Rodney Ulyate

Remove this Banner Ad

Just had a squiz at the WG slideshow. Hard to tell just how good WG would have been from such little evidence. Some of his shots look solid, others look like he's terribly unbalanced at the time of impact. Of course, we have to remember that these pics would have been taken during a warm-up, or at the very least he was just posing for the camera. (Would have taken a long time for the pics to develop in those days).

Just had a squiz at the WG slideshow. Hard to tell just how good WG would have been from such little evidence. Some of his shots look solid, others look like he's terribly unbalanced at the time of impact. Of course, we have to remember that these pics would have been taken during a warm-up, or at the very least he was just posing for the camera. (Would have taken a long time for the pics to develop in those days).

Worth noting that WG was in his mid-to-late fifties when these were taken, and that I explicitly eschewed the stilted, posed photographs we're accustomed to seeing. As I note in the description, these photographs are all live/action efforts, although I'll grant the last batch, depicting that weird, cross-batted swipe, seems to straddle the line.

Fortunately we're not limited to photographs. Here's some footage of his on-drive:

Rodney

Cheers Rodney. That's an amazing restoration job. Would love for you to stick around & show us some more of the pre-TV era greats!

Rodney Ulyate, if interested in more exposure you could try getting in touch with Jarrod Kimber.

He could be interested in chatting to you or promoting your work, he seems like he might be pretty approachable from viewing his online content, and has a podcast about the history of cricket you may or may not know about:

Rodney Ulyate, if interested in more exposure you could try getting in touch with Jarrod Kimber.

He could be interested in chatting to you or promoting your work, he seems like he might be pretty approachable from viewing his online content, and has a podcast about the history of cricket you may or may not know about:

Actually, I asked him to play the role of Charles Bannerman for me a couple of months ago. Haven't heard back, but he's been pretty prolific in the interim, so I imagine it's down to that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In probably the only recording he ever made, the great Australian captain remembers the greatest of his charges:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back