Movie Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - Spoilers and Rumors

Remove this Banner Ad

Sequels are at a disadvantage because your heroes are supposed to land from their character arc at the end of the movie as better people having solved that part of their personality which luckily was reflected in the plot.

They've started as a relatable flawed person with an extraordinary circumstance thrust upon them which has allowed them to learn new qualities about themselves and develop into the person they would have rather been, the audience sees themselves in the hero and gets the warm and fuzzies because they could picture themselves doing the same and becoming the person they too want to be.

Then the sequel has to either have the hero grown beyond the audience's ability to relate as an everyday person or succumbed to flaws again, devaluing the previous journey they took together and nobody wants to feel like their wins are fleeting.

GrimyLikableEarwig-size_restricted.gif

Y'all crazy. WTF is going on in here.

More so it's unquestionably better than part two.

Fun fact: Die Hard 3 was originally written as Lethal Weapon 4.

Sent from mTalk

Side note - are there any movie franchises at all that didn't go to s**t after 2 or 3?

I seriously can't think of one. Marvel I guess? Although not quite the same beast as a numbered series.
X-Men? Number 3 and the Wolverines Origin movie were s**t, First Class and Days of Future Past then were very good, Apocalypse was pretty s**t and Logan was superb.

More so it's unquestionably better than part two.

Fun fact: Die Hard 3 was originally written as Lethal Weapon 4.

Sent from mTalk
The call them dolled up instalments, where they take an existing script, change the characters names and fit them into a franchise.

Die Hard 2 is an adaptation of a novel by Walter Wager called 58 Minutes, Die Hard with a Vengeance was based on an original screenplay titled Simon Says (it was also considered for use as Lethal Weapon 4), Live Free or Die Hard was based on a combination of a magazine article titled A Farewell to Arms and an original screenplay titled WW3.com and A Good Day to Die Hard is about the closest there's been to a Die Hard film actually beginning life as a Die Hard film but even so, the screenplay was a rejected one for the 4th film. Speed 2 was considered for Die Hard and Under Siege was originally going to be Speed 2. Oceans 12 started out as a standalone heist flick. There's heaps more.

X-Men? Number 3 and the Wolverines Origin movie were s**t, First Class and Days of Future Past then were very good, Apocalypse was pretty s**t and Logan was superb.

I reckon 2 s**t movies would qualify for "turning to s**t", despite a bounce back years later.

It's actually really weird now that I think about it, surely there has to be a series where every movie is at least 'good'. Buggered if I can think of one though.

The call them dolled up instalments, where they take an existing script, change the characters names and fit them into a franchise.

Die Hard 2 is an adaptation of a novel by Walter Wager called 58 Minutes, Die Hard with a Vengeance was based on an original screenplay titled Simon Says (it was also considered for use as Lethal Weapon 4), Live Free or Die Hard was based on a combination of a magazine article titled A Farewell to Arms and an original screenplay titled WW3.com and A Good Day to Die Hard is about the closest there's been to a Die Hard film actually beginning life as a Die Hard film but even so, the screenplay was a rejected one for the 4th film. Speed 2 was considered for Die Hard and Under Siege was originally going to be Speed 2. Oceans 12 started out as a standalone heist flick. There's heaps more.

According to Cracked.com

This movie originally had nothing to do with the original Under Siege. It was a script called Dark Territory about bad guys that have to hijack a train to do bad stuff. It has nothing to do with the Navy. It has nothing to do with the previous movie. Basically, Steven Seagal auditioned for the part and got it, so the producers figured they might as well give his character the same name as in Under Siege and call it a sequel.

What's especially odd is that, around this time, Speed was in need of a sequel, which meant it needed a script about a fast-moving vehicle, explosions and terrorists. Dark Territory would have fit, but it was turned into a sequel to Under Siege instead. This left Speed 2 in need of a script, so they used what was originally supposed to be the script for the third Die Hard movie, about a boat being hijacked. This obviously left Die Hard 3 in need of a script, so they gave Bruce Willis a sassy black partner and used the script that was originally going to be the fourth Lethal Weapon movie. This obviously left Lethal Weapon 4 without a script, but apparently they went ahead and shot that movie without one.

