Robin Bishop appointed to the AFL Commission

Remove this Banner Ad

Another very smart business brain for the AFL Comm

My concern is for the game not the business that is the Australian Football League - am I correct to say only Jason Ball played the game in the national comp?

When the AFL admin makes a poor decision about the game the Commission will simply rubber stamp it, e.g the wishy washy decision making over the interchange numbers. Which clubs have the ear of the admin?

Interesting that he is Canadian born, wonder if native Canadian or parents were Australian working there.

Could open up some more doors.

Wasn't number 1 draft choice last year Canadian born ?.

My concern is for the game not the business that is the Australian Football League - am I correct to say only Jason Ball played the game in the national comp?

When the AFL admin makes a poor decision about the game the Commission will simply rubber stamp it, e.g the wishy washy decision making over the interchange numbers. Which clubs have the ear of the admin?

its almost like theres subcommittees for stuff that make recommendations to the executive and the commission

If timing is everything, check out this from afl.com.au:

Indigenous member for AFL Commission a priority
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-04-21/indigenous-member-for-afl-commission-a-priority

THE AFL Commission remains committed to having an indigenous member by the end of 2018, if not before, if the right candidate is found.

Has Adam Goodes gone missing or is the AFL unnerved by the strength of division in the booing issue, particularly the fans who were racist according to the AFL & its media pack? It wasn't well received then & few have forgotten.

The WAFC chose a quiet achiever back in 2011 in Larry Kickett & I'd suggest Andrew McLeod or David Wirrpanda should top the hit list, not Goodesy.

Last edited:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-04-21/indigenous-member-for-afl-commission-a-priority

THE AFL Commission remains committed to having an indigenous member by the end of 2018, if not before, if the right candidate is found.

Has Adam Goodes gone missing or is the AFL unnerved by the strength of division in the booing issue, particularly the fans who were racist according to the AFL & its media pack? It wasn't well received then & few have forgotten.

The WAFC chose a quiet achiever back in 2011 in Larry Kickett & I'd suggest Andrew McLeod or David Wirrpanda should top the hit list, not Goodesy.

Media reports say Goodes is still disillusioned with the things AFL.

The sub committees, are they at admin or Commission levels or inclusive of both?

Subcommittees are sometimes inclusive of both and and frequently include others outside the league executive and commission. For example
  • The nominating committee for Bishop included Richmond President Peggy O’Neal and Port Adelaide Chairman David Koch, and was chaired by AFL Commission Chairman Richard Goyder.
  • The Laws of the Game Committee is Mark Evans (chairman), Worsfold, Christian, Campbell, Kennedy, Joel Bowden, Brett Burton, Rodney Eade, Tom Harley, Leigh Matthews, Michael Sexton and Beau Waters.

If Kickett has done a good job at WAFC, I imagine they'd consider poaching him.

If Kickett has done a good job at WAFC, I imagine they'd consider poaching him.

It'd be another feather in Larrys cap, but I suggest an AFL Commissioner would need experience of the national game with indigenous players coming from all parts of our nation. Appropriate exposure outside footy is a must.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It'd be another feather in Larrys cap, but I suggest an AFL Commissioner would need experience of the national game with indigenous players coming from all parts of our nation. Appropriate exposure outside footy is a must.

I still think Michael Long is the man for the job.

Perhaps, but I doubt there is any such thing as a perfect candidate and having an indigenous background and experience on a similar body would make for a good resume.

Its time the commissioners started acting as the custodians of the game, which they are after the wounding down of the Australian National Football Council between 1991-93 and all custodial powers transferred to the AFL, and stopped being so concerned on just making more money and being and looking politically correct.

It's time every commissioner/custodian before every proposed rule change, was forced to go umpire an u/18 or amateur league game and try and implement any proposed rule change before they vote in favour of some change proposed by a sub committee who has to prove its existence by coming up with another reactionary rule change. Film the commissioner umpiring the game so we can see they made a genuine attempt.

I think the game needs to separate the AFL in to two. Have the Australian Football Custodians board and these people are footy people who have business and management experience and they are in charge of the rules and game development and have an AFL Commission and Commissioners and they can be predominately business people who oversee the running of the national competition and the money making stuff and doing the politically correct stuff.

Its time the commissioners started acting as the custodians of the game, which they are after the wounding down of the Australian National Football Council between 1991-93 and all custodial powers transferred to the AFL, and stopped being so concerned on just making more money and being and looking politically correct.

It's time every commissioner/custodian before every proposed rule change, was forced to go umpire an u/18 or amateur league game and try and implement any proposed rule change before they vote in favour of some change proposed by a sub committee who has to prove its existence by coming up with another reactionary rule change. Film the commissioner umpiring the game so we can see they made a genuine attempt.

