Autopsy Rolled over to Freo after leading by 41 at qtr time, what's wrong @ the kennel?

Remove this Banner Ad

We're a shitty, poor little minnow club in a city that already has three clubs too many. We fluked a flag in 2016 with the help of the umpires which made us temporarily forget what we really are. Time to go back to being honest battlers who are never quite good enough but at least try our guts out.

That's ******* insane.
and the trauma of the GF is relived over and over when you dont address it,

a big mistake not reviewing it that cost us this year,

Bevo hinted at whether that trauma effected us in the pressor, he thought better of saying it, but his body language said he thought it had,

he also said the players kicked too many accross/ centrally inside 50 and Freo swept it away easily.

I'm sick of the cop out Beveridge gets in the media that he's doing the best with the list he's got.

He's been here for nearly a decade. This is his list.

He has a major overreach in recruitment and drafting.

There's no doubt in my mind that the only way forward for us is that we need some sort of rebuild. Holes all over the ground.

I hope this is the straw that breaks the club's back and there are major changes on and off the field made.
8 years to build a squad and you choose Gardy as your key back, no disrespect to Gardy but gee wiz

Tim English not standing the mark led to the 50 VDM gave away. Why did English not stand the mark? was it solely a mistake on his behalf or were our players instructed to not stand the mark? Because based on what we saw throughout the year I believe its the latter and that alone is why we need a new coach. It's just inexplicable that we would back off the mark in an elimination final when someone is having a shot for goal from that distance. I don't understand.
not standing the mark from 45-60 m out is the dumbest tactic ive ever seen in footy

yeh agree Bevo's presser wasn't satisfying, and putting emphasis on the forwards, perhaps publicly bit his lip about other areas and seething behind closed doors

tough to single out players as the repetitive issue of quick fire goals against us exposes a 'system', but helps release the steam :

VDM, if he wasn't contracted for another year we wouldn't renew...no impact, lacked awareness, 22 metres gained is pathetic

we love the astronaut but his performance is becoming hit and miss, and worries more about his headband than focusing

of the good, though it matters sh&t now : the Bont's first half back to his best, and Dunkley's tackling and vital goal, would be a big loss if he went

8 years to build a squad and you choose Gardy as your key back, no disrespect to Gardy but gee wiz

Throw in names like Gowers, Schache, VDM, McComb, Hannan, Martin, Obrien, McNeil etc and that’s what the list has been “enhanced” with.

Other than Bont there is no generational talent in their prime atm.

We have no KPP who are in their prime who could be described as ‘generational talent’. Naughton is a great talent and Darcy and JUH could be in the years to come.

Who else is a once is a generational talent other than Bont ?

We simply do not have the talent some think we have.

Yes we should have done better this year but this idea that we are pissing premierships or even top four finishes up against the wall is just ridiculous.

I agree, we should have no less than 6 ‘once in a generation’ players on our list.

Yeah, but who takes Cornes seriously?

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
True, the media has given us a total pass this year. We deserve the blowtorch treatment. In the past I have been totally behind Bevo and the club when we were unfairly attacked by gutter journalists but I hope everyone piles on.

Unfortunately I think we will sneak into the off season without much criticism.

We can’t really afford to think like that though, otherwise we’ll be right back down the bottom.

Sometimes two things can be true at the same time depending how you want to look at it:

2 x Grand Finals with 1 premiership. Obviously fantastic. But when you look at the flip side:
Never made top 4

In our Grand Final loss, we gave up a 8 point HT lead and a 19 point lead half way through the 3rd, to go on and suffer the worst second half GF deficit, ever

2-4 record in elimination finals. In 3 of those 4, we went in as favourites.

Of the 4th elimination loss, last night, we gave up a 41 point lead where we would have been $1.07 in live betting.

We have lost so many best 22 players under his watch, a lot due to him mismanaging them, and we are about to likely loss 2 more in JJ and Dunks (these two aren’t due to Bevo although you could argue rucking Dunks didn’t help).

While I’m extremely disappointed in some of the players last night (Naughton and English failed in finals, again and Baz was shocking), the above is enough body of work for me to suggest we need to move on from Bevo. He’s stabilised us, which I’m grateful for, but there is now a significant amount of evidence that he gets outcoached more often than not in big games.

Yep, things fell into place in 2016 for a month and we pulled off a miracle. Apart from that, we've failed and the mismanagement is at the point now where change has to be made.

Expectations have changed we're not in the 80s and 90s now and what's more we can afford to fail. We're not a Collingwood or a Richmond, we fail, we fall further behind the big clubs and then we're screwed.

Tim English not standing the mark led to the 50 VDM gave away. Why did English not stand the mark? was it solely a mistake on his behalf or were our players instructed to not stand the mark? Because based on what we saw throughout the year I believe its the latter and that alone is why we need a new coach. It's just inexplicable that we would back off the mark in an elimination final when someone is having a shot for goal from that distance. I don't understand.

I reckon he wanted to get to the line in case the set shot fell short but it was too late.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its all about poor ball movement starting from the stoppages and back half. We dont have enough players who are willing to run in support, take on tacklers and get the ball moving forward at speed. From defence or from the midfield.

Moving the ball directly and with speed deep into our forward line will give the forwards a better chance, and the opposition cant score when the ball is down there.

Our shuffle-back zone, win the ball, kick around the boundary style of play is what is holding us back.

Collingwood last year. Look what happened with a new coach, outlook and an actual gameplan. That's what annoys me. I feel sad for Bont. One hand tied behind his back.

I wonder if Bont sits around dreaming about what his career would be like if his prime wasn't wasted by having him have to guess where the opposition ruck is hitting every ball because the club refuses to provide him with a guy who can get it to his advantage.

I agree he’s being let down by the club, as are many of his teammates.

However, he’s the captain so if he thinks that he should be saying so loudly to his coach and list manager. He should also be demanding much better defensive effort and focus from his midfield and forward group, and for his defenders to use their ******* brains and not spoil each other virtually every time the ball comes in, all of which gift runs of goals to the opposition

Leadership lies there too. I would hope he lays it all on the line in his end of season meeting with the coach.

I reckon he wanted to get to the line in case the set shot fell short but it was too late.

So he was going to leave a guy fifty metres out without anyone on the mark in an attempt to get back to the line in case his kick fell short. If that's what happened Tim needs to rethink his career path.

we love the astronaut but his performance is becoming hit and miss, and worries more about his headband than focusing
This. I have watched this every match. It is a hugely increasing problem for him.

I hope a coach cuts some footage and shows him that how much it is impacting him, subconsciously. Shave it off, it’s not like he’s Samson

I don’t blame Bevo alone, I blame the club for not seeing that we needed a robust coaching panel with numerous senior voices to challenge him. The lack of leadership, culture and heart is also a broader list management problem too. We let all of our senior leaders and players with character go and never replaced them. So vanilla now. Bunch of very nice footballers.

The only worry is that Bevo was the one against additional coaching appointments and leading our list management.
Yeah I’m sure senior coaches love being argued with and overruled by a committee. Might as well just have a committee. And we all know what happens then.

He had three quarters to stop it and didn't go close. You are very much in the minority being an uncritical supporter of Bevo. We shouldn't sack Bevo but a contract extension must not be a sure thing. The cheerleading from a minority is a bit bizarre.
See, comments like this, and from a mod, are too frequent on this forum. The other two sentences were all that were needed. Don’t be surprised if others play the man.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back