Roger Federer is not the GOAT

Ok, I agree. Fed lacks nothing. His DH BH is a thing of beauty, and against the brutal incessant power of that duo, it can go astray. But I love that he has done it all his career
If there's one thing he lacks, it's mental fortitude on key points. Which has got him undone time and time again (especially against Novak). Federer's '19 Wimby IMO is something he will never recover from mentally. It was his for the taking and he crumbled.

If there's one thing he lacks, it's mental fortitude on key points. Which has got him undone time and time again (especially against Novak). Federer's '19 Wimby IMO is something he will never recover from mentally. It was his for the taking and he crumbled.
It was agonising for me to watch that, and I have seen him do that against Nadal as well. Still, I love Federer and he will be my #1 for a little while yet.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
That some here are trying to put Federer down and in some cases point out he has choked is just mind boggling, he is a superstar and if Nadal or djocovick overtake his record then so be it. All 3 are legends without dispute already. Nothing will change that they are all legends.
Who is the actual best is of course personal opinion, until someone passes Feds grand slam tally then he is number 1, if it’s passed then that player takes the mantle. All superstars.

That some here are trying to put Federer down and in some cases point out he has choked is just mind boggling, he is a superstar and if Nadal or djocovick overtake his record then so be it. All 3 are legends without dispute already. Nothing will change that they are all legends.
Who is the actual best is of course personal opinion, until someone passes Feds grand slam tally then he is number 1, if it’s passed then that player takes the mantle. All superstars.
THAT is 100% correct. We will look back and realise what an era that was.

Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
I found this article from 2017 amusing.
It ranks Federer as the greatest sportsman of all time ahead of people like Muhammad Ali, Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan .

"Famed as well for his gentlemanly conduct, Federer's heady mix of tennis godhood and insane popularity mean he has reached an unprecedented level of achievement across any sport."

Definitely not true now .

He may even finish behind the Djoker and Nadal.

blackcat

Irving's godfather and handle
Dec 29, 2003
Beverly Hills 90210 Antifa bracket
AFL Club
Richmond
again , like MJ and Lebron
discussion inevitably devolves to one of measurement/categorisation

wins (in number of Slams)
win in geographies (prestigious slams)
versus aesthetics
versus flexibilty over surfaces
versus epoch
versus dominance in epoch
versus catchment sum (opening central & eastern europe plus asia)

i think a better measure is individual categories
wrt Defense qua defence noone has a lick on nole

chipncharge no one has a lick on Paul AnnaconeSABR

edit: not a combe annacone

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
again , like MJ and Lebron
discussion inevitably devolves to one of measurement/categorisation

wins (in number of Slams)
win in geographies (prestigious slams)
versus aesthetics
versus flexibilty over surfaces
versus epoch
versus dominance in epoch
versus catchment sum (opening central & eastern europe plus asia)

i think a better measure is individual categories
wrt Defense qua defence noone has a lick on nole

chipncharge no one has a lick on Paul AnnacombeSABR
Paul Annacone a blast from the past.

blackcat

Irving's godfather and handle
Dec 29, 2003
Beverly Hills 90210 Antifa bracket
AFL Club
Richmond
Paul Annacone a blast from the past.
post-McEnroe + Bjorg (@Wimbledon) , i think Annacone was the first to contribute chipNcharge to hardcourt playing tactics, a dozen years pre-Rafter, pre-Stich/Stitch , some tennis FigBooty participants will no doubt be aware for a more accurate assessment

Still hasn't recovered.

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I found this article from 2017 amusing.
It ranks Federer as the greatest sportsman of all time ahead of people like Muhammad Ali, Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan .

"Famed as well for his gentlemanly conduct, Federer's heady mix of tennis godhood and insane popularity mean he has reached an unprecedented level of achievement across any sport."

Definitely not true now .

He may even finish behind the Djoker and Nadal.

You have the astounding name of careful hyperbole…too clever by three heartbeats

Back