Roger Federer is not the GOAT

Remove this Banner Ad

zMC7usP_d.jpg

Tennis players ( and golfers ) live or die by one number. Slams won.

Without googling can any of you say how many PGA events Tiger woods won? How many weeks at number 1? Yet most of you know how many slams....14.

How may ATP events has Novak won? You probably have to google it but you know he won 12 slams.

19 is the number most sports fans now relate to in thinking of Fed. This is higher than any other player and that means in the popular mind he is the unargued GOAT.

H2H V Rafa? Roger better than Rafa at finalling on unfavoured surface.
H2H V Novak? 20 something Novak V 30 something Roger. Let's see how well a 30 plus Novak does V top 4 opposition.

Fed is beyond any real argument the Greatest.

So if the hawks ever get a womens team and they end up winning 4 premierships in a row, you would rank them higher than the male hawks of 2013-15 ?
He's tried that argument before, best not to respond. Serena's own coach, as well as Rafa's coach, along with nearly every former player has basically acknowledged his standing in the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would rank Roger as the GOAT, followed closely by Rafa. I think Roger is the favourite going into the US swing. To be playing this well at 35 is outstanding and the commitment he has made to make himself better. I just wished he had changed his racket a couple of years earlier instead of using a small head racket, he might of had a couple more slams. The French finals between Rafa and Roger were always going to be a one way affair with Rafa. The top four are versatile on all surfaces and have won slams on each surface.

I'm now at the stage where I prefer to say we were lucky enough to see the 3 greatest players of all time playing at once.
Djokovic and Nadal own Federer in h2h Grand Slam matches, I find it hard to say he's outright the greatest when his two main rivals have had the better of him. But there's no doubt that Fed owns them in overall Grand Slams (obviously).

It's a privilege to watch it all unfold, and the great thing is there's probably still another 3-4 years of this. Tennis will go through a serious lull when they've all retired.

Well of course it is 4 is better than 3 ;)

Judgmental sizeist !!! How very dare you.

That said your Serena is better troll is quite funny in that it exposes the official lie that the mens and womens events are notionally equal as the pious claptrap it is.

One is event open to the best. The other a handicap division existing because its entrants re physically inferior at the sport. Not a comparison of like with like.

Just thinking about it today, Federer has placed himself in the discussion of GOAT.

I don't mean of tennis, I'm talking about of all sportsmen. Jordan, Pele, Ali, Gretzky, Bradman, Federer.

I think this is true. I think it is fair to say he now transcends tennis and now is included among the greatest sportsmen historically.

Novelists and writers have raved about the beauty of his play the way they did about Ali's movement or Pele's dribbling or Bradman's sheer unflappable Goatness.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back