Rod Butters is a smug bastard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Barry Zuckercorn QC said:
I challenge any of the knockers on this board to name me just one current AFL club president better than Butters... Go on, just one!
As Magnum said Rick Hart from the Hart Foundation. If he applied the Rod Buttkicker philosophy Chris Connolly would be fronting Centrelink right about now.

You wouldn’t really expect RB to lay bare any club secrets or say a whole lot with substance for the media to get their teeth into. If anyone is surprised about the RB performance I suspect you didn’t see the pre and post Blight sacking performances.

My only issue with the way he speaks, apart from it grating on me personally, would be how the people he deals with on behalf of the club take him. No doubt footy people would find it all a bit off-putting. Business people, believe it or not, are by and large ordinary humans who aren’t stuck in an old management school and don’t believe more in process than impact or result. GT was almost as bad as RB with the irrelevant, cloaking management seminar speak at times.

Don’t confuse the issues though. Fundamentally the issue with GT was whether he was going to win a flag. List management, team selection, tactics etc are all important determinants and RB shouldn’t have any influence there except to assess results which he appears to have done. I don’t think he has looked deeply enough into the mirror myself but that doesn’t change whether GT was the best man for the job.

As I said at the time, there is still another chapter in the GT book to write yet. The new coach will partly write that for him.

As for RB’s performance the Blight appointment or sacking has to be an issue. One or the other. The subsequent GT appointment and then the continuation of an MO which was deemed unsatisfactory with out any board/president culpability is another issue for RB to be accountable for.

If I were a Saints fan I’d be happy enough with the sacking of GT provided there is ultimately a quality replacement obtained but very unhappy with the performance of the president over the duration.

Fred said:
I don't give a rats what Butterss says or how he comes across.
But you do when it is Eddie?
Fred said:
He's there for one reason and that's to do the best possible job for the StKilda FC.
Ah, the Eddie defense.
Fred said:
So far, given the membership, profits and stability, he's done that.
Based on improved on and off field that is an easy answer. His Blight and Thomas appointment/tenure/dismissal doesn’t bother you?
Fred said:
On field, the saints haven't improved in 3 years. As far as I'm concerned, they haven't approached the standard they played in the first half of 04. That's the coach's responsibility. If the board isn't confident that things will improve, change the coach. Almost all coaches end up getting sacked - it's hardly a unique situation.
A new view as of last week? I have seen nothing but defense of GT from you and Saints fans previously.

What Fred and MarkT said. Buttttterrrrrssss may be a tosser who is incapable of communicating in plain English (and not as good at public communication as he might be at running a company), but that doesn't mean the decision to sack Thomas was wrong. It's just a pity for Butterss & St Kilda's sake that RB seems to be incapable of explaining/discussing that decision with any clarity.

Bollox said:
Saints fans....sorry, but he's downright embarassing.

He was very uncomfortable, that's clear. What I gleaned from the corporate-speak was that the entire board was completely offside with Thomas, and had been for some time. Thomas wanted it done his way or no way, and in the end the board chose no way.

I suspect there are legal impediments to RB publicly clarifying the litany of GT’s performance issues, the majority of which (I believe) are not directly related to the team's on field performance. It does seem that the club's recent history of injury woes is being held against GT directly.

In the end, that's what the board are there to do. What remains to be seen is who will get the gig now, and what expectations we as members can realistically have for the on-field performance of our team. As always, time will tell.

This bloke kept constantly referring to best business practices. Football Club Boards should be their to run the business side and let the coaching department put in place their best practice. He constantly kept refering to how Roos, Craig and Worsfold operate and how they relate better to Generation Y. If he had such a poor repore with Generation Y, then Y (pardon the pun) is it that the Generation Y players at St Kilda were the ones so ****ed off about him getting the arse???

This bloke looks like he is going to run St Kilda into the ground and do a Christopher Skase!

Maybe Saints fans can start the chase for Buttarse!

Fred said:
My thoughts.

I don't give a rats what Butterss says or how he comes across. He's there for one reason and that's to do the best possible job for the StKilda FC. So far, given the membership, profits and stability, he's done that.

On field, the saints haven't improved in 3 years. As far as I'm concerned, they haven't approached the standard they played in the first half of 04. That's the coach's responsibility. If the board isn't confident that things will improve, change the coach. Almost all coaches end up getting sacked - it's hardly a unique situation.

To have all the nonsense about the saints being in trouble is garbage. They have never been run better in the entire clubs history but when the coach is dictating to the board, which seems to be the case, then that cannot be allowed to continue.

