• Yes

Votes: 64 61.0%
  • No

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • Don't care

Votes: 16 15.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I was talking to a guy who I work with who is a truck driver and he mentioned that in Brisbane they built a bridge over an area the public didn't want destroyed.

Not too sure how this would impact on the budget but I think it's a reasonable idea. Wetlands stay intact and roe 8 continues with a modification.
I think thats actually what the plan is.

There's nothing wrong with increasing debt provided you get some decent infrastructure out of it. Trouble is there's no way, shape or form that Roe 8 qualifies as decent infrastructure.
With regard to the Ellenbrook rail link, Peter Newman proposed that the cost could be met by the resultant increase in land values along the line. Sounds a good idea.

There's nothing wrong with increasing debt provided you get some decent infrastructure out of it. Trouble is there's no way, shape or form that Roe 8 qualifies as decent infrastructure.
With regard to the Ellenbrook rail link, Peter Newman proposed that the cost could be met by the resultant increase in land values along the line. Sounds a good idea.

I agree with the train line. Perth doesn't even have a train line to the airports. Other cities you hop off the plane and catch a train to your destination.

I am a regular on the Mandurah line, you are joking about the four full trains a day?:rolleyes:Most services are well used. True not all off peak services are full but I lived in Melbourne and their off peak trains aren't full either. Public transport is the only way to go. Travel by road is outdated . Perth residents need to get over their love of the car. What are your expectations of living in Perth? Wouldn't a decent place to live, healthcare and public transport be high on the agenda. What have baby boomers living in Cott,City Beach,Leederville or any other close to the city suburbs dying have to do with young families buying a home.Those properties will always be out of the reach of first home buyers. The only hope they have is cheaper real estate in the outer suburbs and they deserve the essential infrastructure as well.
living in inner suburbs wouldnt be out of the reach of new home owners if those new home owners were willing to live in a town house or apartment. they sadly want their cake and eat it to. living an hour and a half from where they work because they want room for a dingy and crab net for the weekend. the way outer suburbs people live is not sustainable and tough luck if it takes you hours to get to work you chose to live out there. there are apartment developments close to the cbd with 40% occupancy rates. in one of our recent projects we had 2 bedders going for 290k and they got snapped up by chinese people Aussies wont touch them even though they are awesome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

living in inner suburbs wouldnt be out of the reach of new home owners if those new home owners were willing to live in a town house or apartment. they sadly want their cake and eat it to. living an hour and a half from where they work because they want room for a dingy and crab net for the weekend. the way outer suburbs people live is not sustainable and tough luck if it takes you hours to get to work you chose to live out there. there are apartment developments close to the cbd with 40% occupancy rates. in one of our recent projects we had 2 bedders going for 290k and they got snapped up by chinese people Aussies wont touch them even though they are awesome.
This concept has been floated in social media discussions for so long, it has become gospel.
Speaking from experience, having a young family - I can tell you that we were priced out of inner suburb living by the mining boom, where every house within half an hour of the city costed around half a million dollars minimum. Apartments are good investment properties, or if you're an inner city student.. But they're no good for raising a family of 4.

As for the Large blocks to hold the dingy's & crab nets? The average blocks in outer city developments ie. Ellenbrook in this instance are around 400sqm - which is far less than your old tried & true 700sqm blocks that were mapped out in inner suburbia 40 years ago that are now being gradually subdivided.. No dingys out here, it's mainly just middle income families getting into the housing market at an unfortunate time.

I agree with the train line. Perth doesn't even have a train line to the airports. Other cities you hop off the plane and catch a train to your destination.

Travelled much? I think it's only Brisbane and Sydney that have train stations at their airport. Melbourne doesn't have one.
Airport railway links are notoriously bad investments and there are plenty of examples.

Economies of scale at play there.

The inverse for Ellenbrook.
The economies of scale side of things does little to debunk the common narrative that outer suburbians simply choosing to live an hr from the city due to their desire for a horse paddock and a shed to fit the caravan & tinnie though, "Tough luck, you chose the lifestyle" etc.

The economies of scale side of things does little to debunk the common narrative that outer suburbians simply choosing to live an hr from the city due to their desire for a horse paddock and a shed to fit the caravan & tinnie though, "Tough luck, you chose the lifestyle" etc.
As opposed to the myth that children need their own bedroom?

This concept has been floated in social media discussions for so long, it has become gospel.
Speaking from experience, having a young family - I can tell you that we were priced out of inner suburb living by the mining boom, where every house within half an hour of the city costed around half a million dollars minimum. Apartments are good investment properties, or if you're an inner city student.. But they're no good for raising a family of 4.

As for the Large blocks to hold the dingy's & crab nets? The average blocks in outer city developments ie. Ellenbrook in this instance are around 400sqm - which is far less than your old tried & true 700sqm blocks that were mapped out in inner suburbia 40 years ago that are now being gradually subdivided.. No dingys out here, it's mainly just middle income families getting into the housing market at an unfortunate time.
A family of 4 as in four kids or 2 and 2?

There's a stack of 3 bedroom apartments within 5km of the city (Leederville, South Perth, East Perth, etc). Might be squishy for 4 kids but viable for 2 and 2. All for less than $500k.

http://www.realestate.com.au/buy/wi...+wa;+/list-1?maxBeds=3&source=location-search

I respect that. why is it enough for a family of 4 almost anywhere else on earth? thats my challenge to the aussie dream. also going back to my point of baby boomers dying, the hope is some of those oversized blocks in the western suburbs will filter back into the market and get rezoned r80 or something. particularly ones located around transport nodes.

I respect that. why is it enough for a family of 4 almost anywhere else on earth? thats my challenge to the aussie dream. also going back to my point of baby boomers dying, the hope is some of those oversized blocks in the western suburbs will filter back into the market and get rezoned r80 or something. particularly ones located around transport nodes.

It's already happening

People don't want to have to deal with bodies corporate, which are filled with little Hitlers telling people what they can and can't do. Have lived in apartments up until last year when I bought a house, and I don't miss the nasty politics of apartment living one bit.

Townhouses or terraces with separate title I can see Aussies going for, but these are rare in Australia, outside the very old inner suburbs of our major cities.

People don't want to have to deal with bodies corporate, which are filled with little Hitlers telling people what they can and can't do. Have lived in apartments up until last year when I bought a house, and I don't miss the nasty politics of apartment living one bit.

I'd never live in an apartment for that reason plus I want my daughter to have a big backyard to play and swim. I also like making noise. Each to thier own but I guess.

Back