sandeano

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Space
its naive to think those organisations dont have a clue,quit making excuses for them,theyre culpable and everyone knows it

I don't know, to be honest. But for a cash-strapped club at the time I reckon it would be, "Who's available? Are they any good? Are they free?" If the answer to all three was yes (and I guess this bloke was a volunteer or at most, did it for peanuts) then they were in. When they were about to fork out 7c in the dollar to stay afloat I reckon the Little League coach was the last thing on their mind. Guilty through ignorance, maybe...

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
God that is harrowing, and on a level with the previous article about Robbie Muir.

Needs to be a bit more unearthed about the scumbag/s that ran the Saints junior footy program.
Bingo.....

The only Difference is Rod Owen didnt go through any racism Like Robbie Muir did. Saying that, Both he and Muir had very sad childhoods.

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
I don't know, to be honest. But for a cash-strapped club at the time I reckon it would be, "Who's available? Are they any good? Are they free?" If the answer to all three was yes (and I guess this bloke was a volunteer or at most, did it for peanuts) then they were in. When they were about to fork out 7c in the dollar to stay afloat I reckon the Little League coach was the last thing on their mind. Guilty through ignorance, maybe...

I’d largely agree with that, people also don’t realise there wasn’t TV money to give to clubs in those days or minimum spend of salary cap, there were vast gaps in professionalism of organisations and resources they had in the 80s in comparison to the last 20-25 years, where no one is as bad as St kilda were from 79-86, where they were nearly last every year.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Sad is an understatement for both those blokes....
I agree..... But I remember seeing the Robbie Muir Article, Not to mention the polarizing opinions of him too.

Yes Robbie Muir belted the occasional player or 2. But sadly on the the other point, he copped his fiar share of verbal abuse. Sadly some of it was racial abuse.

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Milne rape scandal, schoolgirl saga, dwarf burning, letting pedos into little league.

They have form.

Are you stating that a VFL football club was running a paedophile ring through its Little League team?

I know at the time that plenty of people and organisations were negligent in the way they allowed this type of thing to occur, that was common. But supporting it and running it?? I find that very hard to believe.

gingernuts

binlicker
Apr 25, 2018
the southern end of the minyip swamp
AFL Club
Geelong
Showing your class there mate. Your mob aren't squeaky clean.

This was published 13 years ago
Dark side of the hoon they called the King
By Andrew Rule
February 3, 2008 — 11.00am
Save
Normal text sizeLarger text sizeVery large text size
Advertisement

WAYNE Carey always thought he could get away with it. On the field, it was his greatest asset: he would back himself to snatch victory off his own boot. Off the field, that arrogance nearly got him shot dead.
It happened in the mid-1990s, at the height of Carey's football fame. At a bar where footballers who dabbled in drugs drank with those who supplied them, Carey did something for which he was already notorious: he grabbed a woman's breast.
But this woman was with Jason Moran — then a feared gunman and drug dealer, later murdered, and a central figure in Melbourne's gangland war.

"Do that again and I'll kill you," a furious Moran told Carey — who, for once, backed down, as Moran later told his lawyer. The twist in the tale, of course, is that the footballer and the gunman later became "mates". Carey defied common sense and disapproval by running with drug dealers and killers.
In Wayne's world, no one said "no" until it was too late.
Advertisement

High on Carey's rap sheet of known indiscretions is that he gave character evidence for Moran in 2000. This was no surprise to police and the wiser, older football people who had watched his dalliance with the dark side of drugs and thugs.
On the last day of the spring racing carnival at Flemington in the late 1990s, recalls a well-known former ruckman, a detective who knew that the Moran "crew" was under secret surveillance tried to save Carey from himself.
"He (the policeman) got me to one side and said, 'Get your big mate out of here — that woman over there has a hidden camera in her bag because they're watching the Morans'," says the ex-player. "I went over and gave him the tip, but he brushed me off — said they were his mates and he wasn't worried, so I just said, 'No worries, Wayne,' and left. He's always been a shocker."

