News Roberton to step aside for 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Human Person

Custom title
Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Heart breaking news for the guy. All the best Robbo. Get better soon.

Roberton to miss 2019 season after irregularities were found with his heart’s rhythm at the conclusion of our match against the Dogs.

From Saints.com

St Kilda defender Dylan Roberton will sit out the 2019 season due to a heart condition.
A review of data from an internal device in Roberton’s chest showed a period of irregularity before it activated at the conclusion of Sunday’s JLT clash in Ballarat.
The cause of the irregularity is still unknown, with Roberton keen to explore all medical options.
READ: Jonathon Marsh is with St Kilda

The 27-year-old’s heart issue was first discovered during St Kilda’s Round 4 clash against Geelong in 2018, which forced him to miss the remainder of the season.
After extensive testing from cardiologists and a procedure to implant an internal monitor, Roberton was given the all clear to return to training.

The defender then completed a full pre-season, and after regular check-ups with cardiologists, was permitted to play with continued monitoring.
“It’s extremely frustrating because I physically feel fine, and if you exclude those two incidents, I’m as healthy as I’ve ever been,” Roberton said.
MATCH HIGHLIGHTS: JLT 2 Saints v Bulldogs

“Unfortunately, I need to listen to the professionals and take some more time out of the game.
“I still have a great desire to play at the highest level and want to make sure we look at every possibility.
“Given the club’s ability to add a player to the list, I wanted to make the call while they still had time to do so.”
653095.jpg

St Kilda senior coach Alan Richardson praised Roberton’s resilience.
“Robbo is an incredibly selfless player, and nothing speaks more to that than his want to continue to play on and contribute to our group. Unfortunately, that’s not going to happen this year,” Richardson said.

To lose a player of his calibre is no doubt a blow, but as he said to his teammates when he spoke to them today, he has enormous faith in our guys to step up and fill the void."
“The club, our medical staff, coaches and the players will support him through this period and with whatever comes in the future.
“Whether that’s working with the coaching staff again like he did last year, I’m sure Dylan will still play an important role for us in 2019 and be there to support his teammates.”
“We, like him, are hopeful a solution to his condition can be found and we can see him in Saints colours once again.”
The club asks for Dylan’s privacy to be respected at this time.

We will miss him badly this season.
One of my fav players.
But I hope he gives the game away. He has three young children who need their dad a lot more than stkilda supporters need him.
Absolutely my thoughts too Snake.

I'll miss him heaps but for the sake of his family....deep down......I too hope he calls it quits.

s**t news - kreuzer has had heart issues but seems to have overcome them - although I have no idea of any similarities between the two, wishing your bloke all the best - hope he comes back and kills it for you down back (not against the blues but) all the best for the season :thumbsu:

Its all really odd as well. To get through 6 months of high intensity training then basically have an issue on the 2nd real hit out you have seems weird.. then taking a year off again.

Makes me think his prognosis is more complicated but potentially more positive then we know.

Just want to say Sam Rowe is a ripper of a bloke and footballer and will be a terrific role model for your young lads.

Back on Dylan Roberton, sending him and his family all my healing thoughts and best wishes, really seems like a great guy and was well on his way to establishing himself as an elite defender of the comp, before his heart problems.

I think it's much better to be prudent when it comes to health, so this is the right call, really hope to see him on the field again in 2020.

Best of luck to The Sainters in 2019.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As bad as it is for us as a team, honestly it's the best decision he could make. Not worth the risk, he's gotta be there to grow old with his kids.

Get well soon Robbo you've been a star

Hope to see Dylan back on field next year, but if not, in a role with us, seems a quality guy.

Just retire, it's far too risky. Just become a coach, player coach? Still giving him that chance to return whilst being involved with the club. His involvement within the club is far too significant to miss out.
Maybe it's the best way to pay him out or best for the club
Not sure of all the rules.

And (if he doesn't get back at all) he'll be stranded on 91 games for the club.

You watch his kids will all turn out to be superstars now. So typically saints :oops:

Seriously, if our season turns to s**t we should sit him on the bench for the last 9 games!

tenor-47.gif

And (if he doesn't get back at all) he'll be stranded on 91 games for the club.

You watch his kids will all turn out to be superstars now. So typically saints :oops:

Seriously, if our season turns to s**t we should sit him on the bench for the last 9 games!

View attachment 635601
Correct :rainbow::rainbow::rainbow:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back