I think the game needs to separate the AFL in to two. Have the Australian Football Custodians board and these people are footy people who have business and management experience and they are in charge of the rules and game development and have an AFL Commission and Commissioners and they can be predominately business people who oversee the running of the national competition and the money making stuff and doing the politically correct stuff.

:thumbsu: can you be a custodian of the game & the promoter of the game - that is a conflict of roles. Well articulated REH.
Mr Bishop fits well into the promoter side.

:thumbsu: can you be a custodian of the game & the promoter of the game - that is a conflict of roles. Well articulated REH.
Mr Bishop fits well into the promoter side.
If you look at the big soccer leagues in Europe, the Football Association (FA) controls the rules and the national team and game development stuff, mainly from revenue derived from the national teams involvement in World Cup and European tournaments and TV revenue and other revenue sources from those international games, and a separate company is set up to run the first tiered league in that country. The teams in that league have a say and FA has some veto power over rules and other FIFA requirements but the FA doesn't run the top tiered league. That is the standard basic model in each country.

The model in England is the FA runs the game, ie is the custodian and controls the rules, runs the national teams, game development, The FA Cup etc, but a private company made up of the 20 clubs in the Premier League that season are the 20 shareholders of the organisation that runs the Premier League. The FA isn't a shareholder, it doesn't run the competition, but it has veto power over when a chairman or CEO is elected by the 20 clubs, and over the adoption of any new rules, to make sure its consistent with FIFA regulations. The English FA also look after any inter league tournaments and charity shield type events. The different divisions eg Championship, League One and League Two are controlled by different companies - sort of like state leagues, before the AFL started taking them over. They have some control over women's football. FIFA is insisting that the FFA implement similar changes to separate itself from running/controlling the A-League.

In North America the 4 big professional leagues don't have custodial roles, as the college system in US and junior leagues and high school leagues in USA and Canada run those leagues and have big development roles, plus you have international bodies who have custodial roles for basketball, baseball and ice hockey. I'm not sure if anyone has a custodial role for gridiron.

I think most people who have a decent look at it would agree with a separate body.

I think most people who have a decent look at it would agree with a separate body.
Yes and no. If the AFL and the custodians of the game were split in their management, it would have been a lot more difficult in the northern states with academies and the expansion teams. The fact that the AFL could invest millions into a streamlined youth development program (custodian) and link them to the professional teams (competition) would have been separate under that proposal, and the AFL having control of both has certainly benefited the growth of the game in those regions. Similarily with the introduction of the AFL Women's - the creation of a professional competition run at a lost (competition) done so to benefit the community-level nature of female particpation and pathways (custodian). In that regard it's a lot more efficient if they're the same and one body, so that both areas of the game can achieve the same result. In reality, as well, the English FA can make enough money through the selling of rights of international fixtures etc. to operate as custodians of the game. If you removed the AFL competition, it'll be virtually impossible for the "custodian" body to make their own money, and if the solution is for them to be funded by the AFL competition, then aren't they beholden to the AFL and there's no real split anyway?

For certain areas - such as the history of the game (Victorian and post-WWII bias in the Hall of Fame), international development (AFL runs the International Cup, but could invest more to improve player numbers overseas), I suppose a split would be beneficial, but those areas really pale in significance relative to northern expansion/grassroots development and women's footy here in Australia.

Yes and no. If the AFL and the custodians of the game were split in their management, it would have been a lot more difficult in the northern states with academies and the expansion teams. The fact that the AFL could invest millions into a streamlined youth development program (custodian) and link them to the professional teams (competition) would have been separate under that proposal, and the AFL having control of both has certainly benefited the growth of the game in those regions. Similarily with the introduction of the AFL Women's - the creation of a professional competition run at a lost (competition) done so to benefit the community-level nature of female particpation and pathways (custodian). In that regard it's a lot more efficient if they're the same and one body, so that both areas of the game can achieve the same result. In reality, as well, the English FA can make enough money through the selling of rights of international fixtures etc. to operate as custodians of the game. If you removed the AFL competition, it'll be virtually impossible for the "custodian" body to make their own money, and if the solution is for them to be funded by the AFL competition, then aren't they beholden to the AFL and there's no real split anyway?

For certain areas - such as the history of the game (Victorian and post-WWII bias in the Hall of Fame), international development (AFL runs the International Cup, but could invest more to improve player numbers overseas), I suppose a split would be beneficial, but those areas really pale in significance relative to northern expansion/grassroots development and women's footy here in Australia.

Sure it would take work to split the roles - see how badly the AFL have looked after Tassie footy, :thumbsdown: .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_rules_football_in_Tasmania
IMHO Victoria has long used Tassie to pump up their tyres, take, take, take ... first players, now money.

Recent spending decisions on expansion of the comp & the funding of the national womens footy comp have implications for both sides of the game but you need to go back a bit further than the modern day:

If there were to be a debate, we'd need a more transparent AFL than we have today.

Funding could be on a % of the pie as the AFLPA want.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back