Rumour Roberton surgery

Remove this Banner Ad

Rizz64

Team Captain
Oct 26, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hi all, first time threader here.
Hearing rumours that Roberton went in for surgery in the last couple of days and the results were not what was intended.

i dont have a sauce or anything like that, it is just a rumour i have heard. Can anyone confirm or deny thia please?

Really wishing Robbo a speedy recovery

Can't confirm or deny. There was mention of him being very emotional after our game last Saturday.

from what i heard from a guy who works in insurance the other day is the thing that may rule him out for good is the risk of him on field.. basically every player is covered by an insurance (workers comp) umbrella for Roberton with his heart condition the question is if anyone anywhere would insure a player who has a real life threatening risk involved ... the AFL would be very very worried about the possible worst case of letting play again .. i dunno if this guy was on the money but it did make sence to me that this would be a consideration ....

I actually don't want him to return, I mean it in a the most respectable way, theres just too much involved. His priority should be staying healthy for his kids, young family can't afford to lose him. I'm sure the club will find a way to keep him with us in a coaching role. I'd love him to play but it's not worth it if it could put his life in Danger for good.

I actually don't want him to return, I mean it in a the most respectable way, theres just too much involved. His priority should be staying healthy for his kids, young family can't afford to lose him. I'm sure the club will find a way to keep him with us in a coaching role. I'd love him to play but it's not worth it if it could put his life in Danger for good.
see i heard from an unreliable source that the condition itself is unclear what is causing it and technically he is good to go until he isnt... so the reality of it is he could have an issue running off half back or it could be an issue walking to the shops to get milk... so while the sentimate of just give the game away for your family is a fair thought the condition is no less a risk with him having a desk job than it is him playing .. hence why its such a serious case its almost like a ticking bomb that he could have an episode at any time doing anything...
really scary stuff if what i heard is true

from what i heard from a guy who works in insurance the other day is the thing that may rule him out for good is the risk of him on field.. basically every player is covered by an insurance (workers comp) umbrella for Roberton with his heart condition the question is if anyone anywhere would insure a player who has a real life threatening risk involved ... the AFL would be very very worried about the possible worst case of letting play again .. i dunno if this guy was on the money but it did make sence to me that this would be a consideration ....
If he obtains a certificate of capacity from his Doctor clearing him fully fit to perform his pre injury duties, then he would be covered under Workcover if something does happen.

I work with a relative of Robertons. Im on holidays at the moment but when back at work i will suss him out for any news.
This of course will elevate me to ITK status.
b80e53ecee0d6d71d6bd38dcf5b336a0.gif

If he obtains a certificate of capacity from his Doctor clearing him fully fit to perform his pre injury duties, then he would be covered under Workcover if something does happen.
the issue is getting that certificate

Can’t insurance certificates contain exclusions on preexisting conditions at worse case scenario??
They're not really INSURANCE certs so to speak.. They're certificate of capacity. If you obtain a full clearance, you are right to go.. if you obtain a cert stating you are fit for modified/light/ alternative duties, the GP will outline some restrictions.

I spoke to a family friend and was told that Robbo had a cardiac ablation last week to remove the troublesome tissue that was causing his heart rhythm problem. It is apparently a very common procedure and you can usually go home the same day. If it is successful he will be ready to go for next season and hopefully start training in a month or two.

From what I heard, it all sounds very promising.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I spoke to a family friend and was told that Robbo had a cardiac ablation last week to remove the troublesome tissue that was causing his heart rhythm problem. It is apparently a very common procedure and you can usually go home the same day. If it is successful he will be ready to go for next season and hopefully start training in a month or two.

Thanks for the info Robbie , that is great news

that would make sense, perhaps the news the OP has received, if true, is that maybe the issue has persisted. quick google shows most patients need a 2nd round of surgery

They're not really INSURANCE certs so to speak.. They're certificate of capacity. If you obtain a full clearance, you are right to go.. if you obtain a cert stating you are fit for modified/light/ alternative duties, the GP will outline some restrictions.
NO RUCK FOR YOU!

I have a pacemaker and it has been suggested to me to have an ablation. I haven’t as yet, but may do in the future. That procedure isn’t risk free, but if it works can be quite beneficial. Each heart situation is different, so it is hard to speculate. So much more expertise now in that field so they will get to the right answer. Living longer is high percentage if you are an average joe. Professional sportsmen another thing.

Bit like Paddy. Hard for laymen to speculate.

You can have stuff
I had my heart restarted due to Atrial Fibliration - an irregular pulse that was all over the shop!

I’ve been in a regular beat ever since - now over 3 years!

Lucky me!

I bet they put you on Beta Blockers though.

I'm only guessing but it sounds a bit like Roberton's heart is at risk of doing strange s**t at really high pulse rates.
Beta Blockers are a standard treatment for that......but....
If you're on them, and you get to a certain level of exertion its like hitting a wall. You just have to stop.
I can't believe you'd play AFL footy on them.

Good news is that if you make it through a heart issue without lasting damage, and you stick to the medication, you are less likely to die from a heart related issue than a lot of other people who have never been diagnosed.

get the right cardiac electrician to find the correct wrong wiring and ablate and he is cured. May take a few goes. Hopefully the right cardiologist finds the right spot.

Good news Doc, I'm not sure our resident Doctor is going to like the competition though.

Good news Doc, I'm not sure our resident Doctor is going to like the competition though.
If you have a heart problem , the last thing you want to do is stress it out - would love Roberton back , but after last year when he collapsed I never would of thought he would get back to playing and that was last year.

Same goes with McCartin the risk these guys have taken to get back on the park are huge - imagine if McCartin copped a big hit , the last one he copped I wouldn't of classed a big hit and he still has problems.

If you have a heart problem , the last thing you want to do is stress it out - would love Roberton back , but after last year when he collapsed I never would of thought he would get back to playing and that was last year.

Same goes with McCartin the risk these guys have taken to get back on the park are huge - imagine if McCartin copped a big hit , the last one he copped I wouldn't of classed a big hit and he still has problems.

I reckon that if not right no one will clear them. I'm confident that if they get back they will be right to play. A friend had a slow to recover concussion and seems alright now. I had a glass jaw like Paddy and went out cold from hits when I was younger, I seem okay now...well some would argue otherwise but as long as I'm oblivious it doesn't matter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back