Multiplat Rocket League

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree. Like to think my fundamentals, positioning and rotations are all on point but I've kinda hit the point where I feel like I need to learn to air juggle etc to really keep progressing through the tiers. Ain't nobody got time for that lol.

Actually thought about changing the default layout a while back to assist with arials and car positioning while in the air, but the muscle memory is baked in at this point for mine, would just be too painful to re-learn.

Have just hit plat 3 for the first time in both doubles and 3v3, but I have a feeling thats more to do with early days in the new season rather than any real improvement.

I actually find it harder earlier in the season, more people, more bad teammates to kill my rank haha. I only play 2s.

But yeah, I know where I get beat. I like to think I'm pretty decent at rotating, defending far post and inside net, I don't make as many bad commits as I used to, and while I could probably scrub up my power shots and general aim I usually get on the scoreboard most games. However I'm getting beaten by general skills, other players who are more advanced mechanically. Once I come against a team with somebody who can for example aerial off the wall well and consistently I'm pretty much stuffed unless my teammate can handle it. My own aerial skills are only average so if I challenge their aerial with my own and I fail well it's more than often an open goal. However I am already seeing the benefit of rebinding boost and being able to X/rotate at the same time. I just need to practice more for it to feel more natural. Then I've conceded a few times where the opponent I was challenging was quicker at recovering than me and beat me to a loose ball (and of course my teammate was out of position but s**t happens). That's why I think I've hit my own brick wall that I don't think I can get past without practicing skills and stuff.

Oh and with the addition of Supersonic Legend rank we've all been artificially promoted slightly :) After my 10 placement matches for this season I got Champ 1 div 1 which I quickly took a screenshot of hehe. I've since fallen back to Diamond 3.

You're mostly right about playing smart only gets you so far. I'm stuck in Diamond 3 and 90% of players have a skill level of car mechanics better than mine. I make basic aerial mistakes which you just can't do.

However there are still some fundamental smart things that I've recently learnt that helped me progress as far as rotations go. Shadow defence, when to challenge, back post rotations, distance management between team-mates on offence all make a big difference.

Beyond that though I need to get better at dribbling both air and ground. Need to learn speed flips, the back-half flip thing for 180 quick turn, crap like that. Takes a lot of time too.

I’m in the same spot as you. Was regularly 1 win away from Champ last season which felt about right given the basic errors I still make. My game is all positioning, but that only takes you so far.

Dunno about you, but whatever the MMR change they did has put me well into C1 and nearly C2 now?

I’m in the same spot as you. Was regularly 1 win away from Champ last season which felt about right given the basic errors I still make. My game is all positioning, but that only takes you so far.

Dunno about you, but whatever the MMR change they did has put me well into C1 and nearly C2 now?
Yep that's about right. I was struggling to get advance past Diamond 2 last season and would slip back to D1 on occasion. Now I'm well entrenched to D3. Looking at reddit the MMR windows have bumped up most people 2-3 divs.

As a Plat scrub my impressions of Diamond are fringe and/or salty champs that have been on a losing run and get a kick out of thrashing plat 3s 😝
Last year I made the jump from Plat to Diamond and I can tell you the saltiness and levels of immaturity are just as bad if not worse than Plat. Typically one small error will result in "Wow!", "Okay" or "What a save!". At least 1 in 10 games devolves into a mess where 2 team-mates are fighting and give up entirely but won't forfeit, so you end up deliberately not scoring so the 5 minutes passes quicker. Been on the receiving end of that several times with my own team mate, and also witnessed the opposition do it a lot too.

Diamond has got to be the most toxic for sure. Lots of young kids who have amazing car mechanics and control but are hopeless at rotations, timing challenges or go for boosts instead of the ball and concede a goal or leave me in a 1 on 2.

Last year I made the jump from Plat to Diamond and I can tell you the saltiness and levels of immaturity are just as bad if not worse than Plat. Typically one small error will result in "Wow!", "Okay" or "What a save!". At least 1 in 10 games devolves into a mess where 2 team-mates are fighting and give up entirely but won't forfeit, so you end up deliberately not scoring so the 5 minutes passes quicker. Been on the receiving end of that several times with my own team mate, and also witnessed the opposition do it a lot too.

