Multiplat Rocket League

Remove this Banner Ad

What cars are we driving ?

I'm still rocking the Knight Rider car and still get comments on how awesome it is.

I previously drove the Ghostbusters car, it helped me defend a lot better.

I've since purchased the BTTF and Batman cars... but went back to Knight Rider.

I just chop and change coz I get bored. Currently being boring with octane, but try and switch it up every week or so

Jesus, nice work.

Just cracked Plat 2 and know with complete certainty that it is my absolute ceiling lol
You'd be surprised.

Mechanically, I'm not that great. I'm not good at aerials, I can't air dribble reliable, I suck at getting decent hits off walls. I see tons of players at my rank who can do all sorts of fancy moves and yet we're both Diamond 2, I was D3 div 3 for a while on Standard and a few good games away from Champ 1.

I've tried to practice to learn those skills but it just doesn't click for me. I get by on game sense and 'playing the percentages'. Not saying I don't ever screw up and make the wrong play but positioning and sticking to the basics goes a long way. If I was giving some tips:

- Avoid double committing, especially in the corners. So you're in the goal and your TM is in the defensive corner and they look like they'll lose the ball. No problem, the opposition have to come back towards you if they want to score anyway so don't follow into the corner. Half the time you do it will pop over your head for an easy walk-in goal. Similarly in the offensive goal, ok, your TM is struggling in the corner so you go in to help and you hit the perfect cross... to nobody. He was already in the corner and now you are too. While he's dicking around in the corner, be aware that he might pull it out and get a cross, but also bea ready to run back and defend if they get over him.

- Chill and wait for a decent hit where you can. A lot of the time the opposition will get a clear and my TM will fly at it down our end with no oppositon in sight. Most of the time, they either miss, or get a weak tap on it and the opposition are there to pounce. Take a breath, see that you have time and let the ball come to you. If you're really in the clear you then can choose whether you want to capture it and dribble, or hit it on the half-volley and boom the clearance/shot.

- Don't neglect the bump. Shepherding is super importent on a footy field and it's the same in Rocket League. It doesn't need to be an in-goal demolition, the annoying little taps that sap your momentum can make the difference between getting back for the save or not.

- Rotate behind. If you're in defence and your TM is already in goal, rotate in behind them, then if you're the TM move out to challenge then rotate back behind again. This takes work as you need to be able to trust your TM to do their part too.

- Positioning. If the pitch is set up in front of you with a goal to the left and one to the right, draw an imaginary line horisontally across the middle and then 2 vertical lines to divide the pitch into 6. In general, you don't want to be in the same section as your TM, you want to be in an adjacent section either backing them up, or setting up for the pass. You also don't want an empty section between you. If your TM is all the way forward you shouldn't be all the way back.

Again, not trying to say I'm anything decent, but if someone with mechanics as bad as mine can be D2, anyone can.

Jesus, nice work.

Just cracked Plat 2 and know with complete certainty that it is my absolute ceiling lol

Thought the same when I first got to Plat. You'll learn to compete against the better guys. Once you start to come up against the guys with all the fancy tricks you also learn ways to read what they're trying to do and counter them. Main thing I've found is don't give them the time to get set up for dribbles etc, as a lot of the guys are well practiced at them, you've got to keep the pressure on them. And the ones that are trying for flip resets off the roof etc are usually pretty easy to read (and get a breakaway from).

I have even less tricks than Nix, but we usually hold our own against Diamond players with fancy moves because we both play similar and 90% of the time we know who's going for the ball even tho we're not on mics so avoid the double commit.

Happy to have a game if you want further advice. picko_99 on PS4

I've tried to practice to learn those skills but it just doesn't click for me. I get by on game sense and 'playing the percentages'. Not saying I don't ever screw up and make the wrong play but positioning and sticking to the basics goes a long way.

Yep this is me to a T. Only really just started to hit decent aerials and off the wall shots with regularity, but air dribbles and stuff? No chance lol. But I get away with a few wins based on nothing more than good positioning, rotating and patience. Your tips are spot on, takes some restraint not to double up in both attack and defence but its the much higher percentage play.

The thing I probably most still struggle with in the 'basics' category is knowing when to go and when to stay back, just judging the ball in relation to the opposition and knowing who will get there first.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought the same when I first got to Plat. You'll learn to compete against the better guys. Once you start to come up against the guys with all the fancy tricks you also learn ways to read what they're trying to do and counter them. Main thing I've found is don't give them the time to get set up for dribbles etc, as a lot of the guys are well practiced at them, you've got to keep the pressure on them. And the ones that are trying for flip resets off the roof etc are usually pretty easy to read (and get a breakaway from).

I have even less tricks than Nix, but we usually hold our own against Diamond players with fancy moves because we both play similar and 90% of the time we know who's going for the ball even tho we're not on mics so avoid the double commit.

