News Roberton to step aside for 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Really disappointed, can bet he'll still develop his coaching skills and still contribute to the club this year but I'd much rather have him out in the field. Health has to come first though

My mate who is a huge Freo fan told me he was going to be a gun and was really disappointed when he left them. I was at Etihad for his first NAB cup game and he was excellent. He showed the player he'd become at the Saints, with precise kicking and creative distribution. Having met him a few times he comes across as a humble, respectful good guy. His last full season he was possibly our best player and unlucky not to make the final cut for AA. He'll be a massive loss on field and I just hope he can be taken in to the club in some capacity. I'm gutted to lose him and his loss is a huge blow to the club on every level. Best wishes to him if he can't get back, he deserves every success in life.

Such a sad story, but i think we would all prefer he sits out or retires before collapsing on the field a second time. Keep him involved with the club in another capacity or let another club take him into their coaching ranks. There is so much more to lose than missing out on a longer playing career. Paddy is the same although as fans we obviously know a lot less about the seriousness of his condition, but that long term threat is very real.

Whilst we all acknowledge he is a massive loss it's now up to the coaches and players to make sure this doesn't define us as a club that needs everything to go right to have any success.

The pies had a shocking injury run last year but they went within a whisker of winning the flag. I'm not suggesting we have a team to make the GF, but we also don't have to fall apart either.

I've liked the messages coming out of the club re the players seeking redemption. Now let's see if they back those words up. I'm quietly confident they will.

Nobody can deny that we got great service from Robbo.
Unlucky not to be All-Australian. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to work out he will need to have a change of career though. I just want to wish him and his family all the best , and say thanks.
Hope he stays involved at the club. The club should push for special dispensation from the usual father-son rule requirements , given Dylan was so close to qualifying , the medical situation , and the fact that the club has benifitted the least , since the rules inception. The club even lost Ashley McIntosh to the Eagles because of this stupid rule , and it may have contributed to our recent Grand Final losses given who Geelong and Collingwood had playing. Fair crack of the whip AFL , time to do a righteous thing.

Nobody can deny that we got great service from Robbo.
Unlucky not to be All-Australian. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to work out he will need to have a change of career though. I just want to wish him and his family all the best , and say thanks.
Hope he stays involved at the club. The club should push for special dispensation from the usual father-son rule requirements , given Dylan was so close to qualifying , the medical situation , and the fact that the club has benifitted the least , since the rules inception. The club even lost Ashley McIntosh to the Eagles because of this stupid rule , and it may have contributed to our recent Grand Final losses given who Geelong and Collingwood had playing. Fair crack of the whip AFL , time to do a righteous thing.

Not to make light of Roberton’s situation by talking about “selfish” things such as Father/Son rules, but a scaling system for injury-shortened careers like this could easily be implemented.

Place a minimum game requirement (80?) over a certain number of years, such that it ensures this wasn’t a fringe player who could’ve made 100 games, but someone who genuinely would’ve been selected if available. Then offer a credit of X games per year lost to injury; for example, a 27 year old retiring gets 5-10 games credited per year that they’d miss up until the average retirement age.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back