Diamond has got to be the most toxic for sure. Lots of young kids who have amazing car mechanics and control but are hopeless at rotations, timing challenges or go for boosts instead of the ball and concede a goal or leave me in a 1 on 2.

I've found plat nicer than gold. I remember way back in gold everyone thought they were champs in the wrong division and were really passive aggressive. It still happens but I've found the majority in plat to accept their limitations and I've never seen more "GG" and "nice shot!" from oppos than I have in my time in plat.

Had my first of this in a while the other day though. We were up 2-0, I lost a 50/50 challenge in the midfield and even though my teammate had rotated back to defend I copped a Wow! I let it slide and we were 2-1. Next attack he gave me a beautiful cross, I got a nice aerial power shot on target but the other team pulled off quite a nice save (I don't think it was at all intentional though lol) and I got Wow! Nice shot! Trying to defuse I used "Sorry!" It didn't work because I got Wow! On every play I made whether it was good or not. So when he whiffed a makeable save I couldn't help a "what a save!" Oh boy, was he triggered. Mind you it was still 2-2 but he threw his toys out and just started doing flips in the goals and being an idiot. I just decided to ignore him and play on and nearly scored a few times before he got over his tantrum and we managed 3-2. We conceded for 3-3 and he started again. He initiated a forfeit but I refused out of spite and just had to play it out while he refused to move and we go down 3-4.

I seriously don't get these people. I get it, everyone wants to win and doesn't want to down rank, but we also play better when keeping our cool and remaining optimistic. When I start to lose my s**t and rage is when my rank sinks like a stone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just climbed into Champ 1 div 1. Pulled off this shot which by my low standards was pretty good!

Gutsy commit when your teammate was coming 😛

Nice to see the double commits from the opposition there even in champs! When I watch higher ranked players on YouTube give their tips it's easy to get the impression that higher divisions than yourself are magically doing everything better. Gives me some faith I can at least get to diamond.

...At least 1 in 10 games devolves into a mess where 2 team-mates are fighting and give up entirely but won't forfeit, so you end up deliberately not scoring so the 5 minutes passes quicker. Been on the receiving end of that several times with my own team mate, and also witnessed the opposition do it a lot too.

Farkin this! :mad:

Its the most bizarre behaviour, this refusing to forfeit while also refusing to play thing, and even going so far as to score continual own goals. Like you say, just drags out a pointless game - on several occasions I've taken to playing goalie defending my own net just so we can get through the 5 minutes.

**** sake, I only have limited time to game and ya gotta put up with this s**t lol

Last edited:
I seriously don't get these people. I get it, everyone wants to win and doesn't want to down rank, but we also play better when keeping our cool and remaining optimistic. When I start to lose my sh*t and rage is when my rank sinks like a stone.

Yep.

Remember a great comment on toxic teammates from a youtube vid, might have been SunlessKhan can't remember - you're concerned about losing and your rank, yet you're going to pile on and antagonise the one other person in the game who is trying to help you win? Not great logic there.

Gutsy commit when your teammate was coming 😛

Nice to see the double commits from the opposition there even in champs! When I watch higher ranked players on YouTube give their tips it's easy to get the impression that higher divisions than yourself are magically doing everything better. Gives me some faith I can at least get to diamond.
To be honest I was watching my teammate contest for ages near goal and recognised he would be running low on boost and soon would eventually rotate back to get a 100% boost pad our goal side. So once the opponent was in control and dribbling out of defence and saw my teammate rushing back I decided to challenge while he got boost. The worst double commits is when both teammates are lunging forward in attack. On this occasion we were going opposite directions.

Does anyone watch Lethamyrs series on YouTube Road to SSL? He commentates full length games and progresses from Bronze to SSL without carrying too much, and he gives great advice on what to do in various situations at each rank. Has helped me a bit

Last edited:
At the start of season 3 I shot up to Platinum pretty quick on Xbox and deapite some silly losses, I'm still maintaining that (talking doubles).