Happy to have a game if you want further advice. picko_99 on PS4

Yup I'm starting to come up against more and more teams that just flick it up off the wall at about half court then air dribble in for the dunk, crazy skills (to me anyway lol).

Yeah might hit you up cheers, I think the biggest factor is having a competent teammate who will at least rotate properly. I'm amazed even at Platinum the amount of guys who just constantly ball chase, or try for the miracle goal/angle off their own cross.

Yup I'm starting to come up against more and more teams that just flick it up off the wall at about half court then air dribble in for the dunk, crazy skills (to me anyway lol).

Yeah might hit you up cheers, I think the biggest factor is having a competent teammate who will at least rotate properly. I'm amazed even at Platinum the amount of guys who just constantly ball chase, or try for the miracle goal/angle off their own cross.

You're on the right path with your thoughts, finding a team mate who rotates in sync with you makes a massive difference

Also happy for a game if anyone is keen. Mostly play standard and am Diamond 1, but also play 2v2 and think Plat 3 there but haven't played for a while.

I'm on steam, if anyone wants someone to play let me know.
I'm around pretty often, feel free to add Niximus on Steam. I mostly play 2s but sit D1/D2 in both currently. I keep ranking up and down around there.

Joined a 3 v 3 match that was already in progress. Joined the side that was 1 - 2 down, within seconds of joining (guess I spawned at the right moment and in the right spot), I nudge the ball from the defending end, it sailed past the two last defenders (who basically did a last ditch cross jump on opposite sides of the goal). Needless to say I felt pretty good at making an impact so quickly.

I scored another goal that was intended as a defensive clearance (boost moving the ball from the defensive end via a corner deflection) but it stayed airborne and curved enough to score a goal via being untouched :D. I love that kind of ball movement (yes it's not like the clever people that conserve their boost and stay airborne for a while to score but still). Another favourite scoring method of mine is to wall hug the ball from the half way point, then nudge it from just before your offensive corner end.... then deviate from the wall and speed to the goal where your car and ball should meet (if you time the jump properly AND the opponents mistime theirs :p).

Another goal got scored, and they replied soon after. Then it was missed shots and clever saves from both sides until the end of regular time. Overtime was pretty much the same and the overtime period went longer than the main match (6 minutes!!!). It was tense throughout, I did end up scoring the winner by fluke, in a similar manner to my first goal of the match. Well except I was a little closer (about halfway) the defenders mistimed their moves and the ball went through untouched.

I had a few seconds to type YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS on the Xbox controller. But I had to reflect how I felt at the time - which was this
SparseWhimsicalHypsilophodon-max-1mb.gif

I had a 2 v 2 competitive match that went to overtime 2 - 2. This one had a different ending, we went with an attacking high risk high reward (or failure strategy). I stayed back to defend for the first 30 seconds, as the ball was in our half I figured I'd zoom down to help out (big mistake). We had a chance to win if we nailed the 1-2 shot........... missed it, leaving an open goal and they nailed it from a long distance. It was a fun game to be apart of despite the loss.

Had a stinker of a session tonight. Playing with my mate who is a Plat 1 but realistically more of a Gold if not carried higher by me and a mate who are Diamond. Deranked from Diamond 2 to Diamond 1 div 2 - lost our last game 9-1!

Part of the issue was my XBox One PC controller started ******* up so switched to my PS4 - amazing how different it is. I'm not anti PS4 controllers at all but there's something there, maybe just what I'm used to, but everything was just 10% off which meant I couldn't shoot or hit the right angles or aerials. Played terribly.

Ordered a wireless receiver for XBox One controller - wired connection was the issue. Weird though coz PS4 used the same cable and was fine, also annoying as it was a pretty new controller.

Anyway, very frustrating session to be a part of. Classic RL really.

Trying to give a bit of playtime across all systems. Currently Gold in 2 v 2 competitive on Switch, Silver in 2 v 2 on ps4 + xbox one (and silver on 1 v 1 on Xbox One).

One funny moment I had in a game earlier, I contested the ball at just before the halfway point.........the opponent got the better of the exchange (sending my car flying backward as well as the ball...... the ball deflected off my car as I went backward.... and it sailed into the goal).

I've had a few games where despite having a lot of shortcomings (ie: I suck at aerial play), I'm the more skilled when I've matched up with a person. I love still getting the better of my opponents despite it effectively feeling like 1 v 3 :D. I had a game where the score was 1 - 3...... I scored 3 goals by the end of the game to make it 4 - 3. Had another game that I was able to score the leveler and then the winning overtime goal.

I just had a loss where the scoreline was 5 - 4. I scored all 4 of the team goals, getting first blood.... then getting scored against 4 times. I managed to score 4 goals with 2 minutes remaining... feeling a bit like Buddy Franklin singlehandedly keeping the team in the match. Enthusiasm was short lived when they scored the winning goal in the first 15 seconds of overtime.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back