Analysis Rolling 22 under 22 side

Remove this Banner Ad

Caleb Serong.

• Banned
Is there a ruckman who qualifies?

Probably ends up being someone like Luke Jackson even if he doesn't spend much time in the ruck.

Sydney looking at probably 5 players in this hypothetical team right now - Campbell, Gulden, McDonald, Wicks and Warner.

Butters would be in the side too.

I'll nominate Stephenson but probably deserves to be benched at best. No one else is in the convo IMO for North.

Last edited:
My first crack (stuck Butters in the forward pocket, so I could fit Anderson in the guts)

B: Ridley, T. McCartin, Quaynor
HB: H. Clark, B. Cox, Cerra
C: B. Smith, A. Brayshaw (Freo), Daicos
FO: L. Jackson, Walsh, N. Anderson
HF: Gulden, O. Allen, Wicks
F: K. Pickett, Naughton, Butters
INT: Serong, Warner, Balta, Parfitt

EMG: Z. Bailey, Jordon, Drew B. King

Apologies for any I've forgotten

EDIT: Didn't realize 22 year old's could be included, so included Allen, Ridley, Parfitt, B. Cox, Drew and Daicos, and omitted Sholl, B. King, Ash, Bailey, Jordon and B. Campbell (moved Jordon, B. King and Z. Bailey to emergencies, with Drew being added to emergencies from the 22 yr olds). Perryman, B. Campbell (Syd), Sholl, Ash, L. McDonald (Syd), Jiath, J. Clark and M. King - after a slow start to the year - right on the cusp). Anyone with injuries or who has only played 1 game thus far, not included.

RECENT EDIT: Allen still young enough, didn't realize - is absolutely an automatic inclusion. King to emergencies, Perryman to pushing for selection

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll nominate Stephenson but probably deserves to be benched. No one else is in the convo IMO for North.
Too old, and probably wouldn't have done enough anyway, as he's only had one good game thus far

Too old, and probably wouldn't have done enough anyway, as he's only had one good game thus far
I think you can get in at 22 and yeah, looking at the team you posted, he wouldn't beat any of the players you listed with his season so far

Jacob Weitering who turned 22 before the 2020 season started was in there.

Nah you were right, I just read the guidelines of the thread - my bad :)

Deleted my post accordingly, haha

EDIT: Now I have to find a way to include Ridley, Perryman, Parfitt and Daicos, who all should definitely be in there

Noah Balta a lock for this side.

Ridley probably the biggest lock around for this side.

Draper misses out on eligibility by 2 days. McGrath also a couple of months too old.

Our next in line after that is probably Caldwell.

I’m backing Hayden Young to crack this team by season end.

AFL news 2021, AFL trades, AFL trade whispers, Oscar Allen, West Coast Eagles, AFL contracts (foxsports.com.au)

AFL rivals line up to poach West Coast Eagles forward Oscar Allen on deals worth up to $850,000 per year
AFL rivals line up to poach West Coast Eagles forward Oscar Allen on deals worth up to $850,000 per year | The West Australian

You would be as silly as the selectors of the 2020 side to leave him out of consideration.

It’s a good team if Zac Bailey can’t crack a spot.

I’d have him in the team ahead of, for example, Gulden or Warner or Wicks. Sure, they are all flavour of the month right now but they have 3,5 and (about) 10 games under their belts. Bailey has a much more substantial body of work to press his claim.

As a general rule, I reckon players in their first (or nearly first) year of footy have to be exceptional to win a spot in a team with players who are established AFL players, many of them established top-line players.

It’s a good team if Zac Bailey can’t crack a spot.

I’d have him in the team ahead of, for example, Gulden or Warner or Wicks. Sure, they are all flavour of the month right now but they have 3,5 and (about) 10 games under their belts. Bailey has a much more substantial body of work to press his claim.

As a general rule, I reckon players in their first (or nearly first) year of footy have to be exceptional to win a spot in a team with players who are established AFL players, many of them established top-line players.
It is only based on this year though, so they have the same body of work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back