Carey's sexual exploits were legendary in sport circles. Football groupies threw themselves at the man they called "the King".
The stories are tasteless, mostly offensive and potentially defamatory. Of Carey "scoring" with different women every day — and sometimes more. Of starting a football trip by having sex with a stranger in an airport washroom before the team even boarded the plane.

And of cuckolding not only his "mate" Anthony Stevens in an infamous scandal with Stevens' wife, Kelli, but also at least two senior North Melbourne officials. When Carey lived in an inner suburb, one official and his wife lived nearby. When the woman went for a walk, says a former Kangaroo player: "If she turned right, she went along the river — but if she turned left, she would run right into Wayne Carey's living room."
So much for the boorish, sexist stuff of the "sportsman's night" and public bar. But there was not only sex, but violence.
According to a former Melbourne detective, there was a dark side to Carey's behaviour that would shock most football fans — and foreshadow the charges against him more than a decade later. In 1995 the detective and three other police, one now a superintendent, were asked to review several sexual assaults to see if they were linked. In each case, a young woman had been picked up at the North Melbourne Football Club disco at Arden Street and taken to a northern suburb.

In each case the woman said she had been coerced into sex with several men. In three cases, women told police that Wayne Carey and three other well-known players had sex with them.
It was, recalls the former detective, a classic "gang-bang" scenario — the victim lured to a quiet spot and confronted by extra "friends". No charges were laid against the footballers because each woman later made a written "statement of no complaint".

The police believed that other women had been persuaded not to go to the police in the first place. The former ruckman who had tried to warn Carey away from the Morans at the races said it was common knowledge at the club that Carey and two other players (one of them named by the ex-detective above) had been involved in an unsavoury incident with the young female, a friend of a club committeeman's daughter.
Key club figures made the scandal go away, he says.
All his career, Carey has shown signs of coming from a harder place than most of his peers.

After he first burst into AFL football in the early 1990s, he appeared on Triple M radio with two other stars, Jason Dunstall and James Hird, on a show called Pig, Jimmy and Roo Boy, produced by his then manager, Ricky Nixon. The casual format meant the three champions often swapped yarns on air. One day, Carey blithely told of how he had upset another motorist when he was a cocky teenager, driving from Wagga to Adelaide.
Attempting to tell the story against himself, he said he had not felt so cheeky when the other driver, a big man, stepped out of his vehicle and walked up to Carey's car.

But the punchline was that Carey had pulled out a Bowie knife, tapped it on the window as a warning, and said: "Have a look at this."
Carey seemed to think it was just an amusing Crocodile Dundee moment, but it was also an artless insight into the violent world he had come from.
Hird and Dunstall laughed off the potentially awkward moment, and changed the subject to something safer.

Glossing over Carey's flaws was a pattern that would let his adolescent habits become adult vices over the next decade.
The only person to say "no" to Carey in his senior football career was his first coach, Wayne Schimmelbusch.

He recalls dropping Carey and another player, Wayne Schwass, against Essendon because they had broken team rules. The Kangaroos lost the game. Not long later, Schimmelbusch lost the coaching job.
After that, Carey was treated as if he could do no wrong.
"The more he got away with, the more he thought he could get away with," muses Schimmelbusch. "There were never any repercussions."

And there were always "minders" to clean up the mess. But not any more. These days, Wayne Carey is on his own.

lumpinee

MK ULTRA
Jul 18, 2019
across the park from commission flats
AFL Club
Richmond
the moral and key to this piece(above)produced in relation to Rod Owen is of course'OFFICIALS MADE THE ISSUE GO AWAY' ...& there it is in a nutshell
anyone who thinks St.Kilda had no idea what they had going on in that club doesnt have a brain cell
if u still think Beaumaris Primary School and St.Kilda FC werent aware that they were harboring pedophiles then your intelligence has sadly gone amiss
thanks for this piece gingernuts,its very disturbing yet very,very telling

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Are you stating that a VFL football club was running a paedophile ring through its Little League team?

I know at the time that plenty of people and organisations were negligent in the way they allowed this type of thing to occur, that was common. But supporting it and running it?? I find that very hard to believe.
Honestly considering what we’ve seen come out in the last 20 years or so with historic child sexual abuse it wouldn’t be all that surprising if there was something like that going on.

