Rohan hit on Neale

Feb 7, 2009
lost somewhere in time
AFL Club
Geelong
Some interesting comments in this thread.

Rohan clearly hits Neale across the shoulder/neck and then the jaw (you can actually see the jaw pop up towards the end of the strike).

Pretty lucky to only get 2 weeks.

The accusations of staging against Neale are embarrassing.
Funny thing is 2 blokes threw an elbow back hitting the jaw of a player with about the same if not more force last week and they were just fines.

Aug 15, 2015
The cockeyed lowlife of the (Southern) Highlands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Couple of unrelated points

* Retaliation shouldn't be a defense but geez it gives me the irrits when the instigator does something reportable, as Neale did, but it doesn't get looked at because they're a protected species and the other guy hit back
* People whine and whinge (inaccurately) about Geelong getting a cushy run with the umpires but there is no dispute that we've had a horror run at the MRP and tribunal going back over a decade now
* If Michael Christian is going to tell porkies about where the impact actually occurred (it's clear from the video it wasn't high) then it should be challenged on principle even if you think a round-arm body hit should get a similar number of weeks

You've had a "horror run" at the MRP and tribunal as your players are dirty sniping flogs

Really_

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
1. need to punish neale for the instigation of the incident
2. for staging to get a player suspended, as he was more worried about getting rohan suspended than his health

is bf full of nuff nuffs
as i would like all those supporting to line up, and we can all walk past and punch them

AFL need to cut out all cheap shots, and first punch should be heavily penalised

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
1. need to punish neale for the instigation of the incident
2. for staging to get a player suspended, as he was more worried about getting rohan suspended than his health

is bf full of nuff nuffs
as i would like all those supporting to line up, and we can all walk past and punch them

AFL need to cut out all cheap shots, and first punch should be heavily penalised

I do love all thr Geelong supporters saying its staging.

Apparently copping a swinging forearm to the neck shouldnt hurt.

I do love all thr Geelong supporters saying its staging.

Apparently copping a swinging forearm to the neck shouldnt hurt.
Barely touched the neck if at all; the ‘impact’ was to the arm and shoulder. It was staging. How else can you explain (a) Neale collapsing like he’d been shot (b) Neale rubbing his jaw and holding up 3 fingers yet NO concussion test and played out the game?

Let’s face it, Neale had a dirty game. He was beaten hands down by O’Connor, an decided to vent his anger by sniping and staging

Generalissimo

His Excellency
Jul 14, 2002
Somewhere
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Mighty Cats
You've had a "horror run" at the MRP and tribunal as your players are dirty sniping flogs

Nope, it's because we're always the retaliator in these incidents, rarely the instigator, which is why we keep getting done.

That, and every time the AFL wants to crack down on some new thing they always pick a Geelong player to make an example of. It's usually Hawkins.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Barely touched the neck if at all; the ‘impact’ was to the arm and shoulder. It was staging. How else can you explain (a) Neale collapsing like he’d been shot (b) Neale rubbing his jaw and holding up 3 fingers yet NO concussion test and played out the game?

Let’s face it, Neale had a dirty game. He was beaten hands down by O’Connor, an decided to vent his anger by sniping and staging

You think everyone hit high gets concussed ?

You think everyone hit high gets concussed ?
No, but the way he reacted I’d have thought a concussion test would have been warranted. Agree? Or are you acknowledging Neale staged?

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No, but the way he reacted I’d have thought a concussion test would have been warranted. Agree? Or are you acknowledging Neale staged?

Because he held his jaw?

If his jaw was incredibly sore I would think the doctor would check for a broken jaw, not concussion.

But given he didnt go off I assume it was just sore, not incredibly sore.

Shouldnt your bigger concern be why you club's players keep hitting late or taking swings ?

Oct 16, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Im hoping a Geelong player gets suspended every week, just for the outrage from Geelong fans. It’s all injustice to them.

It’s hilarious.

Brushes the shoulder, puts most of his forearm force into the neck of Neale when 50 metres off the ball and they wonder why he gets a couple of weeks. Hilarious.

Thedeftouch

Club Legend
May 5, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

No.

Neale was struck on the jaw and got straight back up with no obvious concussive symptoms.

There was no reason to suspect he suffered a concussion (which is the threshold for removing a player for the field to undergo a concussion test).

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
A lot of people complain (I tend to agree) that too much focus is placed on consequence and not on intent when giving out punishments.

e.g P Dangerfield last week - a reasonable severe punishment even though there was no malice. Paddy copped 3 weeks because the guy got hurt.

This one is a rare case where the intention was pretty bad - it was a kind of aggressive hit. It may not have got him high or hurt him, but it could have, and there was just no need for the action (whereas Dangerfield could argue a case for his action).

Two weeks seems about right - perhaps it could have been one, I dunno. But good to see the intent is being looked at for a change.

royboys4eva

Premiership Player
Nov 27, 2006
Melbourne - once Darwin.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Fancy trying to make it about Neale. He was getting whacked off the ball all night. Rohan get's one and retaliates by trying to whack Neale so hard his forearm whiplashed Neale's neck severely. For game that's trying to clean up cheap shots Rohan is lucky he didn't get more. Go watch the replay of the Geelong - Lions game at the SCG last year. Rohan was out of control sniping and cleaning up blokes how he didn't get suspended then was a mystery.

Maybe if he concentrated on the ball more he might average more than three kicks a game.

Funny how all the Geelong supporters whinging about Neale starting it are also incredibly quiet over Higgins clocking Charlie Cameron in the gut first, but only Cameron got a fine from retaliating. Food for thought.

Nope, it's because we're always the retaliator in these incidents, rarely the instigator, which is why we keep getting done.

That, and every time the AFL wants to crack down on some new thing they always pick a Geelong player to make an example of. It's usually Hawkins.
He is usually instigating though.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Neale gives Grohan a bit of a shove in the upper chest.,

Growan responds with a swinging arm to Neale's neck and jaw that drops him to the ground like a sack of spuds

Bad Neale , BAD!!!!

According to Beam Me Up Scotty, he's totally "comfortable" with that from his player 'cos that dirty basket Neale started it.

AFL MRO disagrees with BMUS and gives Grohan two weeks

I'm "comfortable" with that

Back