Robinson's been scammed...

Remove this Banner Ad

Some scams are much easier to spot than others, but I've had a few bank ones come through as well. Most are easy to disregard as I don't bank with the company they claim to be, but even others you can get used to telltale signs.

I just wonder what the faces on these people pulling this off look like when someone replies with their details, they probably can't believe their luck

It was Eddie or Buckley :p srs though can’t tell me his dumb enough to have his life savings in his everyday account.Banks would never just ask. Come on robbo hope he finds them though. These people are losers

Dear mr Robo

Im a huge fan of your show and you are sexy eyes when I was in Australia. I run a tv station hear in Zamunda. If you please send dollars money I can get you sindicated across the hole country and I also can wait to see your smile on my tv.
I reckon if you put on an American accent and find him you're a "big sports cable TV producer looking for new talent, Mr robbo might just chip in a 'couple thousand' for screen tests..

On AFL360 at the moment, Riewoltds stepped in for Slobo, Slobo saying they emptied his entire bank account!!
Recons it Libyans and has flown somewhere he's not prepared to reveal the location of!

Some scams are much easier to spot than others, but I've had a few bank ones come through as well. Most are easy to disregard as I don't bank with the company they claim to be, but even others you can get used to telltale signs.

I just wonder what the faces on these people pulling this off look like when someone replies with their details, they probably can't believe their luck

Golden rule number 1: Never respond to an email from a bank, even if it is yours.
Golden rule number 2: Never disclose private information, especially bank account details.

I thought everyone knew this, obviously not.

I once opened an email telling me a friend of mine, a doctor from Pakistan, was stranded in a foreign country and needed me to send her some money so she could get home. I looked across the room where she was reading a book and said to her, "Guess what? Apparently you are stranded overseas and need my money so you can get home". We had a good laugh over that one :)

Last edited:
If Slobbo was silly enough to give enough info to loose a heap of money and due to being extra silly it is not covered by his or his banks insurance, what do you recon a RefundSlobbo go fund me page would raise? Also what currency Would the go fund me account be in? Beam white cans or Winnie blues?

I reckon it's all made up. He would not have to fly anywhere if he was scammed.
More likely is he knew he couldn't make 360 on wednesday because of some embarrassing reason he doesn't want anyone to know like a court hearing in country victoria or interstate for something.

While I do almost find this funny in a tragic sort of way, I've never really understood the general hatred for Robbo.

He's not the most gifted journalist and he writes for a tabloid but there are hundreds of thousands of fans who like reading about footy at that level. Not everyone wants to read prose masquerading as a match report. He obviously lives for his footy, he likes a beer and a dart - the former of which makes him like literally 99 per cent of people in here. He's passionate about the subject, which often gets in the way of presenting facts and a lack of bias, but basically at the end of the day he's just a footy fan who happens to be a journo.

He's not exactly my cup of tea as such but I don't have anything against him
I tend to agree. I don't mind Robbo, but his defence of Hird and Essendon during the doping scandal was ridiculous and he was pretty hard to take in that period.

While I do almost find this funny in a tragic sort of way, I've never really understood the general hatred for Robbo.

He's not the most gifted journalist and he writes for a tabloid but there are hundreds of thousands of fans who like reading about footy at that level. Not everyone wants to read prose masquerading as a match report. He obviously lives for his footy, he likes a beer and a dart - the former of which makes him like literally 99 per cent of people in here. He's passionate about the subject, which often gets in the way of presenting facts and a lack of bias, but basically at the end of the day he's just a footy fan who happens to be a journo.

He's not exactly my cup of tea as such but I don't have anything against him

I agree that he is a passionate fan, but to me that passion works against him and robs him of credibility in the positions he holds because it extends to obvious bias. And while all of us on this site are probably passionate fans, we are not on TV four nights a week, regularly on radio and chief football writer for a newspaper.

His strident defence of Essendon in general and Hird in particular became increasingly pathetic and is a permanent stain on his reputation for me.
What is perhaps even worse than his pro Essendon bias is that he clearly has individuals and clubs he has in the gun.
Again, this might be the fan in home coming out - as an Essendon supporter he has a clear hatred for Hawthorn and Collingwood for example - but in his position the extent to which his bias shows is highly unprofessional.

My biggest gripe with him is that to me he detracts from the quality of what should be the best footy show on TV, and I always find it more enjoyable when he is not on it.

