Player Watch #6 Robbie Tarrant - Retiring effective immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

IMO it's why 2 years for Tarrant is a bit of a risk.
IF we were to bomb in 2022, miss finals or say make an EF and get barrelled by 40 points, then it might be time to look to the youth.
If that's the case, what purpose would Tarrant serve in 2023 if we are rebuilding? We'd be better off playing a Miller or Nyuon, or some other younger KPD. Tarrant would just be taking games for no purpose.
Whats the difference to us signing Astbury to a 2 year deal ?

They have both played the same amount of games the last 2 years and Astbury has missed games with injury where Tarrant has not only had illness this year
He played all games in 2019 and all games in 2020 and missed games this year with the kidney issue but not injury

Tarrant has been more reliable and a better player

IF we were to bomb in 2022, miss finals or say make an EF and get barrelled by 40 points, then it might be time to look to the youth.
If that's the case, what purpose would Tarrant serve in 2023 if we are rebuilding? We'd be better off playing a Miller or Nyuon, or some other younger KPD. Tarrant would just be taking games for no purpose.

It's not easy to win flags.

AlWays going to be some risk

Last edited:

What if we get everyone fit, and work out how to tweak our game plan to be super competitive. There is a premiership waiting for us then. And right now we are missing a centre piece of a good team, a top end KPD.

I'd rather roll the dice with what we have than not do it.

IF we are rebuilding. That's why we need him. Because as of right now, with the list we have, we are a genuine chance for a top 4 finish. Assuming Miller and Biggie (I've delisted Garth) are still on the list-another 12 months development (assuming a full season of VFL and some AFL games when opportunity occurs), and we'll probably grab a decent KPD this draft (hopefully Balta type).

I can't see the problem with it. The depth will be there and Tarrant can help develop them. We've got another year or two to try and snag another flag with some champion players. Plenty and draft picks coming in for the next cohort. My concern is the mids. Need RCD, Dow, Martyn and hopefully a ready to go pick 7 to step up - ripping VFL games apart with 30+ possies.

Edit: and just read that Sen article now and " that's what I'm talking about!"

Triple M's Damian Barrett has questioned North Melbourne's list management after it was revealed Robbie Tarrant would be departing the Kangaroos in this off-season.

Tarrant will take up a two-year deal at Richmond as an unrestricted free agent, with North Melborune releasing a statement on Saturday to confirm the news.

Barrett said the departure of Tarrant - similarly to Ben Brown last year - left a "sour taste".

"It's a massive hole, Jim," he explained on Triple M's Rush Hour.

"They low-balled him. They then added a year to it after they knew that he was real, and they had allowed him to get his head around going elsewhere, and then added a bit more money to it as well.

"If you're going to do it to someone who's been so loyal to you over the journey, make your first offer the best offer, not the one on the run."

JB pointed out it made an already-thin part of the ground even thinner for the Roos, who ranked 18th in the competition for defending inside 50s in 2021.

"I would have thought you'd be trying to bolster that area," he said.

Triple M's Damian Barrett has questioned North Melbourne's list management after it was revealed Robbie Tarrant would be departing the Kangaroos in this off-season.

Tarrant will take up a two-year deal at Richmond as an unrestricted free agent, with North Melborune releasing a statement on Saturday to confirm the news.

Barrett said the departure of Tarrant - similarly to Ben Brown last year - left a "sour taste".

"They low-balled him. They then added a year to it after they knew that he was real, and they had allowed him to get his head around going elsewhere, and then added a bit more money to it as well.

"If you're going to do it to someone who's been so loyal to you over the journey, make your first offer the best offer, not the one on the run."

JB pointed out it made an already-thin part of the ground even thinner for the Roos, who ranked 18th in the competition for defending inside 50s in 2021.

Barrett just showing his bias. He knows the Roos are in for some lean years. But that’s ok, they have a good set up now and they’ll be better at picks and development than any time in their history

it really is just ripping off the band aid letting Robert go. Sooner they can play the kids and turn over the lid the better

My thoughts are they look at the injury list of 2021 and think with a better run and a refresh we are able to contend again one last time, Tarrant is there to help us do that playing the Astbury role.

If we bomb again in 2022, or don't look close to a flag, then it will be time to bite the bullet, say goodbye to a few more elder club champs (likely to happen either way), and look to rebuild around the next generation of Balta, Bolton, Baker, Stack, RCD, the first rounders in this draft, etc.

