Roger Federer is not the GOAT

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 24, 2009
In your dreams
AFL Club
West Coast
I don’t think Novak will catch Fed. Would have to win half the GS over the next 3 years. Tough ask.

triangle-shape-slice-piece-of-chocolate-fudge-cake-decorated-with-picture-id903494838

I'll admit I had lost hope and was doubtful as well when the gap got to 20 slams for Federer and Djokovic was on 12 slams.
You were adamant last year to ;)

Funny how life works. Djokovic will not pass Federers GS count now due to the corona virus. There won't be any grand slam tennis in 2020 and djokovic will be 34 in 2021. Nadal still has every chance though.

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
I have never been happier being wrong 😊

Though technically he hasn't passed them yet. Fingers crossed it happens Monday morning.
Novak is goat even without winning tomorrow. As the OP said, Federer won many slams in a transition period between eras. He was however the first to be perfect.

1.Novak
2. Rafa
3. Fed

LuckyHawk

Premiership Player
Feb 16, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Novak is goat even without winning tomorrow. As the OP said, Federer won many slams in a transition period between eras. He was however the first to be perfect.

1.Novak
2. Rafa
3. Fed
Novak and Rafa not in the same league as Fed if they used a one handed backhand. Can't they swing these
super lightweight racquets with one handed. What are they weak or just not good enough to master a one hander?

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Novak and Rafa not in the same league as Fed if they used a one handed backhand. Can't they swing these
super lightweight racquets with one handed. What are they weak or just not good enough to master a one hander?
Not sure if you’re being sarcastic or not.

It’s easier to generate power with a one hander, second hand is for accuracy and control.

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Not being sarcastic. You saying Novak, Rafa, Medvedev, and Zverev have weak backhands compared to Fed?
No I’m saying it’s harder to generate racquet head speed with a two hander. The degree of freedom to swing with a one hander is greater.

double handers are better when playing heavy balls and for control.

Either way it’s ludicrous to be arguing the merits of GOAT based on ones shot selection. Also absurd to imply Roger is stronger than Rafa.

LuckyHawk

Premiership Player
Feb 16, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No I’m saying it’s harder to generate racquet head speed with a two hander. The degree of freedom to swing with a one hander is greater.

double handers are better when playing heavy balls and for control.

Either way it’s ludicrous to be arguing the merits of GOAT based on ones shot selection. Also absurd to imply Roger is stronger than Rafa.
Never said Roger is stronger than Rafa. "Degree of freedom to swing with a one hander" means absolutely nothing.
Fact is strong athletic pro tennis players shouldn't require 2 hands to swing a racquet that weighs under 300 grams.
lt is much easier using a 2 hander which is in my view is a cop out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Never said Roger is stronger than Rafa. "Degree of freedom to swing with a one hander" means absolutely nothing.
Fact is strong athletic pro tennis players shouldn't require 2 hands to swing a racquet that weighs under 300 grams.
lt is much easier using a 2 hander which is in my view is a cop out.
It’s harder to kick a drop punt, so are you saying that AFL players should revert to an inferior technique just because it’s less effective?

There are pros and cons with both single and double handed backhands. It has nothing to do with the weight of the racquet. It’s like saying being a lefty is cheating because they are more skilful. It comes down to preference.

LuckyHawk

Premiership Player
Feb 16, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It’s harder to kick a drop punt, so are you saying that AFL players should revert to an inferior technique just because it’s less effective?

There are pros and cons with both single and double handed backhands. It has nothing to do with the weight of the racquet. It’s like saying being a lefty is cheating because they are more skilful. It comes down to preference.
Rubbish. Over 90% of players use the 2 hander because they it's easier to master and they know they won't be anywhere
near as competitive without it. That is clearly not an admirable trait, just a sign of an inferior player. The pros far outweigh
the cons for the 2 hander, it's not even close.

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Rubbish. Over 90% of players use the 2 hander because they it's easier to master and they know they won't be anywhere
near as competitive without it. That is clearly not an admirable trait, just a sign of an inferior player. The pros far outweigh
the cons for the 2 hander, it's not even close.
I feel like I’m in the twilight zone, this is literally one of the most non sensical things I’ve ever heard. I feel dumber for having participated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back