Movie Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - Spoilers and Rumors

Remove this Banner Ad

Re-posting here what I said elsewhere....

---------------

I hated Rogue One. It was a very badly paced movie, first 2/3rds was boring and all over the shop, I was looking around the cinema most of the time, disappointed, not engaged.

That last third of the movie was much more entertaining, i was like a 12 yo boy in a T**ty bar, so excited....tho I was still able to not get over-hyped and realize the "war documentary" aspect I was watching wasn't that great either. But enjoyable to see that in a SW movie.

Everyone was ecstatic about Rogue One's element of War Documentary finally. Something a little different, more gritty. But it still didnt save the movie overall. Nor did that War Documentary aspect of it do something top shelf in itself. When one thinks of "War Documentary" type action scenes in movies, they're not gonna cite R1 in some top 10. Know what I mean?

The ONLY great thing about R1 was the very end, when Darth Vader slayed all those people. That was it! And also, for 2 seconds, the Sad Vader staring at the window of the bridge of his ship, watching the mayhem going on outside. That two seconds of Sad Vader made a huge impression on me. ANYWAY.....I'd rate it probably....

3/10

1 for Sad Vader
1 for Vader carnage
1 for war documentary aspect to it

Re-posting here what I said elsewhere....

---------------

I hated Rogue One. It was a very badly paced movie, first 2/3rds was boring and all over the shop, I was looking around the cinema most of the time, disappointed, not engaged.

That last third of the movie was much more entertaining, i was like a 12 yo boy in a T**ty bar, so excited....tho I was still able to not get over-hyped and realize the "war documentary" aspect I was watching wasn't that great either. But enjoyable to see that in a SW movie.

Everyone was ecstatic about Rogue One's element of War Documentary finally. Something a little different, more gritty. But it still didnt save the movie overall. Nor did that War Documentary aspect of it do something top shelf in itself. When one thinks of "War Documentary" type action scenes in movies, they're not gonna cite R1 in some top 10. Know what I mean?

The ONLY great thing about R1 was the very end, when Darth Vader slayed all those people. That was it! And also, for 2 seconds, the Sad Vader staring at the window of the bridge of his ship, watching the mayhem going on outside. That two seconds of Sad Vader made a huge impression on me. ANYWAY.....I'd rate it probably....

3/10

1 for Sad Vader
1 for Vader carnage
1 for war documentary aspect to it
I'm 2/3rs through rewatching for the first time since the cinema and you are nuts, it's worth 5 points alone just for K2-SO.

I'm 2/3rs through rewatching for the first time since the cinema and you are nuts, it's worth 5 points alone just for K2-SO.
He was good. But really we've seen this exact type of thing before -- a smart-alec droid. He was fun, but he didn't make nor save the movie either. Him being in it didn't change the movie from STILL being incredibly boring and badly paced for 2/3rds, and STILL didn't lessen the displeasure of things like the blind dude walking unharmed thru a battle zone, KILLING twelve armored stormtroopers with a stick, and such things.

He was good. But really we've seen this exact type of thing before -- a smart-alec droid. He was fun, but he didn't make nor save the movie either. Him being in it didn't change the movie from STILL being incredibly boring and badly paced for 2/3rds, and STILL didn't lessen the displeasure of things like the blind dude walking unharmed thru a battle zone, KILLING twelve armored stormtroopers with a stick, and such things.
I disliked the blind guy more than JarJar, he was just so pigeonholed and unbelievable.

Yes he's a lot like C3PO.. EXCEPT... not mostly completely useless, actually very funny and witty, and lastly not incredibly camp bordering on gay. Seriously I'll be pissed if they bring 3PO back for any more movies but I guess of course they will because the gold prick is in everything else.

I thought the first 2/3 was a bit dull at times in the cinema but at home it's a lot better and easier to follow a 2nd time and not really slow at all for mine.