I merged my ps4 pc and Switch stats together, when EPIC took over. Thus far (spending more time on pc) I can't break the GOLD ceiling.

I spent so long in gold and it was getting frustrating. I think I only got out due to a lucky break, I don't think I got better or anything as I feel like I'm playing the same (which is probably why I can't crack diamond lol). The amount of times I'd sit in gold 3 div 4, get a win to tip me over into plat 1 div 1, only to go on another string of losses and be out of reach again. I got lucky and went on a streak where I won a lot more than I lost and shot up to plat 2 and have pretty much stayed there since. Sometimes I drop to plat 1 in which case I'll stop playing for a day or two, and sometimes I break into play 3 only to get my pants pulled down by diamond 1s doing tricks off the ceiling. I did bomb a couple divs when they first merged the platforms as I didn't realise that when on PS4 I was on my actual PC account LOL. Normally I'd use my PS4 for being silly and didn't take it too seriously. Now I refuse to play it on PS. On PC I use an Xbox Pro controller with a profile that has deadzones in the sticks and stuff and I have no idea what the settings are. So I can't replicate them on PS5 and I feel all kinds of unco.

So I think I've found my level and it definitely wasn't gold. Most people say your level is pretty fair I say yeah but also nah. Especially in 2s when your rank is just as much in the hands of a derp than your own.

Yeah when the game don't go your way in the luck stakes it's pretty much game over,I just laugh at the ones that want to FF with 10 secs to go

I turned off all chat except quick chat. If anyone is ever typing abuse to me I am completely oblivious lol

I don't mind some verbal or text abuse it can be fun to bait them or get a demo in while they're melting. I just can't stand the people that give up and play against their own team, utter cumstains they are. Sometimes I just log off for the night after someone does that

Anyway I barely played for about 2 years and got back into it this week played a lot of games and have gone back to the same old rankings in 3v3 and 2v2, diamond 2 in both. Was stuck there before I stopped.playing lol

I don't mind some verbal or text abuse it can be fun to bait them or get a demo in while they're melting. I just can't stand the people that give up and play against their own team, utter cumstains they are. Sometimes I just log off for the night after someone does that

Anyway I barely played for about 2 years and got back into it this week played a lot of games and have gone back to the same old rankings in 3v3 and 2v2, diamond 2 in both. Was stuck there before I stopped.playing lol

It was petty, but sometimes I baited toxic players into swearing at me just so I could report them and to get that login message of Psyonix thanking me and taking action lol.

I've posted previously about having sarcastic banter in RL which can be taken a bit too far by others. I try to keep the what a saves and nice shots as genuine remarks.... But sometimes when used as sarcasm (eg: I'll what a save myself sometimes when I got for the easiest of saves... but fluff it up massively and do the same with easy shots (Travis Cloke style misses).

Anyway in a bit of trolling banter in a game I had last night, I thought I'd use some GTA V Online banter I had last week in Rocket League. In GTA V Online I had a confrontation with one player who then had 3 of his online mates continue to tail gate me (even when I went in passive mode to stop dying by them lol). I would go on to see at least 1 of the 4 players again every night across 4 nights after that initial meeting. I typed em etib (aka bite me backwards) which led to one player saying speak english. And I replied "read it backwards moron", then I get trolled with "who writes backwards" which then led to them chasing me Mad Max Fury Road style

Anyway the confrontation in Rocket League happened after we had scored two goals (I think what originally got his goat was that I "stole" the first goal we scored as a team..... we both flew for it, he completely missed it, while the rear end of my car connected and hit it in the goal). He started getting aggro when we went 1 - 1. I got us to 2 -1, before getting scored against. He loses the plot, I say "bite me LOL" as a joke. He takes offence so the game becomes 3 v 1 against me.

I then decided to just do nothing and let them score until I lost connection.
Then I was messaged on Xbox with "no skill trash"

My reply "I'm Diamond anddddddddddd I scored both of our goals while you were cracking the sads thanks mate :D"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back