he didnt tell me this, typical bloody Essendon supporter, they want to take all the credit for themselves. If it had of been one of our clubmen saying that about the Bummers he would have rang me just to tell me. See this is why I cant stand, most Bummers .

Daph... Leave the Bastard... no seriously are they not all the same... you should see how they have all gone so quiet at work... I just give them the five fingers now... you know... five losses in a row... I will need to use two hands next week...

Rooboy96 we usually fight al through the footy season, we can often be heard arguing in bed at anytime of the night , even at six in the morning while he is getting dressed for work, and then when he leaves it will continue on the mobile, Its not that i want the last say, its just that I have to, unfortunately Bummer husband wants to too. We have a very nice life for six months of the year and then unless the Kangas look like finishing up on top I am not a very plesant person to live with. But then he is still here so something must be working. But we just take it year by year.
rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by Shinboners:
I think some of the more clued up Essendon fans on this board recognise the contribution that North have made to their playing culture. For many years, we were able to hurt them with our high impact style of game (where we took the physical presense of the 80s Hawks and added the 1 percenters of the 90s Eagles) and they've copied that and added a new dimension to it with their running/passing style of game. Even their president, Peter Jackson (?) has said in the past that they've used our club as a role model for the attitude required to get to the top.

As for us, Denis Pagan has paid tribute to David Parkin as a major influence on his coaching, and he has also said that his one year of coaching Essendon reserves was an invaluable experience for him.

[This message has been edited by Shinboners (edited 13 March 2001).]

Shinners,
I'm the first to admit we have 'modelled' ourselves on your blokes style of game. A lot of Bomber people thought we lost our way in the mid 90's with our recruiting. Often overlooking 'hard at it' players in preference for skilful, 'outriding' flankers/wingers. Resulting in having bugger- all 'getters' and too many 'takers'. I used to really get annoyed at the way you blokes intimidated and pushed us around.

Some will disagree, but i really think the 'Marshmallow' thing of '98 had some merit. Despite a lot of Essendon folk dismissing this as rubbish, i really believe we were 'soft'. At that time we had that stupid dinky little 'possession game'. Chip here, chip there, go backwards 'Just kick the bloody thing!', then.. crunch! That style of game never worked (i bloody hated it!) at the best of times. Not least against a physical side like North.

At the end of 98, the club realised changes had to be made. Whether they were right or wrong, the perception of Essendon was that we didn't like it tough, soft, whatever, some people didn't take us seriously. And i believed it.

Sheeds said in an interview about our change in style recently 'There comes a time when you've gotta blow up the table and start again'. The 'possession game' was crap and a pain in the arse to watch. I love the physical style of game we play now. And yeah..we have you blokes to thank for it.
Cheers.

where's wally?

theres no doubt the kangaroos were the benchmark for essendon and everyone at the club believed that

the 98 incident was a big turning point for essendon and kangaroos should take some credit for were essendon is now (no that doesnt mean you can have the cup)

i would say that kangaroos are all w***ers but im wrong its only rooboy

Originally posted by Wally:

At that time we had that stupid dinky little 'possession game'. Chip here, chip there, go backwards

Yeah, that used to really $hit me. As shinners says Essendon have taken it a step further with the running game incorporated into it. Be interesting to see if North can match it and take it to another level again.

Of course they will, Essendon just passed over us last year, you dont think that our lot will let them do that this year do you. It will be the same as Collingwood, they hated what Collingwood did to us in that last game. Even though it was only an Ansett cup game they showed exactly what they thought of Collingwood, that is exactly what they can expect when we meet them in the Home and aways, same as Essendon and the Sydney Swans when we meet them. Well I have convinced myself of that, I hope I have you as well.

Well, with the way the game has evolved, Essendon are the new benchmark. It seems that every few years, a club will set a standard that you think cannot be matched, and yet, someone does. In the 80s, we had the Hawks physical intimidations. In the 90s, there was the Eagles one-percenters. Then North which combined these two, but also brought back the Hafey straight down the middle style of play, but also extreme discipline in sticking to this plan. The 97/98 Adelaide side then added unpredictability and flair with the likes of McLeod and Jarman, and now Essendon 2000 seem to have combined all these factors into the one side.

It's a new standard, but everytime we see a dominant side, we always think that they're set to dominate for years, but the opposition clubs always manage to beat the standard and set a new one. We're just hoping it'll be North that can be the club that sets the new standard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back