What he said :thumbsu:

Butters has been fantastic for our club and hope he continues the great work he is doing, I'm sorry he has upset some of the poor TV viewing public and didn't come across as an entertaining likeable top bloke.
Oh well maybe they can get big Jack back on for a few laughs.:) :thumbsu:

Roosurgence said:
This bloke kept constantly referring to best business practices. Football Club Boards should be their to run the business side and let the coaching department put in place their best practice. He constantly kept refering to how Roos, Craig and Worsfold operate and how they relate better to Generation Y. If he had such a poor repore with Generation Y, then Y (pardon the pun) is it that the Generation Y players at St Kilda were the ones so ****ed off about him getting the arse???

This bloke looks like he is going to run St Kilda into the ground and do a Christopher Skase!

Maybe Saints fans can start the chase for Buttarse!
The total irony is that these three, like Thomas, were all new to AFL coaching when they took the job. Given none of them are available how is he going to choose the next Gen Y coach - with a crystal ball?

Blues_Man said:
Yes because the st Kilda football club needs a coach who can speak the language of generation Y (thats the language of the young men of today , for you nuffys :) )
you need to put in place stratigams that can take you forward on a global scale .

anyone who watched that performance by Butters and comes away with any opinion other than the man is a complete tool with no effing idea or answers for Saints supporters , need to pull their heads out of their rectums

For once I have to agree with you, and that makes me very sad.

I have met the guy once or twice. Seemed okay at the time, but he usually has had a couple of reds on board when I have caught up with him.

Maybe he should have done the same last night.

He came across as a complete nuff nuff.

Tool is a bit stong.

Someone on Saintsational said that Sheahan and Healy were actually laughing at him.

Smirking, more like it.:mad: :mad: :mad:

I'm still fuming!

As for Butterss being good for the club financially, sure we've had a members increase, but I think that may have been a little more to do with the fact we had decent players playing decently for us and were winning games!

He has also cut costs around the club! If he wants us to overtake WC, Adelaide and Sydney he could try putting the state of the art facilities they have in place!

Useless @#$%^!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Fireman said:
Butters has been fantastic for our club and hope he continues the great work he is doing, I'm sorry he has upset some of the poor TV viewing public and didn't come across as an entertaining likeable top bloke.

No, it was really a very ***** poor performance, firey.:mad: :thumbsdown:

Bellablaise said:
I'm still fuming!

As for Butterss being good for the club financially, sure we've had a members increase, but I think that may have been a little more to do with the fact we had decent players playing decently for us and were winning games!

He has also cut costs around the club! If he wants us to overtake WC, Adelaide and Sydney he could try putting the state of the art facilities they have in place!

Useless @#$%^!!!

Too true, unfortunately.

The Fireman said:

You're nothing, if not predictable. :D

MarkT said:
But you do when it is Eddie? Ah, the Eddie defense. Based on improved on and off field that is an easy answer. His Blight and Thomas appointment/tenure/dismissal doesn’t bother you? A new view as of last week? I have seen nothing but defense of GT from you and Saints fans previously.

All wrong. Doubt if you'd find much or any anti-eddie from me and you won't find any staunch backing of GT.
Never defended or praised Blight and haven't said anything until now on the sacking of GT.

Fred said:
All wrong. Doubt if you'd find much or any anti-eddie from me and you won't find any staunch backing of GT.
Never defended or praised Blight and haven't said anything until now on the sacking of GT.
But I have MarkT and still do, GT was good for the club and so is Butters, the sacking? The good far outweighs the bad, I would have given GT 1 more year.

PS I'm anti Eddie:p

I didn't think it was possible, but he is more of a ******** than chris connoly and grant thomas COMBINED (based on on the couch last nite)

I didn't really have a problem with Thomas as coach. I thought his inadequacies as a tactician would have been more than compensated by having Rendell in the box. I can see the POV of the St Kilda board though. If they think he's not performed up to expectations, it's their right to fire him. It appears that Thomas's autocratic manner may also have been a factor in his demise. Despite this, he appeared to be a bloke who could manage young men, and gain respect from them.

As for Butterss, he came across as a person who's never had a thought outside of those implanted by his MBA lecturers. Either that or he's totally misunderstood some tutelage from a media adviser. This is not to say he's not a splendid administrator. I'ts just that I'd find it impossible to keep a straight face every time he opened his mouth at a board meeting, when he started mouthing his vacuous jargon.

The real thing of interest to me is what there is about Butterss' personal lifestyle which Thomas found so repugnant, to the extent that it spelt the end of their friendship when Thomas broached the subject. Any ideas anyone?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back