Although Forrest Whitaker was s**t and distracting and the blind guy a tad cheesy.

edit - yes he was obviously a replacement for no Jedi but although the bling guy is a bit much he hardly 'ruins' an otherwise good film

Last edited:
But TWELVE armored soldiers got KILLED by a stick!!! That's the worst scene/fact in cinematic history. Ever. All-time worst thing.

There are a lot of negatives to R1 when you tear it apart.

Compare to TFA....it was a far more enjoyable movie, better pacing, good switches of focus/scenes, never boring. I HATED TFA as a movie per se, and what it added to SW. BUT, it was a far more enjoyable watch. R1 was soooo disjointed and boring in so many parts. It really sucks as a movie. But the last third was very good. And Edwards created an all-time single greatest ever Vader/SW scene (the slaying in the passageway).

But TWELVE armored soldiers got KILLED by a stick!!! That's the worst scene/fact in cinematic history. Ever. All-time worst thing.

There are a lot of negatives to R1 when you tear it apart.

Compare to TFA....it was a far more enjoyable movie, better pacing, good switches of focus/scenes, never boring. I HATED TFA as a movie per se, and what it added to SW. BUT, it was a far more enjoyable watch. R1 was soooo disjointed and boring in so many parts. It really sucks as a movie. But the last third was very good. And Edwards created an all-time single greatest ever Vader/SW scene (the slaying in the passageway).
Didn't you actually manage to sit though those god forsaken prequels recently??? Now they are BORING and BAD films.

I can easily understand someone calling this pretty overrated or just average or something but bad?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched the movie a second time (first since the cinema) and found it to be nothing more than OK. Simlarly to gg.exe I just didn't find the first two thirds of the movie engaging at all which is a huge criticism for me given my love for the original trilogy, TFA, the expanded universe novels and many of the video games. Too much of the movie is just poorly paced and packed full of unengaging characters I didn't give a s**t about.

The final 40 minutes saves the movie and brings it up to a 5.5 or 6 / 10 in my book.

From a purely mechanical and technical standpoint it's hard to fault Rogue One. Fantastic visuals, great action and really good framing and direction. It just fails in all the same ways as Gareth Edwards' Godzilla - boring characters, flat dialogue, average acting and poor pacing.

Also Vader's voice is poop.

Here's a good point I made in a previous post that I didn't emphasize so well....

TFA added next to nothing to the SW universe. But a was more enjoyable watch.
R1 added soooo much to the SW universe. But was very dull to watch (bar the last third).

Edwards created so much new stuff, great new worlds, etc, and there were so many cool easter eggs, and i reckon the surprise of Tarkin and Leia (kept so secret) were fantastic. I applaud Edwards for being more creative as such. Whereas Abrams's worlds were unimaginative. The sets were meh. The few easter eggs meh. There was no great surprises. Everyone knew Han was going to die too. Only Kylo Ren was interesting. Rey was a god-awful invention. Finn and Phasma were awful ideas. Poe too. Snoke would be awesome tho if he was Ezra in the end or Plagueis. Like there really isn't anything that interesting about TFA as such. It was just a good enjoyable viewing.

So....I really like R1 purely for the effort Edwards put in, the many additions and imagination. But as a movie, not likeable. Whereas Abrams was very bland to the SW universe, what he conceived Episode 7 would be - where the story would pick up - was pretty stupid. But the movie was more enjoyable.

I just want a movie (or trilogy) based on the Darth Bane books.

And not kiddied down.

Tell me about it! There's a plethora of fantastic stories to be told in many different eras of the SW universe / legends / EU. It's time to wrap this Skywalker baby up and move on to other trilogies!

I just want a movie (or trilogy) based on the Darth Bane books.

And not kiddied down.

Won't happen. Disney. R1 is the closest we'll get to a non-kiddied movies.

Lucas didn't make them intending for that but it just happened. Disney are most definitely aiming for mass appeal however.

Sent from mTalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back