• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
Will it be #12 for Rafa or the 2nd career slam for Djokovic? Will Thiem or Tsitsipas break through or will someone else surprise? Women's side looks pretty open as usual, liking Bertens for the title.

Qualifying started yesterday and runs through til Friday. Coverage once again on SBS and I'd imagine one of the Fox Sports channels.

https://www.rolandgarros.com/en-us/

danstar

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 2, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Will it be #12 for Rafa or the 2nd career slam for Djokovic? Will Thiem or Tsitsipas break through or will someone else surprise? Women's side looks pretty open as usual, liking Bertens for the title.

Qualifying started yesterday and runs through til Friday. Coverage once again on SBS and I'd imagine one of the Fox Sports channels.

https://www.rolandgarros.com/en-us/
Fox sports is covering it but it's on different channels each night between 503,505,506 and 507 so check the guides

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I feel clay limits the number of women who can win.

Outside of the obvious in Halep and Bertens, I'd still lean to someone like Muguruza hitting top gear over Osaka, Kvitova, Pliskova etc winning on clay.

As per normal for the men.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Men's final round of qualifying is like a Wimbledon upsets anonymous meeting.

Brown d Nadal 2015
Darcis d Nadal 2013
Stakhovsky d Federer 2013
Rosol d Nadal 2012

Tough game though with career high rankings of some of the players left.

Troicki - 12
Garcia-Lopez - 23
Rosol - 26
Giraldo - 28
Stakhovsky - 31
Bolelli - 36
Darcis - 38

Then you have an up and coming guy like Davidovich Fokina.

No doubt the ones that get through would have their fingers crossed to draw an Aussie R1!

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Draws out.

Djokovic and Thiem in the top half. Nadal and Federer (Tsitsipas) in the bottom half.

For the Aussies

Tomic v Fritz - R1 cheque for Bernie
Kyrgios v Norrie - Good R1 draw. If he wasn't already checked out he could win a few matches. Norrie > Lajovic > A.Zverev > Fognini > Djokovic. Draw escalates quickly but Zverev has battled this year and while Fognini can play well on clay he isn't a bad match up for Nick if Nick was serving lights out. Dummy spit against Lajovic in R2 probable.
Millman v A.Zverev - Zverev has battled but not enough for Millman to beat him on clay, surely
Ebden v Barrere - Every French wild cards dream draw
Auger-Aliassime v Thompson - R1 cheque for Jordan
Popyrin v Humbert - Not overly familiar with Humbert other than being a French challenger level player. Chance.
AdM v Klahn - Good R1 draw v. injury plagued American. R2 v Carreno Busta would most likely be too much on current form and then Medvedev in R3 if he somehow beat PCB.

Hon v Qualifier - I'm sure she would take that but the qualifier likely pretty happy with that also
Barty v Pegula - Not really sure if actually injured or not. If not great draw to make the quarters. Collins in R2 a banana peel but Hsieh is the seed for R3 and no good on clay. Serena and Andreescu potential R4 but both definitely more injured than Barty and super doubtful bodies would get that far.
Tomljanovic v Halep - Free hit for Alja I guess and someone you wouldn't completely write off as an upset
Gavrilova v Krunic - Not the worst draw. 50/50 sort of deal I guess. Tsurenko likely R2 who is similar player to Dasha. R3 v Halep
Stosur v Strycova - Strycova would be fave but she mixes her form like Sam so you never know
Sharma v Rogers - Chance

So overall I think I would set the line at 4 Aussies through to R2.

BobbyMorri AKS v. Osaka in R1. Then the winner of Azarenka v. Ostapenko :p

Last edited:
Glad Alex got a good draw, even if his form has been awful.

Kyrgios will loss to Norrie, too much of a grinder and likes the clay. Just wondering how much of a tantrum Nick will pull.

Ebden getting a wildcard is just lol.

Was Ash's injury serious? I just took as it a precautionary a week out from a slam?

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Ebden getting a wildcard is just lol.

Was Ash's injury serious? I just took as it a precautionary a week out from a slam?

Popyrin got the TA wildcard, Ebden direct entry, he is playing one of the French wild cards so I meant it was the French players dream to draw Ebden.

I think the same about Ash's injury in that she signed up to the tournament just in case weeks ago and then just pulled out because she has played enough matches. Mixed messages from the media on it though and not sure if it is because the media don't understand players always do that or whether she is actually injured.

Popyrin got the TA wildcard, Ebden direct entry, he is playing one of the French wild cards so I meant it was the French players dream to draw Ebden.

I think the same about Ash's injury in that she signed up to the tournament just in case weeks ago and then just pulled out because she has played enough matches. Mixed messages from the media on it though and not sure if it is because the media don't understand players always do that or whether she is actually injured.

I know, just that it's funny that he got the wildcard in the draw. Might of been the only player in the draw Ebden has a chance of beating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is one weak individual, he would of lost anyway to Norrie anyway.

Day 1 OOP is out. Federer and Tsitispas are the headlines. Popryin only Aussie and is first up on court 14.

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
The most likely scenario is that he simply doesn’t want to play. A more far fetched idea is that he is serving a silent ban from his antics in Rome.

Yeah, agreed. Even if he is sick one would assume it's just a virus and would only last a few days so by the time he has to play he would probably on the mend and just battle through like most players do. Then again, he is not like most players.

Edit: Now they are saying on the radio it's illness, and I quote (imagine serious newsreader voice) "Nick Kyrgios has pulled out of the French Open with illness just days after saying the tournament sucks". He's the gift that just keeps giving :tearsofjoy:

Last edited:

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
cant wait for this tournament to start so we can stop talking about the knobjockey that is kyrgios. Seriously go dig a hole and dont come back
Speaking of the actual tournament, Nadal faces only qualifiers on his way to the 3rd round. Djokovic has Coric in the 3rd round and Zverev in the quarters which is a nice little challenge.

Back