Pretty sure similar stuff came out in the English football system.

A club actively supporting it? Perhaps not. Being negligent or aware of abusers being around? Not exactly the most outlandish thing.

I have read that much stuff over the last few years where this sort of s**t has been swept up under the rug by adults because for some reason nobody wanted to do anything about it.

As usual RoCo and Finey on Footyology do the best media.

Their podcast has a harrowing and sensible discussion of the case and the broader issues associated with Rod Owen's case.

Linda_Lovelace

Cancelled
Jul 28, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
He should be suing St Kilda also. What a despicable club they were. Letting a ped in the doors. Someone would have know and as for Stewart, sue him too.

westie

All Australian
Jul 9, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Paynter Dixon Torana
He should be suing St Kilda also. What a despicable club they were. Letting a ped in the doors. Someone would have know and as for Stewart, sue him too.
The fact that Ian Stewart was the head football is bizarre. Him commenting on Owen's drinking is even more bizarre coming from him. The bloke would turn up on game-day pissed!! Rod Owen's story brought tears to my eyes, the club has to look after him.

Jan 16, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
More St Kilda little league players have come out and told there harrowing stories of abuse while playing footy at St Kilda.

When are 7, Fox Footy etc going to show some ethics and talk about this stuff?

Deadset disgraceful how it has been ignored.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
More St Kilda little league players have come out and told there harrowing stories of abuse while playing footy at St Kilda.

I can't read that whole article it is absolutely disgusting. I just cannot comprehend how people turn a blind eye to that, I would be homicidal if I found out anything of the sort had happened to my kids or kids I knew - or any kids for that matter!

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Footy culture is, was and always has been grubby.

Every club I've played at (3 of them) had their share of creeps, deadshits, weirdos and crooks.

But they're your creeps, deadshits, weirdos and crooks. So it's excused.

There is no way the AFL will ever look deeply into this sort of s**t. They know what they'll find.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Jesus, another one.

An ABC Sport investigation has discovered that Carlton's Little League team was coached and managed for five seasons between 1973 and 1977 by John Dennis Morice, a prolific paedophile who was later convicted on numerous occasions for the sexual abuse of schoolboy footballers he coached.

Under the VFL's (now AFL) rules for the Little League competition, clubs were required to select at least 100 boys per season, meaning hundreds of Carlton players were coached by a sex offender whose crimes were once described by a County Court Judge as "depraved, sickening and repugnant".

ABC Sport has spoken to a number of former Carlton Little League players who were sexually abused by Morice, who died in 2016. A lauded, popular and successful coach, Morice led the Carlton Little League team for more than 100 games, steering the Blues' Under-11s to multiple grand final appearances.

Christ...

According to one player, before Morice even took on the Carlton Little League coaching role, his sexual abuse of boys had already prompted his removal from one northern suburbs community football club.

"He got done for touching up kids," the player says.

"But the parents didn't tell anyone else. In those days, nobody said anything."

Jesus, another one.

Christ...

According to one player, before Morice even took on the Carlton Little League coaching role, his sexual abuse of boys had already prompted his removal from one northern suburbs community football club.

"He got done for touching up kids," the player says.

"But the parents didn't tell anyone else. In those days, nobody said anything."
There was a teacher removed from a school I went to and every kid there knew why it happened. It didn't effect me but the first time my parents found out about it was when I mentioned it to them in passing.

There was a teacher removed from a school I went to and every kid there knew why it happened. It didn't effect me but the first time my parents found out about it was when I mentioned it to them in passing.
Every other girl at our school knew to stay away from one teacher. He was caught coming back into the country after a trip to Asia with pictures of himself and an underaged girl.

So surprising for a Catholic school to completely ignore students complaints about paedos.

The kids know, but they are the ones least likely to be heard.

300Weatherby

Cancelled
Apr 12, 2021
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
GCS & Bianchi Cup
Showing your class there mate. Your mob aren't squeaky clean.

Any group of people who defend grubs like Milne are highly questionable.

The thought of someone like that playing for my club is sickening

Back