My theory, looking at his body language, when he was spluttering out the "I've been scammed" (and had his phone either hacked or stolen), was that he made it all up. Why?

It is part of a viewer hoax to create a new segment? Possibly, as evidenced by the contrived video message from him last night.

Or, he is doing it to create a smoke-screen to hide something that has happened in his private life, of which he is clearly ashamed. If the latter, someone has something on him which is about to be published (probably from his phone or his cloud)......the horror!!

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

My theory, looking at his body language, when he was spluttering out the "I've been scammed" (and had his phone either hacked or stolen), was that he made it all up. Why?

It is part of a viewer hoax to create a new segment? Possibly, as evidenced by the contrived video message from him last night.

Or, he is doing it to create a smoke-screen to hide something that has happened in his private life, of which he is clearly ashamed. If the latter, someone has something on him which is about to be published (probably from his phone or his cloud)......the horror!!

A photo of Robbo drinking a light beer?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back to robbo- surprised that he is married, somehow.
Pretty naive for anyone under 65 to fall for such a scam. How much can one clean out of a bank account in a day? Is the limit 10,000?
"Anyone under 65". Really? I think you just insulted a third of the adult population in this country, let alone this forum? Your statement translates to "All over 65's are naive". By doing this you are saying that a third of our adults show a lack of education, experience, wisdom, or judgement. On the contrary, naivety is usually reserved to the rather young adults amongst us or a portion of the entire age demograohic depending on one's education and experience with online correspondence etc.

I find it galling to read some of the trash-talk in these forums, but, like all footy followers and, indeed, humans, we have a need to feed our desire for stories and gossip we can believe in (and pass on as "gospel").

So on behalf of "99 cents", I wish to apologise to all the over 65's who are NOT innocent, unsophisticated, artless, ingenuous, inexperienced, uneducated, guileless, unworldly, childlike, trusting, trustful, dewy-eyed, starry-eyed, wide-eyed, simple, natural, unaffected, unpretentious, gullible, credulous, easily taken in, easily deceived, unsuspecting, born yesterday, immature, green, ignorant or "wet behind the ears" etc. Sorry.

Sorry to all those others who felt insulted too.

Naivety does not apply here anyway because, by definition, it does show a complete "lack of experience, understanding or sophistication, often in a context where one neglects pragmatism in favor of moral idealism".

Perhaps he meant to say "all those who have never been exposed to email and other communication app scams".

Robbo (who loves nothing better to come across as a naive puppy for his adoring audience) is up to something very weird.... and his mate Gerard, is either in on it, or completely naive as to Robbo's cover-up.

Robbo was scammed, eh?

Now he knows how the viewers feel when they watch 360, the footy show “from all angles”, expecting to see something about their team.

You mean AFL 360 with Gerard Whateley that is produced by two Geelong supporters?

Monday night is a write-off, unless:

- your team is mentioned and shamed for a reported player

- or you enjoy watching vision of AFL players walking from their cars into their club in tracksuit pants.

- or you tune in to watch every question go to Chris Scott first and then a few scraps get thrown to Alan Richardson who never disagrees with Scott's first answer.

Haha, the Hawks fellas are in good form. :D:D:D:thumbsu: gold.

"Anyone under 65". Really? I think you just insulted a third of the adult population in this country, let alone this forum? Your statement translates to "All over 65's are naive". By doing this you are saying that a third of our adults show a lack of education, experience, wisdom, or judgement. On the contrary, naivety is usually reserved to the rather young adults amongst us or a portion of the entire age demograohic depending on one's education and experience with online correspondence etc.

I find it galling to read some of the trash-talk in these forums, but, like all footy followers and, indeed, humans, we have a need to feed our desire for stories and gossip we can believe in (and pass on as "gospel").

So on behalf of "99 cents", I wish to apologise to all the over 65's who are NOT innocent, unsophisticated, artless, ingenuous, inexperienced, uneducated, guileless, unworldly, childlike, trusting, trustful, dewy-eyed, starry-eyed, wide-eyed, simple, natural, unaffected, unpretentious, gullible, credulous, easily taken in, easily deceived, unsuspecting, born yesterday, immature, green, ignorant or "wet behind the ears" etc. Sorry.

Sorry to all those others who felt insulted too.

Naivety does not apply here anyway because, by definition, it does show a complete "lack of experience, understanding or sophistication, often in a context where one neglects pragmatism in favor of moral idealism".

