Rod Butters is a smug bastard.

Remove this Banner Ad

skilts said:
I didn't really have a problem with Thomas as coach. I thought his inadequacies as a tactician would have been more than compensated by having Rendell in the box. I can see the POV of the St Kilda board though. If they think he's not performed up to expectations, it's their right to fire him. It appears that Thomas's autocratic manner may also have been a factor in his demise. Despite this, he appeared to be a bloke who could manage young men, and gain respect from them.

As for Butterss, he came across as a person who's never had a thought outside of those implanted by his MBA lecturers. Either that or he's totally misunderstood some tutelage from a media adviser. This is not to say he's not a splendid administrator. I'ts just that I'd find it impossible to keep a straight face every time he opened his mouth at a board meeting, when he started mouthing his vacuous jargon.

The real thing of interest to me is what there is about Butterss' personal lifestyle which Thomas found so repugnant, to the extent that it spelt the end of their friendship when Thomas broached the subject. Any ideas anyone?
Butterss - is that his real name?

StefanoRoccoWhite said:
Yep then he does sound like a typical corpoarte high flyer who goes around in circles uses complex words and sentences to try and make the point seem like a good one when really all he is doing is regurgitating crap.

Typical corporate. They are all the same. Use the right or big words to jusitfy their positions and power.
so true. they baffle the workers with bs, with kpi's and major stakeholders. imploring all to work harder for less as this is a whole new world we live in, all the while giving themselves nice big pats on the back with fat bonuses and team building sessions. (usually in 5 star locations or magnificient holiday resorts, all at the companies expense).
and when all your crap doesnt work, sack some guys in middle management (coach) and employ a special taskforce or consultants to work out what is wrong because you are incapable of doing it yourself. footy and business, so similar yet so different. it's always someone elses fault.

The Fireman said:
First GT now Butters..who after him ???:D
You tiger dudes are funny...dumb..but funny:) :thumbsu:

Like I said Thomas now has a cult following here, no surprise really because it has more to do with getting another shot at belting St.Kilda.
I'm glad he's gone, I'd wanted him gone for a long time, but there's a lot of Thomas bashers who now want to say it's Butters
The main target has been destroyed, so they need someone else to have a crack at.

Grave Danger said:
Let's be honest about Grant Thomas for a minute - he speaks the same psychobabble as Butterss.

This is why this issue is so confusing - they are both FOS.

Reasons/rumours include:
GT-RB fall out
GT-MK fall out
GT too much of a control freak (like my missus)
GT knocked back Hille trade without advising SKFC
GT can't communicate with 18-25 yr olds
GT hasn't heeded board-advised changes in his coaching
GT has not done enough with list since 2004
GT just not a good enough coach to take SKFC the final step to premiership glory.

Jo Public is no dill. Why don't these people just have the balls to honestly explain their decision?
Hows the call that GT is not getting a 07 payout but that the club and GT has come to a satisfactory arrangement? That's called a payout d1ckhead.

After reading this thread last night I went out of my way to watch it.

For the life of me I can't see what the big deal is. Of course he's not going to answer the questions honestly - what good is that going to serve the club going forward?

You can criticise the board for the decision, but I don't see how they can be criticised for how they went about it.

JeffDunne said:

For the life of me I can't see what the big deal is. Of course he's not going to answer the questions honestly - what good is that going to serve the club going forward?

What harm would it have done the club moving forward? Provide members and supporters with some decent believable reasons for the sacking so we can relax and throw our support behind the move?

Unless there was not a single decent reason, is that what you're inferring?

I tell you what - by not answering honestly, openly, calmly, rationally, logically, or without defensiveness, he's hindered the club in going forward.

How many coaches looking for an appointment scratched the Saints off their list and starting sweating on the Cats job after last night? Would you want that fruitloop as your boss?

JeffDunne said:

You can criticise the board for the decision, but I don't see how they can be criticised for how they went about it.

Why did he go on the show then? Nobody forced him to. They seldom get other club presidents on when other coaches are fired. I think the guy was under the illusion that he could sell his snake oil.

Bellablaise said:
What harm would it have done the club moving forward? Provide members and supporters with some decent believable reasons for the sacking so we can relax and throw our support behind the move?

I tell you what - by not answering honestly, openly, calmly, rationally, logically, or without defensiveness, he's hindered the club in going forward.

