Roger Federer is not the GOAT

Remove this Banner Ad

I think this is true. I think it is fair to say he now transcends tennis and now is included among the greatest sportsmen historically.

Novelists and writers have raved about the beauty of his play the way they did about Ali's movement or Pele's dribbling or Bradman's sheer unflappable Goatness.
That's what sets him apart from guys like Nadal and Djokovic. Federer is truly an artist. The stuff he does on the court, the shots he plays. He's incredible. He also does it so consistently. Like you see a great shot from Cilic, or an unbelievable shot from Nishikori or something. But Federer does it so many times, within the same match where you just shake your head like... whaaaa?

GOAT.

There are three clear GOATS which cannot be argued.

Jordan
Brady
Federer

Question to the tennis experts what has he done differently since the 2012-2015 period?

Is it just as simply as rest and good fortune?

Question to the tennis experts what has he done differently since the 2012-2015 period?
- injury free
- focussed scheduling that play to his strengths
- switching rackets to a bigger head size which has helped to reduce shanks. This in turn has given him confidence in his topsin backhand
- Nadal and Djokovic not in their prime. Specifically Djokovic. Don't know how many times fed lost to Novak during that period

There are three clear GOATS which cannot be argued.

Jordan
Brady
Federer

Is it just as simply as rest and good fortune?
Pretty much as Pepsi said, plus he's adapted a tiny bit to playing Nadal by turning his backhand into a more formidable weapon by taking the ball early and really driving through it. I think he's more confident now than he was in his body and that he's done all his preparation to a tee.

He was still making finals during Djokovic's hot streak (wimbledon and US I think), albeit with niggling back injuries, problem was nobody could beat Djokovic back then, he was having some top 10 best seasons of all time and Federer was caught inbetween being too good for the rest of the field, and lacking the power for a 5 set grind with Djokovic.

That's what sets him apart from guys like Nadal and Djokovic. Federer is truly an artist. The stuff he does on the court, the shots he plays. He's incredible. He also does it so consistently. Like you see a great shot from Cilic, or an unbelievable shot from Nishikori or something. But Federer does it so many times, within the same match where you just shake your head like... whaaaa?

GOAT.

It's also why Messi is unarguably superior to Ronaldo. One a physical genius doing what no one else can. The other "merely" amazingly talented. Messi's relationship to Ronaldo is similar to Federer's with Djokovic and Nadal.

The fundamental difference is not in numbers of titles or championships. It is in the ability to make people gasp, look at their neighbour at the court or pitch and go " did you see that shot".

You can't argue very often with slam numbers when you rate tennis and golf greats. There are some exceptions to the rule, like Normans weeks at Number 1 and other tournaments won will rank him higher than say a Zach Johnson, even if he wins a third one day. But when you are talking big numbers, 19 simply eclipses lesser numbers.
In golf and tennis I rate GOAT in mens and womans separately. Some may not, but that's my choice.
Federer..GOAT!!

You can't argue very often with slam numbers when you rate tennis and golf greats. There are some exceptions to the rule, like Normans weeks at Number 1 and other tournaments won will rank him higher than say a Zach Johnson, even if he wins a third one day. But when you are talking big numbers, 19 simply eclipses lesser numbers.
In golf and tennis I rate GOAT in mens and womans separately. Some may not, but that's my choice.
Federer..GOAT!!

Basically I agree.

Greatest golfer? Nicklaus. 18 majors speaks for itself
Greatest tennis player? Federer. 19 speaks even louder.

Yes other stats and factors can come into account but only if there is no clear winner in the stat that matters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem for me is that they all have years left in them. The next 3-4 years could change things. Federer could go way out ahead. Nadal might reel in him. Djokovic might catch up. They're all that good.

Only in the fullness of time will we know.

