Robin to be a Yankee?? Where's the Justice in that??

Remove this Banner Ad

NYMets

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2001
a windy hill by the sea
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Mets & ManUtd Giggsyrulz
What is the deal with the Yankees swapping players with their cross-town enemies the Mets?? Torre is shrewd & calculating...what does he see in Robin Ventura that Valentine doesn't?
Is Justice trade bait or now he can hit all of sudden??? What gives? Wierd & wacky :confused: :eek: :confused:

Originally posted by oh_my_hat
Would anyone want Justice after the way he hit in the WS?

What's happening with Giambi going to the Yankees or is that just smoke?

Dunno...the A's are offering obscene money for him to stay.
BUt I love this:
December 9, 2001 -- According to industry sources, a rumor swelling through baseball that Jason Giambi failed a Yankee physical is false.

"There is no deal so there is no physical," a source close to the situation said last night.

The Yankees and Giambi are the two best-looking people in a Manhattan singles joint: They are flirting with others but they know whom they are going home with

On the Trade: From here it looks like a salary swap for the Mets.
They did not want Ventura on their team next year.
The Mets are taking the greater risk here hoping that Justice comes back to form.

The Yankees need Ventura to only do so much. Field well and supply about 60 RBI's. Which he is capable of.

On the Jason Giambi front. Looks like the agent is stalling to get the Yankees to up the price a bit. The A's can't afford him and the other teams see he is way overpriced.
Seeing that there were only 4 or 5 money making teams last year it's hard for them to sign a top level Free agent.

Is Giambi going to give the Yankees what they need? They have deep pockets so the price won't worry them. I can't "pitcher" the Yanks without El Duke and if he goes and based on the record number of runs hit on them during the WS, I would think they woul need a starter more urgently.

If they need a hitter...Why don't they go for Bonds who had they say the best season in the league? Is he that big of a ****er nobody wants to work with him no matter how hot a player he is? his stupid manager must be fuming. Neh neh na neh na! Do you think the Mets would risk taking him? I think there's bad blood between him & Valentine. Also I don't know how long my man Piazza :cool: will last behind the plate before they move him to 1st and you can't have two guns on first, what's his name on second and I told you on third (or however that old Abbott & Costello bit went) :D

First off the Mets would only want Bonds for 2 years.

Second he will not empty the bank on them. The mets are very frugil this year in FA signings. Or so says their GM.

Second Piazza will play behind the plate as long as he wants.
Said that in an interview near the end of the year.
I would think he has 1 or 2 more good years behind the plate then they could move him over to 1st base.

I didn't think that they could afford Bonds. The Mets made a second inquiry his horror-agent Scott Boras recently about another, the pitcher Chan Ho Park, the club said they had to make several moves to reduce payroll to fit any high-priced player?? Okkayy......so if Todd Ziele is moved to third and Alfonzo stays on second I guess the Mets need someone like Bonds on first. But what I read reminds of Bonilla who was so unpopular that the MEts paid out big just to get him out of the clubhouse. Could Valentine last 2 years with BOnds?

Looks like Giambi may be a Yank.

From CNN/SI

All but done

Giambi, Yanks put finishing touches on seven-year deal
Posted: Monday December 10, 2001 9:56 PM

Jason Giambi led the AL in doubles (47), walks (129) and slugging percentage (.660). AP

BOSTON (AP) -- The New York Yankees just about finalized their deal with Jason Giambi on Monday, a seven-year contract approaching $120 million.

The team and player began making arrangements for the first baseman to take a physical, a baseball official and a lawyer familiar with the talks said on the condition they not be identified.

When a player takes a physical, it's usually a sign that a deal is imminent. The contract will be worth $118 million to $120 million, the sources said, with the amount hinged to the payout schedule.

At $120 million, the contract would have an average annual value of $17.14 million. That would be the fifth-highest in baseball behind Texas shortstop Alex Rodriguez ($25.2 million), Boston outfielder Manny Ramirez ($20 million), Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter ($18.9 million) and Chicago Cubs outfielder Sammy Sosa ($18 million).

If there are no problems with the physical, the contract could be finalized later this week, the sources said.

Giambi's agent, Arn Tellem, did not return a telephone message. Yankees general manager Brian Cashman has not commented on the Giambi talks.

Oakland general manager Billy Beane, arriving at the winter meetings, said he hadn't heard recently from Giambi, the heart of his lineup. The Athletics haven't moved from their $91 million, seven-year offer, making the Yankees confident Giambi will sign with them.

'The way it has been reported, it seems like it has already happened,' Beane said.

While the A's are offering less money, Giambi has spent his entire professional career with the team, and his brother, Jeremy, plays for Oakland.

'I don't feel that we're out of it,' Beane said. 'But we have to be realistic.'

The 30-year-old Giambi hit .342 with 38 homers and 120 RBIs last season, finishing second in voting for the AL MVP award after winning in 2000.

New York also moved closer to re-signing pitcher Sterling Hitchcock, and the Yankees talked with the agent for free-agent outfielder Rondell White.

Notes: Mel Stottlemyre decided against retirement and will return for his seventh season as the Yankees' pitching coach. Stottlemyre missed the 2000 playoffs while undergoing treatment for cancer, then rejoined the team last February. ... Rick Down will become the hitting coach and Rich Monteleone the bullpen coach, the team said Monday in confirming decisions made immediately following the World Series. Down, the Yankees' hitting coach from 1993-95 and Boston's hitting coach last year, replaces Gary Denbo, who took over from Chris Chambliss after the 2000 season. Monteleone replaces Tony Cloninger, the bullpen coach since 1992 season. Monteleone had been a minor league pitching coach and coordinator in the Yankees' organization.

Hmm, the Mets are certainly making some waves ATM, they've picked up Roberto Alomar from the Indians, according to ESPN.
The Indians have to shed salary money, so there is talk of more big-name players going as well. Juan Gonzalez was mentioned, along with a couple of others I can't remember at the minute.

Pretty good middle infield with Alomar and Edguardo Alfonso, although the talk was Alfonso will move to 3rd base to fit Alomar in at 2nd. Happy with that deal, NY Mets?

The Mets made a good deal here. If he can get along with Valentine.

They picked up a great player for a mid range salary.
This will help them with the movement of the other trade.
They still may deal Justice elsewhere.
Or so goes the story up here near NYC.

G'Day guys!

Geez...looking good...supposedly both A's were pissed. Alfonzo cause he's never wanted third base ( but knowing how he feels, even I think he should cede it to the best second basemen in the League) .....and Alomar 'cause CLeveland doesn't want him. Te CLeveland fans will be shattered as he was their fave. Now supposedly both are happy.

Getting rid of Escobar after one bad season I don't know. We had high hopes for him All this free-agency stuff - players moving on after one year (or even half a year) gets on my nerves as teamanship and consistancy are hard to foster. I prefer AFL in this respect as teams get to work together longer as a unit.

Alomar wants to play with Gonzalez so is pushing for the MEts to pick up him but they seem to want an outfielder who can hit...adding to our defense and offense in one swoop.

Should we try to get Bonds for 1st? that would be quite a lineup...lots of Golden Gloves all round. I'd like a hot pitcher too to work with my faves, Leiter and Franco. What so you think?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back