Perhaps he meant to say "all those who have never been exposed to email and other communication app scams".

Robbo (who loves nothing better to come across as a naive puppy for his adoring audience) is up to something very weird.... and his mate Gerard, is either in on it, or completely naive as to Robbo's cover-up.

ACCC maintain 'scamwatch' statistics- they are not quite as I inferred, but perhaps that is down to the reporting mechanism (online only.)

https://www.scamwatch.gov.au/about-scamwatch/scam-statistics

Over 65 reported about 15,000 scams
18-24 Just over 4,000.

I can't help but feel your outrage is somewhat confected- my assumption was that digital natives are less susceptible to online rorts.
Young people are frequently maligned in the mainstream media as being feckless instagram obsessed narcissists.
Criticisms of hipsters, avocado smashers, iPhone toting twitters are all directed fairly at the young demographic. Does that also grind you gears?
The voting habits of over 65s causes me great consternation, but that's another story.

Apologies gladwrap- did not intend to piss you off.

ACCC maintain 'scamwatch' statistics- they are not quite as I inferred, but perhaps that is down to the reporting mechanism (online only.)

18-24 Just over 4,000.

I do enjoy it when facts and stats smash someone’s being offended, but there’s a big chunk of data missing here needed to support your initial under 65 contention; the 25-64yo bracket.

For example, regarding Identity Theft in 2018 as your source records it:

Total reports

Over 65
1,385 reports for $51,594 in losses

The Rest
55-64 - 861 reports for $106,498
45-54 - 743 reports for $169,225
35-44 - 806 reports for $117,330
25-34 - 890 reports for $260,879
18-24 - 310 reports for $39,563

So actually over 65’s comprise only about a quarter % of those reporting identity theft, like what happened with Robbo, and the 25-64 age bracket you left out incur significantly more financial loss across all age groups.

I do enjoy it when facts and stats smash someone’s being offended, but there’s a big chunk of data missing here needed to support your initial under 65 contention; the 25-64yo bracket.

For example, regarding Identity Theft in 2018 as your source records it:

Total reports

Over 65
1,385 reports for $51,594 in losses

The Rest
55-64 - 861 reports for $106,498
45-54 - 743 reports for $169,225
35-44 - 806 reports for $117,330
25-34 - 890 reports for $260,879
18-24 - 310 reports for $39,563

So actually over 65’s comprise only about a quarter % of those reporting identity theft, like what happened with Robbo, and the 25-64 age bracket you left out incur significantly more financial loss across all age groups.

It is true that the 'scam victims' do not skew anywhere near as old as I initially assumed. You can always point to the self reported aspect- it seems like it is an online only reporting mechanism. I actually slightly misrepresented the stats in my last post...

18-24 Just over 4,000.

I can't help but feel your outrage is somewhat confected- my assumption was that digital natives are less susceptible to online rorts.
Young people are frequently maligned in the mainstream media as being feckless instagram obsessed narcissists.
Criticisms of hipsters, avocado smashers, iPhone toting twitters are all directed fairly at the young demographic. Does that also grind you gears?
The voting habits of over 65s causes me great consternation, but that's another story.

Apologies gladwrap- did not intend to piss you off.
Fair enough. Ended up being satire. All good fun? Having had my phone stolen and spending heaps to get it back (minus all data) can be a huge bump in the road in one's life. Poor Robbo!

Have had a lot of experience advising clients of the dangers of email scams. We used to lead them on and get individuals to meetings, only for them to be filmed and arrested outside their country. Latest ones are the pr0n "blackmailers" claiming to have your online recordings!!! They can all be traced once you make contact.

Robbo? ... who in their right mind would use a banking app anyway .. stick to the desktop and laptop and delete all histories daily. Who in their right mind would leave banking passwords lying around. Like blank signed cheques left on the bar while you go "drain the spuds"!

Holes on all levels in Robbo's story so far. A victim of scammers or his own negligence? Back to the footy.

I got one the other day that was extremely convincing. If I was a Bank of America customer I might have come close to falling for it.

I reckon it's all made up. He would not have to fly anywhere if he was scammed.
More likely is he knew he couldn't make 360 on wednesday because of some embarrassing reason he doesn't want anyone to know like a court hearing in country victoria or interstate for something.
I thought watching it that he was in the drunk tank

Remove this Banner Ad

Back