But one thing I'm sure of is that there will never be another trio all playing at the same time like this.. Admittedly it's the era I've grown up watching so I never got to see a great deal of Borg, McEnroe, Sampras, Connors etc but in all likelihood we're watching the three greatest players that have ever lived.

The problem for me is that they all have years left in them. The next 3-4 years could change things. Federer could go way out ahead. Nadal might reel in him. Djokovic might catch up. They're all that good.

But one thing I'm sure of is that there will never be another trio all playing at the same time like this.. Admittedly it's the era I've grown up watching so I never got to see a great deal of Borg, McEnroe, Sampras, Connors etc but in all likelihood we're watching the three greatest players that have ever lived.
I have been lucky enough to see them all, including Laver, Newc, Rosewall, Emerson etc.
Luckier enough to still remember that I have seen them.
Anyway, imho, and being an avid tennis lover, Federer is an artist. He makes the impossible look effortless. I love his perfection. He has struggled with the sheer brutal power of Nadal and Djokovic, and his age somewhat, yet he still won 2 GS's in 2017. Sheer freak, and right now, GOAT.
Rightly, as you say, let's look at it again once this trio has all retired.

http://video.eurosport.com/tennis/t...he-2017-australian-open_vid956930/video.shtml
just from the Oz Open, and there are page of his highlights, AND he won
this kid is 18/19, lets compare them at the same age, I have never seen someone with such facility on the backhand, he does not need to wind up the lassoo like a wind up top as Gasquet does, which takes his body out of equilibrium for return shots, he can pull this shot at 100% from any position and the recovery is the same as a forehand equilibrium recovery, unlike richard human backhand gasquet, and a one-hand has about an extra 18 inches you can cover versus pulling a two-hander... and the guy is quick like the inspector gadget frenchman monfils

Is Djokovic healed both physically and whatever personal stuff ? His peak form is arguably the most superlative
his defense is. his court he can cover, prolly has two feet extra than fed. the only one who could cover a court like that would be Monfils, but he ruins his ligaments with his ballistic technique, and when he can make a wide ball, or a short ball, he does not have facility to turn the shot into offense in one stroke like Nole can (* asterisk means, on some occasions, as I said, it is "defense")

Last edited:

Given Djokovic is 31 in May I can't see him winning another 7 slams to reel Federer in.

Given Djokovic is 31 in May I can't see him winning another 7 slams to reel Federer in.
I say this in all sincerity - do yourself a favour and read through this thread.

So many people have made predictions and so many have been wrong (including me).

I would not be betting against anything happening now, it's all possible with these three. Everything's on the table. Haha

I say this in all sincerity - do yourself a favour and read through this thread.

So many people have made predictions and so many have been wrong (including me).

I would not be betting against anything happening now, it's all possible with these three. Everything's on the table. Haha

Lol my predictions have been wrong over years. I don't bother making anymore predictions.

I didn't realise Novak was nearly 31. I wonder if his body can continue to play that defensive game.

I wonder if Novak gets that steely hunger back that set him apart, because he seemed to lose that after capturing 2016 RG and the birth of his child.

his defense is. his court he can cover, prolly has two feet extra than fed. the only one who could cover a court like that would be Monfils, but he ruins his ligaments with his ballistic technique, and when he can make a wide ball, or a short ball, he does not have facility to turn the shot into offense in one stroke like Nole can (* asterisk means, on some occasions, as I said, it is "defense")
The_Eagles in this reply above I first wrote Gasquet not Monfils, but I just edited out Gasquet and placed it with the player I meant, Monfils.

I was talking about Nole Djoker's ability to defend. Denis Sharapovalov also has wheels and can defend like Fed and Djokavic. heck, I keep writing before editing, Gasquet. He of the "cocaine kiss". Why did not Martina Hingis ever use the "cocaine kiss" defense.

but Monfils ballistic movement on defense, especially the hardcourt will make him an invalid(noun) by the time he is 35, I think even on clay he jumps around and does not really slide like Nole (Djoker)...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back