Rocket's Bag of Tricks for finals

Remove this Banner Ad

AndyD

Club Legend
Dec 23, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Does anybody think Eade is playing funny buggers with injury going into the game against the Hawks. With the latest news about Tommy, could there be a chance he is playing some cloak and dagger types games trying to get the Hawks to plan for a team that has Wight/Tiller/Everitt, then bringing Tommy in at the last second.

Tom's quad was reported on here a couple of weeks ago

How bad he tore it or how long he is out ????

But it seems to have come from a few different sources.

At the end of the day it is us (the Dogs) who are reacting anyway, because with or without Tom Williams Hawthorn will definitely play Buddy Franklin.

Its up to us to find a way to stop Buddy, its not up to Hawthorn to find a way to stop the guy we send out to play on Buddy.

Does anybody think Eade is playing funny buggers with injury going into the game against the Hawks. With the latest news about Tommy, could there be a chance he is playing some cloak and dagger types games trying to get the Hawks to plan for a team that has Wight/Tiller/Everitt, then bringing Tommy in at the last second.

Lets hope so.

That is sort of the point I am getting at here. There is nothing concrete from Eade or Fanta about the injury. Of course my theory could blow up in my face if they come out tomorrow and say he is gone for the year.

I am going to believe you because I want to believe you. :D

That is sort of the point I am getting at here. There is nothing concrete from Eade or Fanta about the injury. Of course my theory could blow up in my face if they come out tomorrow and say he is gone for the year.

I would like to believe it to Andy but my big issue is still as I put in the other post.

At the end of the day it is us (the Dogs) who are reacting anyway, because with or without Tom Williams Hawthorn will definitely play Buddy Franklin.

Its up to us to find a way to stop Buddy, its not up to Hawthorn to find a way to stop the guy we send out to play on Buddy.

I'll just say that Rocket and the team have known for some time that we would be facing the Hawks in our first final thus giving plenty of time to plan and prepare. I think Rocket would be rapt that we have been written off and I'm quietly confident that the style of play currently being exhibited is not representative of the style of footy that we will play in September. Rocket is a cunning, measured guy and I fail to believe that he hasn't got something up is sleeve. If you had a deadly right hook you'd prefer that your next opponent in the ring wasn't aware of it would you not?

It is not so much the Buddy match up, it is more the domino effect. No Williams means one of Morris or Shaggy on Buddy, which means that they can throw another tall forward in the forward line to stretch us height wise.

However, you are probably right in that it is wishful thinking.

Maybe somebody can change this scenario when they run onto the dome this weekend? ;)

I think we are overcooking things anyway

With Tom against Buddy in Launceston, Buddy got 5 goals and we got a fair bit of drive via Tom.

Even if Dale gives up 7-8 goals, much like Geelong gave up to Hale versus North Melbourne last weekend (maybe Bomber Thompsons way of preparing for Buddy by allowing a defensive bleed)

If we stay on the attack across the half back line by playing Everitt as an attacking HB, that may be the best answer.

Lets remember that Hawthorn's weakest part is their defence. Welsh and Murphy carved them up last time, and now Johnno and hopefully Aker is in form

Tend to agree, it's really up to us to play our back six against at least Buddy, Roughead and Williams as they will be a constant.

I think if Rocket has any tricks up his sleave it will revolve around how our forwards line up. I think he may have Welsh as our main lead up target to start off with. This year he has played many roles and has found himself up the ground more often than he has in the past, but he is more than capable of playing the lead up roll and probably plays his best football when doing so. Minson will stay at home and Johnson may find himself closer to goal too, rotating with Hahn trying to find a weak match up.

Football has become a game where coaching tricks are becoming less valuable as teams have so many staff working the match ups and assessing what the opposition is doing. Rocket just needs to focus on ensuring our guys come to the game ready to play hard footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trick 1 - play our natural game of score more than the opposition, regardless of what they score ( from the 1991 Wheeler playbook to counter Dunstall - give him 13 but score more )

Trick 2 - play like our lives depend on it, to prove to all the doubters that backs against the wall, we will do anything to get a win, unlike our last 6 weeks ( from the Collingwood playbook - it has got the Pies into about 6 Grand Finals when they clearly were not as good as the finals opposition)

MIdfield Intensity and our Forward Line beat the Hawks in Launceston, not Tom Williams.

I'll just say that Rocket and the team have known for some time that we would be facing the Hawks in our first final thus giving plenty of time to plan and prepare. I think Rocket would be rapt that we have been written off and I'm quietly confident that the style of play currently being exhibited is not representative of the style of footy that we will play in September. Rocket is a cunning, measured guy and I fail to believe that he hasn't got something up is sleeve. If you had a deadly right hook you'd prefer that your next opponent in the ring wasn't aware of it would you not?

I have a feeling he has something up his sleeve too.

I saw Tom Williams and Henry White walk out of a sushi bar in the city this afternoon. Tom had a cap on but it was def him. Seemed to be walking ok to me although you often can with a thigh, you just can't explode of the mark.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back