Discussion Rocket Rod Owen's sad story

Remove this Banner Ad

Very tough read. I went to Beaumaris Primary in the 60's. Think the bloke mentioned here wasn't there then. But I did hear recently that the sports bloke who was there in our time had a bit of a reputation. I remember him as a nice guy who took us on Car Rallies on the weekend. Makes me think now. Nothing ever happened to me, but I wonder about others. Terrible.

This read consumed my afternoon. Plenty to take in.

I've been fortunate enough to have the 'normal' upbringing Rod was lucky enough to have in his earlier days.

Really makes me take stock and be thankful that I didn't have that happen to me as a kid.

I don't blame him.

I don't blame your club.

He, and others in a similar boat, I give my thoughts and prayers :thumbsu:

Not sure if it's been mentioned but there is a GoFundMe page set up for Rod.
I believe it's the same person who set up the successful campaign for Robbie Muir.

Just an update on the Rod Owen GoFundMe fundraiser. I think it would be great if we could look after one of ours the way we did with Robbie Muir.

TODAYby Mal Padgett, Organizer

I want to close this fundraiser off but I’m hoping to get more money for Rod. If everyone who has donated already can recruit one other supporter we can push past $2000. I’ll close this off this coming Sunday. Thank you to everyone who has contributed so far.

Took longer than it should have.. but good.

Also unsurprisingly other clubs affected. Needs to be a proper inquiry.
It goes to the heart of the issues that they found in the royal commission into child abuse.

No cheques and balances, no accountability for the men running the program, no one to call them out and lo and behold they abuse their power.

It's truly shocking. It could well come out that this was widespread across the little league competition.

I just feel for all the players affected who would have been so proud to play for the team they supported, and then this.

Back in the 1970s, I was actually picked to play in the Saints Little League team but certain circumstances at the time stopped it from happening. I was upset at the time that I was unable to play, but am thankful for those certain circumstances now.

I'm glad he takes some responsibility for his actions, namely his drug and alcohol abuse and general behaviour. Losing a parent at a young age is extremely tough, I can speak to that, but that doesn't give you a free pass to act a certain way.

Our club definitely didn't help the situation but I think his childhood and the loss of his father, a huge piece of a young man's growth, were what led to the life Rod has had.

I also believe our club's behaviour was behaviour that was normal at the time. That's not to excuse it, but you would imagine that every club had their issues around dealing with mental health and general player welfare. Look at how Nicky was treated by opposition supporters for instance. It was the norm back then.

And how is Matt Finnis. That bloke is shouldering responsibility for things that he wasn't involved in. Gee we have some terrific people at St.Kilda.

Really glad to see he has been sober for quite a while now.

unbelievable.

unbelievable.
Yeah, imagine a society that fails to properly address mental health in a time when it was poorly understood.

Imagine a man who has been through a horrific time having the strength to own up to some of the mistakes he made in a discussion about reasons as to why his life could've gone a different way, whilst also acknowledging the disgraceful people who impacted his childhood.

Unbelieveable you reckon. As if you think I'm excusing any of what happened to him outside his own control.

Perhaps actually comprehend what I say before you post next time.

Yeah, imagine a society that fails to properly address mental health in a time when it was poorly understood.

Imagine a man who has been through a horrific time having the strength to own up to some of the mistakes he made in a discussion about reasons as to why his life could've gone a different way, whilst also acknowledging the disgraceful people who impacted his childhood.

Unbelieveable you reckon. As if you think I'm excusing any of what happened to him outside his own control.

Perhaps actually comprehend what I say before you post next time.

For you to read that.... and the FIRST thing you type is glad he's taking responsibility for his actions.... speaks volumes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For you to read that.... and the FIRST thing you type is glad he's taking responsibility for his actions.... speaks volumes.
Only speaks volumes if you think I excuse that kind of behaviour which actually speaks volumes about the type of person you are, that you'd automatically assume that and ignore the rest of what I had to say. Picking apart a lengthy post that touched on many different points and you gravitate to that.

Maybe look at the post in it's entirety, that would be most logical one would think. The fact I have to actually break it down for you because you can't or won't read beyond the first couple of sentences isn't my problem.

The fact that Rod could do that despite these atrocities actually takes great strength and I was actually commending him for it despite the stupid narrative you are eager to spin, and if you approached this discussion with a baseline understanding that nobody that has any sense would be a paedophile apologist and then you worked on from that, then people wouldn't have to put up with the fake outrage.

Just an update on the Rod Owen GoFundMe fundraiser. I think it would be great if we could look after one of ours the way we did with Robbie Muir.

TODAYby Mal Padgett, Organizer

I want to close this fundraiser off but I’m hoping to get more money for Rod. If everyone who has donated already can recruit one other supporter we can push past $2000. I’ll close this off this coming Sunday. Thank you to everyone who has contributed so far.
I'm so glad I donated and it got in in time.

I left it a bit late.

Hopefully the AFL can support the club in making sure a deep investigation is done to understand what happen so that they can identify all the parties impacted and provide them with the support they need.

As well as making sure this never happens again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back