Rod Marsh Resigns - Effective Immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

Rodney Hogg was critical of Chappell's appointment yesterday because "he's obsessed with picking youth".

Great. In fact, if that's the case he has my full support. Chappell's stint as a selector back in the mid to late 80s when he also pushed youth was well regarded.

I'll never wear Indian criticism of Chappell as being of any relevance or interest. He went in and tried to shake things up which is exactly what was needed. That included calling out the untouchable one on some things. He didn't like it and, of course, he prevailed. At worst, Chappell was naïve. Perhaps he should have known certain Indian cricketers are untouchable and the role of coach is to do what the senior player(s) want.

As for the youth league, sure it was Chappell's baby (though of course had/has CA support) and, on face value, I'm all for it. If it means a few less second tier trundlers hanging around in Shield or Second XI's, I couldn't care less. If it means the standard drops a little but more youngsters get some critical experience at a higher level, I couldn't care less either. Frankly, I found Geeves' article a little self-serving. Geeves was a handy first class cricketer but with a career bowling average of almost 34 and a batting average of 21, he was ultimately one of those 'almost all-rounders' we used to laugh at England for selecting.

If Chappell's sole input is pushing the barrow of some younger players, Australian cricket will be well served.

Last edited:

Rodney Hogg as critical of Chappell's appointment yesterday because "he's obsessed with picking youth".

Great. In fact, if that's the case he has my full support. Chappell's stint as a selector back in the mid to late 80s when he also pushed youth was well regarded.

I'll never wear Indian criticism of Chappell as being of any relevance or interest. He went in and tried to shake things up which is exactly what was needed. That included calling out the untouchable one on some things. He didn't like it and, of course, he prevailed. At worst, Chappell was naïve. Perhaps he should have known certain Indian cricketers are untouchable and the role of coach is to do what the senior player(s) want.

As for the youth league, sure it was Chappell's baby (though of course had/has CA support) and, on face value, I'm all for it. If it means a few less second tier trundlers hanging around in Shield or Second XI's, I couldn't care less. If it means the standard drops a little but more youngsters get some critical experience at a higher level, I couldn't care less either. Frankly, I found Geeves' article a little self-serving. Geeves was a handy first class cricketer but with a career bowling average of almost 34 and a batting average of 21, he was ultimately one of those 'almost all-rounders' we used to laugh at England for selecting.

If Chappell's sole input is pushing the barrow of some younger players, Australian cricket will be well served.

But if that "critical experience" comes at the expense of actually having to earn your spot through performance then it is detrimental to their development.

At the moment all we have done is replace mediocre older players with less than mediocre kids.

The quality kids (the ones with a hope of being decent players) would have made it anyway. But they would have learned their craft against better competition and actually have been made to earn it which would have made them better prepared for test/shield cricket.

Fu** no, unless you want to see 1.5 run per over.
Roosy turns mediocre footy teams into competitive units.
Yes he's defensive, but he gets players to play for him, not against or in spite of him.

A few sports are now using people from outside the square to help out. Clarkson with Melbourne Storm and vice versa for example.
Not as a coach, or cricket expert obviously, but a great man to have around any club.

Then again we could appoint Greg Chappell again, oh that's right, we already have.

The quality kids (the ones with a hope of being decent players) would have made it anyway.

They may have. Or they may not. Or they may not have got a look in til they were 24.

It was a reaction to what a few of us were commenting on 6-7 years ago on these boards whereby shield teams appeared to be increasingly chock full of seasoned professionals (often 'useful' all-rounders of Geeves ilk) and precious few kids were actually getting a look in. Whether the cure is perfect or not is debatable, but the illness was there some time back.

I can see both sides of that one. I'm quite happy to declare myself in the 'youth' camp. I'm not sure the practice of picking seasoned shield players is getting us anywhere at the moment and Australian cricket needs an injection of excitement. Debuting a bloke aged 32 isn't exactly tickling the public interest. Perhaps a dose of youth might inject some interest into the summer.

The problem reared its head during our successful period. CA noticed that whilst the Aussie team was dominating and the Shield competition was still strong at that time there were no good kids coming through. Shield cricket and 2nd XI cricket and state squads were full of older players, happy to hang around in the system longer than previously with the increased wages available.

The change to the 2nd XI competition was CA's solution and it doesn't look to have worked.

There was a problem then and there still is a problem now. Something needed to be done. Just not this.

Another part of the problem was that the era was so successful, none of the established test players wanted to retire. CA was happy for everyone to roll on and not force the issue and it's coming home to roost. In a previous generation, Ian Healy was pushed out, as was Mark Waugh, but then they lost their nerve.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back