It COULD have worked if we seen more of the Rebel force, but it was literally just the ewoks + Han, Leia, Chewie.
Yeah and blatantly plagiarizing EP 9 so as to make a quick dollar. Haven't bothered to see the next one, but I guaratee you in 20 years people will cringe with what Disney has done.

I reckon 2 s**t movies would qualify for "turning to s**t", despite a bounce back years later.

It's actually really weird now that I think about it, surely there has to be a series where every movie is at least 'good'. Buggered if I can think of one though.
Planet of the Apes reboot in my book (although if you consider it as a whole franchise Burton bombs it, haven't seen the old ones).

The original die hard is also based on a book.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Last Jedi and Solo weren't that bad, but I stand by my initial call that this is the best Star Wars movie since the original trilogy.
Your first statement is wrong but it was a very good movie.

The 3 things that brought it down were: we knew they would be successful, the stupid blind asian stick weapon man and the terrible Vader costume.

Would have loved to have seen what the movie was like before they re shot it because it was 'too dark'

Your first statement is wrong but it was a very good movie.

The 3 things that brought it down were: we knew they would be successful, the stupid blind asian stick weapon man and the terrible Vader costume.

Would have loved to have seen what the movie was like before they re shot it because it was 'too dark'

We know the Titanic sinks in the movie. Who cares? The story was done well and the acting was good with effective injections of humour Star Wars style.

The blind Asian guy was pretty much a straight up metaphor for believing in the force. Better than the attempted scientific explanation of the force by Lucas in Episode One.

I had no issues with Vader and puzzled that you thought it was a thing that brought down the movie. To each their own I suppose.

We know the Titanic sinks in the movie. Who cares? The story was done well and the acting was good with effective injections of humour Star Wars style.

The blind Asian guy was pretty much a straight up metaphor for believing in the force. Better than the attempted scientific explanation of the force by Lucas in Episode One.

I had no issues with Vader and puzzled that you thought it was a thing that brought down the movie. To each their own I suppose.
They made his neck too fat and pronounced
p4bf5dpjl3p01.jpg

He's the film's one weakness for mine, they made him way too powerful and he's pretty cheesy.

Blind ninja Jedi just needed more backstory to explain how he was so sensitive to the force. I didn't buy the guardian of the temple stuff.

The way the final battle builds and builds is truly tremendous. I love it. What starts as a small covert operation ends as a large scale land and air assault. It also has the best music (or at least, best used) of the new movies, I would easily believe it was made by Lucas and Williams.

He's the film's one weakness for mine, they made him way too powerful and he's pretty cheesy.

I interpreted it as someone who believed in the force and the Jedi even though many believed it was some long-dead hokey religion during the time of R1/EpIV. He represented faith, and of course there were plenty of references to hope in the movie too. Faith and hope imo are central themes in Star Wars.

I don't have a problem with the cheesiness - the biggest laughs from the audience when I watched it is when he exclaimed 'are you kidding? I'm blind!' when they put a bag over his head.

I interpreted it as someone who believed in the force and the Jedi even though many believed it was some long-dead hokey religion during the time of R1/EpIV. He represented faith, and of course there were plenty of references to hope in the movie too. Faith and hope imo are central themes in Star Wars.

I don't have a problem with the cheesiness - the biggest laughs from the audience when I watched it is when he exclaimed 'are you kidding? I'm blind!' when they put a bag over his head.
That was ok but surely almost anything K2SO said or did trumped it?

I was in the bizarre situation of being the only person in the cinema watching it but I couldn't stop laughing for about a minute when he randomly slapped Cassian in the face. "Quiet! And there's a fresh one if you mouth off again."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back