I lean towards our window has passed and we have been overtaken by other teams, but may as well have one last crack with a fit list.

Pretty much my sentiments. We absolutely should give it one last crack. We'll need some luck but then again, every club needs a little luck to get to the GF. No point wasting blokes like Martin, Cotchin, Riewoldt, Edwards etc... on a rebuild.

Great pick up. Very resilient and can add plenty as a shutdown back on the big forwards.

If he ends up injured, or we bomb out again, then he can help out as a defensive development coach
Given the limits to the soft cap, it would be a way to help get some extra help developing our kids.

Barrett just showing his bias. He knows the Roos are in for some lean years. But that’s ok, they have a good set up now and they’ll be better at picks and development than any time in their history

it really is just ripping off the band aid letting Robert go. Sooner they can play the kids and turn over the lid the better
I think they will be keeping the lid on for a few years yet. 😄

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Captain-Kirk-McCoy.jpg

Couldn't help myself...

Most of the North board think our window is shut.

We might not win another one but to say we are on the decline because of our sh*t year is a bit of wishful thinking.

We’d be saying the same if it was another team in our position. To be fair, it probably is. I think the club will give it one last crack, but unless we change it up in 2022, we won’t get near it. We were miles off in 2021

FMD just had a look at the Norf thread in the Tarrant thread between page 229-233

The melts are unbelievable , Tarrant is now public enemy #1 and disloyal so and so
the backlash is 10 x what you would find on the Coleman Jones thread and for a life member who has given them his all after 14 years

loyal leader giving them the F*** You and coming to the mighty RFC and shitting on the minnow club is delicious
Worth a read

FMD just had a look at the Norf thread in the Tarrant thread between page 229-233

The melts are unbelievable , Tarrant is now public enemy #1 and disloyal so and so
the backlash is 10 x what you would find on the Coleman Jones thread and for a life member who has given them his all after 14 years

loyal leader giving them the F*** You and coming to the mighty RFC and shitting on the minnow club is delicious
Worth a read
Nah we wish him all the best, he's a gun.

Hope he gets a Premiership with you guys.

Go read the pages i posted
Your board pretty much have dogged him hard
We all have those supporters that don't agree on everything.

Other supporters simply don't care who comes and goes on our list as it's a business, but the majority of us are happy for Taz to go and chase a premiership as he's been a warrior for us over the journey and we'll never forget that.

Good luck to him, he'll be a rock down back for the Tiges.

We all have those supporters that don't agree on everything.

Other supporters simply don't care who comes and goes on our list as it's a business, but the majority of us are happy for Taz to go and chase a premiership as he's been a warrior for us over the journey and we'll never forget that.

Good luck to him, he'll be a rock down back for the Tiges.
Richmond were into Tarrant end of 2018 i think it was after Rance retired and chased him hard but he stayed loyal and didnt move (big mistake)
The problems he has had with Rawlings is under played by the north board but are real and deep. Whilst its hard for norf supporters to accept Tarrant was always leaving when richmnd approached him again and he didnt even consider the north extension.
He is going to be a massive loss for North as you have nobody to replace him onfield or leadership in the backline.

North have taken Cj But Richmond has just ripped the heart out of north at a stage where young players need leadership and culture
Lets hope the plan works where in 2 years Tarrant passes the baton onto Ben Makay as he will be a free agent

Gives great flexiblilty. Key position group Tarrant Balta Miller, intercept group Grimes Vlastuin Broad Balta(either group), Attacking rebounders Short Rioli Stack Mansell (with extra confidence), small lockdown Mansell,potential to be used further upfield Balta Broad Stack , break and use in case of emergency Biggy

Richmond were into Tarrant end of 2018 i think it was after Rance retired and chased him hard but he stayed loyal and didnt move (big mistake)
The problems he has had with Rawlings is under played by the north board but are real and deep. Whilst its hard for norf supporters to accept Tarrant was always leaving when richmnd approached him again and he didnt even consider the north extension.
He is going to be a massive loss for North as you have nobody to replace him onfield or leadership in the backline.

North have taken Cj But Richmond has just ripped the heart out of north at a stage where young players need leadership and culture
Lets hope the plan works where in 2 years Tarrant passes the baton onto Ben Makay as he will be a free agent
Yeah, Nah..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back