Robert Walls back to Carlton?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nisbett is our CEO. It's not his job to micro manage everyone and i don't belive he gets involved in football department matters.

More importantly, all those names have been involved at clubs for a long time. They know how clubs have evolved. Walls' experience is not contemporary, which may make his influence counter productive.

Ultimately, I think if you went through a genuine recruitment process, you'd easily find better candidates.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
So what was the possible role earmarked for Walls? You don't know do you? Neither do I but until I do I won't say whether or not I think he suited.

Tom Browne reporting on Talking Footy that two influential powerbreakers at Carlton have engaged Walls and are pushing for him to be inserted into the football dept next year.

His role would be to observe absolutely everything in the footy dept and advise Bolton and others.

Bit of frustration at the speed of the rebuild and it’s a way for these powerbrokers to make sure everything is on track.

What do you reckon? A good thing for Bolton to have an experienced head around? After all, it’s not like having a “senior assistant” in the background that could bring pressure - Walls is never going to take his job.

Or is it a terrible idea that Bolton will see as a challenge to his authority?

(For those with an appreciation of old football docos, it sounds a bit like Big Ron Manager!)
the guy is full of negativity, old school thinking and for the most part non insightful commentary, what could we possibly stand to gain from bringing him in to Carlton, please no.

Tom Browne reporting on Talking Footy that two influential powerbreakers at Carlton have engaged Walls and are pushing for him to be inserted into the football dept next year.

His role would be to observe absolutely everything in the footy dept and advise Bolton and others.

Bit of frustration at the speed of the rebuild and it’s a way for these powerbrokers to make sure everything is on track.

What do you reckon? A good thing for Bolton to have an experienced head around? After all, it’s not like having a “senior assistant” in the background that could bring pressure - Walls is never going to take his job.

Or is it a terrible idea that Bolton will see as a challenge to his authority?

(For those with an appreciation of old football docos, it sounds a bit like Big Ron Manager!)
a good thing to have a senior head- the RIGHT type of senior head.
Anyways, Robert Walls doesn't have a very good track record as a coach (besides 1987) anyhow

a good thing to have a senior head- the RIGHT type of senior head.
Anyways, Robert Walls doesn't have a very good track record as a coach (besides 1987) anyhow

As much as everybody likes to take the piss out of him, I’m don’t think his coaching record is as bad as many make out.

He had a solid winning record at a perennial struggler in Fitzroy.

He won a flag at Carlton which despite what some say, is never something simple that anybody can achieve... there’s plenty of opportunity for a bad coach to derail a premiership-quality team. And he got them there.

Brisbane was an absolute disaster of a club but he still managed some big wins, even taking them to the finals in his last year, when they got within a couple of goals of one of the great Carlton sides.

Richmond was obviously a failure.

What's Ted Hopkins doing these days? Maybe he's up for the job too.

Made a fortune as the co-founder of Champion Data. Has his own sports data firm now, TedSport.

Would probably have more to offer from an analytical perspective on today's on-field game than Walls would.

Last edited:
I thought we were rid of the cynical old campaigner Walls when he made a song and dance of retiring to France a few years back. He then quietly snuck back into the media, and now people want him back in footy admin? He's 20 years removed from any direct involvement with a footy club! Talk about outdated!

As much as everybody likes to take the piss out of him, I’m don’t think his coaching record is as bad as many make out.

He won a flag at Carlton which despite what some say, is never something simple that anybody can achieve... there’s plenty of opportunity for a bad coach to derail a premiership-quality team. And he got them there.

Brisbane was an absolute disaster of a club but he still managed some big wins, even taking them to the finals in his last year, when they got within a couple of goals of one of the great Carlton sides.

True but he's really stuck in some backward place with his commentary and tbh don't think he'd add much in the way of insight or useful experience, considering he hasn't coached in 20 yrs!

It just said for a 'role' ... not head of Footy so unless you can tell me what that would entail, I wouldn't be that quick to dismiss it.

All I've got to go on is the OP which said

What type of role does that sound like to you?

People love to stick it into Wallsy but he calls it as he sees it and usually sees it pretty good. So what if he tipped the Eagles for the spoon. He also tipped six finalists.

I too thought the impact of losing Mitchell & Priddis would be greater. I had never heard of Ryan & Willie Rioli. I never knew Jack Redden would grow a set or the impact Mitchell would have in the coaches box etc. Looks like most the Eagles fans did though of course ...

Sounds like you are well qualified for a role in the Carlton footy department. Time to dusty off the resume?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only insertion going on for Walls is by a proctologist probing his prostate.

Been out of the game for far too long and an enormous amount has changed. I feel he would be too old school and have the old mentality that we have worked hard to get rid of. I doubt this would be serious. We already have Brad Lloyd as the new head of football, this is his job.

This would be an utterly ridiculous move.

Walls is like all old school Carlton people, when things are wrong they get flustered and all they can say is "sack the coach".

We've finally got rid of the everything comes down to the coach mentality at Carlton and I hope it stays this way.

I don't even have a hate boner for Walls like many seem to but I mean jesus he got sacked with the legendary 80's Carlton team, I can't say he's out of touch he was never in touch.
I remember when we got Clarko there were a lot of voices in the club like Brereton that wanted Terry Wallace but the people making decisions were a lot smarter than that, hopefully for Carlton this is just one of those things.

All I've got to go on is the OP which said

What type of role does that sound like to you?
Sounds like a consultancy/review type role in observing the footy dept. Were it to be to oversee the dept (i.e. Football Manager) then that is a different type of responsibility altogether.

Mixed bag as a coach - actually did well at Fitzroy, Carlton flag then failed, Brisbane really tough but did well to improve them each year - Richmond major fail.

A lot of experience though.

It’s very Carlton. The club is basically surrounded at all times by groups of rich old white men who take turns at toppling each other’s regimes.

One would assume this particular faction is not at the cutting edge of modern day football if Robert Walls overseeing the entire football department is their opening gambit.

As opposed to all those non white men at other clubs?

End of the day Wallsy being involved isn’t the apocalypse, but whatever we do will be considered lol worthy until we show tangible signs of improvement onfield

Personally I think it would be a great move to have Walls in this role - Walls’ has hard views. I can see if Bolton is going to pick 2 list cloggers for the next game Walls would have the guts to question this- there are many such examples.

Less O’s**t and Shaw and more younger kids? Maybe, the result couldn’t of been worse

Remove this Banner Ad

Back