How many coaches looking for an appointment scratched the Saints off their list and starting sweating on the Cats job after last night? Would you want that fruitloop as your boss?
mate I think you have lost sight of how important he has been and will be financially for the club, there are plenty of good coaches out there and worrying about Butterss would be bottom of their list:) :thumbsu:

Bellablaise said:
What would you describe as "decent believable reasons"?

I think you're inferring something using the word "decent".

If GT had short comings in the eyes of the board, to specify what those short comings were would come accross as RB slagging off GT (then you'd be criticising him for that). If the board laid the indivisual reasons out then those reasons would then become the focus of further debate. Again, what good could that possibly serve? The decision has been made - rightly or wrongly - and GT isn't coming back (that proposition is worse than sacking him in the first place), and IMO debating the reasons for his departure would do nothing but foster the fancifull idea that he might.

Disagree.

How many coaches looking for an appointment scratched the Saints off their list and starting sweating on the Cats job after last night?
None

Would you want that fruitloop as your boss?
From what I know of him, yes.

Can I ask you, if he is what you suggest, why would a smart bloke like GT be prepared to work for him?

Fred said:
All wrong. Doubt if you'd find much or any anti-eddie from me and you won't find any staunch backing of GT.
Never defended or praised Blight and haven't said anything until now on the sacking of GT.
If I have confused your views with others then I apologise.
The Fireman said:
But I have MarkT and still do, GT was good for the club and so is Butters, the sacking? The good far outweighs the bad, I would have given GT 1 more year.
I am a bit lost which good/bad? I guess a lot depends on who drove the sort of changes you are happy to have seen made. Ultimately I think some very much need changes have been made at the club in terms of culture and professionalism. Not unlike what Eddie drove at Collingwood. GT, like MM, is ultimately accountable for not winning premierships. I don’t have the slightest issue with GT’s sacking and nor would I with Malthouse being sacked for many of the same reasons. Overlaying the GT issues though are the whole approach he took to managing everything within the football department. Quite apart from whether he is a good tactician, failed to address list deficiencies, etc, his unwillingness to yield seems to have been a big part of his downfall. My issue with RB is that if he saw any or all of that as such a problem then it was a problem he helped create, foster and continue. On the back of the Blight fiasco his record doesn’t stack up well.

It’s your issue though if you are a voting member. You decide RB’s fate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vacuous Space said:
Why did he go on the show then? Nobody forced him to. They seldom get other club presidents on when other coaches are fired. I think the guy was under the illusion that he could sell his snake oil.
You're probably right.

MarkT said:
. I am a bit lost which good/bad?
I'm puzzled why you are confused, the good has been not having to worry about the club financially, something I havn't been able to do for a very long time. This means less worrying about the club folding which I believe is the good that outweighs the bad.
How did you not see that MT?:confused: :eek:

I have been a voting member for over 26 years.

JeffDunne said:
Can I ask you, if he is what you suggest, why would a smart bloke like GT be prepared to work for him?

Might be why they fell out and GT (supposedly) refused to take any of the board's suggestions on board, think of that?

Bellablaise said:
Might be why they fell out and GT (supposedly) refused to take any of the board's suggestions on board, think of that?
If GT was refusing to follow board directions then he deserved to be sacked.

skilts said:
The real thing of interest to me is what there is about Butterss' personal lifestyle which Thomas found so repugnant, to the extent that it spelt the end of their friendship when Thomas broached the subject. Any ideas anyone?

Maybe he had an uncontrollable sniff and runny nose that used to irk Grant. ;)

JeffDunne said:
If GT was refusing to follow board directions then he deserved to be sacked.

Not if Butterss is what I believe him to be, and if the rest of the board are in the same mould.

Besides, I said supposedly. It's speculation.

Bellablaise said:
Not if Butterss is what I believe him to be, and if the rest of the board are in the same mould.
I hope you are a paid up member and are prepared to take that attitude to the AGM.

Might be a good idea for you to buy multiple memberships because the current board would win in a landslide.

The Fireman said:
I'm puzzled why you are confused, the good has been not having to worry about the club financially, something I havn't been able to do for a very long time. This means less worrying about the club folding which I believe is the good that outweighs the bad.
How did you not see that MT?:confused: :eek:
Wasn’t sure if you were referring to RB, GT or the fact you can get Everitt.
The Fireman said:
I have been a voting member for over 26 years.
RB of LF?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back