Movie Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - Spoilers and Rumors

Remove this Banner Ad

That's not saying much. Return of the Jedi is on the edge of being bad, prequel trilogy was dogshit, The Force Awakens is a repeat of the first movie.

Ok?

It's saying that nothing since then has been better except for R1, and that's encompassing 5 other movies.

The flaws creep in on the rewatch. Things that are illogical or inconsistent with the world building of the original trilogy. And thin characters.
Are ANH and ESB flawless on repeat viewing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They're like, diametrically opposed in their construction, I just find that so weird.
If I want an action-packed, self contained film, it's R1. If I'm after something a little deeper and more meaningful, it's TLJ.

I think they have made three great films (ANH, ESB, TLJ), a very good film (R1) and a mix of decent flicks (TFA,ROTJ, Solo).

I didn't say they are flawless.

Right.. so when I said R1 was the best since them and you said it was flawed, you were just stating that for no reason? Seemed to me you were stating it to mark it down against ANH/ESB.

Does any other franchise that wasn't pre-planned have movies that are better than the first few?

Indiana Jones and the las crusade was the best of its series.
Avengers infinity war is easily it’s best.
Back to the future 3.
Harry Potter 3 and the second last one were its best.

I’m sure there are others

Back to the future 3.

What do you reckon "pre-planned" means? :p

Back to the Future 3 was average compared to the first and second.

Avengers was planned out.

Harry Potter was a book series..

Rocky Balboa and Creed would give Rocky II a go.
Die Hard 3

I'd say exceptions rather than the rule. Most franchises go downhill after the first few. Some that receive reboots or are re-imagined do pick up again though.

Back to the future 3.

Questionable if Crusade is better than Raiders, but not outrageous. However, Back to the future 3 is easily the weakest, Infinity War ain't better than Civil War or Winter Soldier.

Rocky Balboa and Creed are both pretty tired remakes.

We're missing the obvious... Fast 5, 6 and 7 :p

What do you reckon "pre-planned" means? :p

Back to the Future 3 was average compared to the first and second.

Avengers was planned out.

Harry Potter was a book series..
Oh please do you honestly think they write the third movie when they do the first. They may want to do lots of movies but they make it up as they go along. There is no long story written out at the beginning over multiple movies. When the begin the Avengers they had no idea what the story would be for Avengers 3. Just that they wanted to do one. Likewise for Indiana Jones.

And Back to the Future III has by far the best plot. One was a very simple story and two wasn’t really a complete movie.

Thor Ragnorak was another you can add to the list and they had no idea there would be 3 when they did the first let alone what the story would be.

Rocky 3 is possibly another although I’m partial to 2.

Toy story 3.

Fast and Furious 5

Order best to worst...and I could change my mind upon another viewing of any of them:
2008 1-Empire - you know, I don't recall anyone anywhere ever throughout world history saying that Empire isn't the best of the entire series...even Nazism has supporters on both sides...good old Godwin shines through yet again...
2014 2-Star Wars - it could have been lower, but it gets points for being the first and capable of standing alone without sequels...
1988 3-Solo - Save of the century...
1983 4-The Force Awakens - The first line of the movie is "this will make things right". It did...
1989 5-Revenge Of The Sith - another save, because the prequels had dug themselves into a decent sized hole...4 and 5 could be interchangeable...
1986 6-Rogue 1 - it had flaws and a huge dead spot...might have near bottomed if not for the awesome battle ending...
1991 7-The Last Jedi - I liked it, but it didn't have the punch of the others above...
2015 8-Clones - also had a dead spot, and some of the most cringeworthy acting in the entire series...
F1-4 9-The Phantom Menace - in hindsight, it falls away when viewed against what came after it and in series context...a weird anomaly, because I thoroughly enjoyed it 4 times at the cinema in 1999, and it has two great sequences in the pod race and the best lightsabre battle of the lot with Maul...
2013 10-Return Of The Jedi - a bit like the Spiderman trilogy, where a solid effort and story with Doc Ock was followed by too much diversity in the story and an unsatisfying ending in the third movie. Said it before, it also set up some dumb precedents...

Having said all that, ranking the entire SW saga for me is like ranking the Hawk premierships, which is what the years above are - I'll happily sit through ROTJ anytime even though I rate it alongside the GF win over Freo which was still obviously a great day despite the unimpressiveness of the game…! SW is the 2014 win over Sydney, just great, but the 2008 win over the Cats is my Empire Strikes Back...! Have seen 9 flags live on tv, so flags 1-4 which I didn't are lumped together as a 10th group to match the number of movies.

The SW Holiday Special = all the GF losses...!

Oh please do you honestly think they write the third movie when they do the first. They may want to do lots of movies but they make it up as they go along. There is no long story written out at the beginning over multiple movies. When the begin the Avengers they had no idea what the story would be for Avengers 3. Just that they wanted to do one. Likewise for Indiana Jones.

And Back to the Future III has by far the best plot. One was a very simple story and two wasn’t really a complete movie.

Thor Ragnorak was another you can add to the list and they had no idea there would be 3 when they did the first let alone what the story would be.

Rocky 3 is possibly another although I’m partial to 2.

Toy story 3.

Fast and Furious 5
Thor ragnorak is adopted from comics. All three back to the futures are the same basic plot. Have you never watched them back to back?

You're being far too precious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back