Delisted Rohan Bewick (2010-2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

I do think with the structures we used, our half forwards were usually overlooked. Not just Bewick, but Polka, Ash even Green and Zorko go missing for large periods in matches. They pop up now and then but arent really able to work themselves into the game, or get too involved in getting a lot of ball. Too often the HF line is ignored or caught out of position, and then required to do too much defensive work.

Ill be very interested to see how someone like Bewick goes with a new coach and gameplan.

yep have thought this a few times that HFF in our team over the years was like sitting in the middle of a black hole. The ball goes over your head in both directions and you end up looking like someone watching a game of tennis played 10ft over your head. I think he offers a lot to a team with his long running. Finishing needs to be better. Will certainly be interesting to see his role when he plays.

Inside Football player rating Rnd 2 Brisbane Lions Vs Geelong,

Sub. Nearly took mark of the century. Kicked one goal from four disposals. 1/10 – Ben Casanella - Inside Football April 3, 2014

was it only last week in the reserves his match report stated (someting to the effect of) that he "needed to get involved more". Well he certainly achieved that! He got caught on his wrong foot a few times and made some mistakes, but I cerainly can't fault his endevor. He had a career best game.

Had one beautiful kick into fifty that he drilled low in font of Brown's lead. We have been dying for someone to do that this season, and I really did not guess it would be Bewick. Even if he can't immediately replicate that sort of game, it's exciting that he has the potential to.

There a lot of positivity here, which is good so I might just bring it back a little. He put himself about and got plenty of the ball, and did some nice things. But he did butcher it a bit. I haven't seen stats but I thought his efficiency would be fairly low. And is there a more one-footed player in the league?

Don't get me wrong, I Iike Berwick and think he can be a handy player for us. I just thought the panel was just getting a bit carried away on stats after the game.

There a lot of positivity here, which is good so I might just bring it back a little. He put himself about and got plenty of the ball, and did some nice things. But he did butcher it a bit. I haven't seen stats but I thought his efficiency would be fairly low. And is there a more one-footed player in the league?

Don't get me wrong, I Iike Berwick and think he can be a handy player for us. I just thought the panel was just getting a bit carried away on stats after the game.
I actually only remember one time he really butchered it going forward, when he bombed it into our 50 to a 2 on 1. He did get caught on his right a few times but seemed to always handball it just in time IIRC.

Had one beautiful kick into fifty that he drilled low in font of Brown's lead. We have been dying for someone to do that this season, and I really did not guess it would be Bewick. Even if he can't immediately replicate that sort of game, it's exciting that he has the potential to.
Boonji did that in the ressies on Sat arvo and it highlighted how sorely we've lacked that I50 finesse.

Wasn't it Bewick who also set up one of Reddo's goals, kicking it from the boundry centering to about 40m out in front. He has always had a neat kick on him, consistency is the issue that stops him from being really damaging. For all the mistakes he made, i'd take them every game if it meant getting that kind of output from him.

Wasn't it Bewick who also set up one of Reddo's goals, kicking it from the boundry centering to about 40m out in front. He has always had a neat kick on him, consistency is the issue that stops him from being really damaging. For all the mistakes he made, i'd take them every game if it meant getting that kind of output from him.

That's right I think, though from memory it was a pretty risky option and Reddo was outnumbered. It's one of those things that, had it not worked, I'd have worried about the decision making. Without a doubt though, his delivery in and around 50 was sharp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was getting a ridiculous amount of space from his opponent so you'd hope his disposal would be good.

Can't remember the last time we had a fringe player stand up to smash out a game like Bewick did on Saturday.

He's set the bar and now we all know what he's capable of. Hope he can cement his spot for the rest of the season and beyond. Still only 24 :footy:

Is Bewick contracted for next year? I reckon he's skating on thin ice ATM.

Is Bewick contracted for next year? I reckon he's skating on thin ice ATM.

Is there a bigger tease on our list?

Said to whatboutbob before the GWS game last week that I feared Bewick would completely fail to front up after his BOG vs the Bulldogs. I wasn't wrong. An absolute tease. All the frustrating inconsistency of a Jared Brennan but with a lower ceiling.

Think he suffers when we fail to win our fair share of the ball. I think he is a more finishing type. Whilst he can find his own ball, he is best used when someone else gets it and dishes it off to him. Last 2 weeks we have been smashed on the inside.

Five talking points: Brisbane Lions v North Melbourne

Bewick does a job on Boomer
In a mark of growing respect for rejuvenated Rohan Bewick, the West Australian was given the task of minding North champ Brent Harvey. It was a fairly loose check over much of the ground, but as soon as Harvey came forward of centre, Bewick picked him up. Not only did he keep the 36-year-old quiet for most of the night – he had 23 disposals, but just one goal and not much influence in the forward 50 – he also got plenty of ball himself. Bewick was recalled a month ago against the Western Bulldogs where he had a career-high 30 disposals, and after another 24 here, looks to have found a home on the wing.

Do wish Rohan was better on his non preferred though. Tends to have to track around at times and it has caused issues.
True, although not the only player in the league with that problem. Either needs to develop a right or be smarter in swinging on to his left.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back