Rolling All Australian Team 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s a reasonable call. But what you gain in mobility you loose in, at times, shoddy disposal with those two.
Perhaps a bit of a fallacy.

Moore's DE is ahead of both May and Weitering, the latter is 151 and he's also behind in the league, and he's also behind Maynard. Moore is ranked #45. Remember Moore kicks with a flat trajectory too.

Maynard May Sheppard
Daniel Moore Ridley
Menegola Boak(c) Duncan
Martin Bontempelli Petracca
Papley Hawkins(vc) Dixon
Naitanui Neale Steele
Lu Ryan Adams Dangerfield Li Ryan

I can't believe it's not Butters, NFI All Australian Team.

B: Jake Lloyd, Steven May, Luke McDonald
HB: Nick Vlastuin, Nick Haynes, Luke Ryan
C: Andrew Gaff, Jackson Macrae, Lachie Whitfield
HF: Christian Petracca, Jack Gunston, Charlie Cameron
F: Daniel Butler, Tom Hawkins, Charlie Dixon

Foll: Brodie Grundy, Travis Boak, Lachie Neale

I/C: Clayton Oliver, Patrick Dangerfield, Marcus Bontempelli, Zach Merrett.

Vlastuin an interesting one imo. He is 188cm and not a penetrating runner nor a true hybrid height player who can play on keys. He is a fantastic player who would walk into any AFL team, but to make my AA team this year he is just a bit too short for his pace and too slow for his height.

I'd include him from the games I watched, he was dominating with the intercept mark. Body dimensions are irrelevant.

McGovern drives straight from the all you can eat buffet to the field but will outmark anyone with the more expected body shape for a contested marking beast.

I personally disagree specifically with Gaff. He is a seagull like Jake Lloyd. He does nothing with his possessions and he doesn't break the lines at all. He is also weak defensively. I think he is just in an era that rewards players with a lot of stats. I mean how many times in a match does he get the ball in the back flank and kick it 15 sideways.

First half of the season I'd agree
Second half - i'd disagree.

A bit like 2018 - he was dominant with quality impact
2019 - he accumulated possessions without much damage.

I personally disagree specifically with Gaff. He is a seagull like Jake Lloyd. He does nothing with his possessions and he doesn't break the lines at all. He is also weak defensively. I think he is just in an era that rewards players with a lot of stats. I mean how many times in a match does he get the ball in the back flank and kick it 15 sideways.
[/QUOTE

A seagull? If you watch his games lately he has been playing in the guts getting the hardball and dish it out while still running his 13-14kms a game.

Perhaps a bit of a fallacy.

Moore's DE is ahead of both May and Weitering, the latter is 151 and he's also behind in the league, and he's also behind Maynard. Moore is ranked #45. Remember Moore kicks with a flat trajectory too.
Collingwood's Defenders DE is always boosted because they play so much chip kick possession in their d50. They switch the ball 500 times a game which is why their scores against are low but their own scores aren't great its a very negative game plan.

Both Moore and Maynard are prone to massive brain farts/biting off more than they can chew.

Disagree - He's a good 1 on 1 defender and excellent intercept mark. Has the odd brain fart moment every now and again though
As noted by the commentators during the last match and often commented upon by teammates, he often leaves his direct opponent alone behind him to use his incredible closing speed to go and help out his teammates and impact on another contest. He occasionally is lazy with his kicking or chooses a target but telegraphs it slightly when it's a shortish option in the corridor so that the opposition can come in and spoil. He is gradually removing this from his game. Maynard has improved a lot in this area but stuffed up badly twice last match which had Pie fans wondering if it was because he was slightly hampered by the bandaged thigh which was corked during the previous match.

Neither appear to be suited to playing up the ground though. Depends if they pick a real or a paper team.
Have you watched Dixon play? He's pretty well Port's chosen kick out target at the corner of the square. He's also the target for the get out of jail dump kick down the line. He spends an incredible amount of time up the ground.

Charlie has pretty well been a lock for AA, because he could be named at Full Forward if he was the leading goal kicker, or he's the best option at centre half forward if he's not the leading goal kicker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disagree - He's a good 1 on 1 defender and excellent intercept mark. Has the odd brain fart moment every now and again though
He’s ok. But just don’t think he’s at the level of AA. does a lot of running around misreading the flight and is late to contest

Did a quick stats comparison rated the players below out of all Key defenders on what saw as relevant stats. Gave them 6 points if lead category against others down to 1 for worst. Reversed for the two stats in orange.

Highest total is the leader

moore comes in behind Andrews, Collins, Weitering and Barrass (who I threw in there) but ahead of May image.jpg

As noted by the commentators during the last match and often commented upon by teammates, he often leaves his direct opponent alone behind him to use his incredible closing speed to go and help out his teammates and impact on another contest. He occasionally is lazy with his kicking or chooses a target but telegraphs it slightly when it's a shortish option in the corridor so that the opposition can come in and spoil. He is gradually removing this from his game. Maynard has improved a lot in this area but stuffed up badly twice last match which had Pie fans wondering if it was because he was slightly hampered by the bandaged thigh which was corked during the previous match.
Moore 'often leaves his direct opponent alone behind him to use his incredible closing speed to go and help out his teammates and impact on another contest.'
Next thing you know he will be accused of playing on nobody.... Alex Rance style.

Moore 'often leaves his direct opponent alone behind him to use his incredible closing speed to go and help out his teammates and impact on another contest.'
Next thing you know he will be accused of playing on nobody.... Alex Rance style.
Ha, what that does say though, is there are a lot of intangibles involved in assessing defenders, forwards, mids or otherwise. Sometimes stats don't tell the full tale of everything.

Alright - debating defenders back and forth is boring.

One of the interesting ones this year has to be the small forwards.

Last 5 years we’ve seen at least 2 in the team..

2015: Betts, Rioli, Winga
2016: Betts, Rioli, Greene
2017: Betts, Gray (Forward/Mid)
2018: Gray (Forward/Mid), Breust
2019: Walters, Cameron

But this year there don’t seem to be any certainties...

Goal totals (barring someone coming out and kicking 8 over the weekend) are roughly the same, likely between 25 and 30 goals at this stage.

Contenders:

Dan Butler
Case For: Much improved, hot when the Saints were performing above expectations with 9 games in a row scoring goals - usually multiples.
Case Against: Has faded with the Saints - could he just be an average player that hit a purple patch?

Tom Papley
Case For: Hot start to the season, led the Coleman, lots of positive press, Sydney’s number 1 option. Clearly a high level player.
Case Against: Patchy form in the back end of the season - has kicked only 5 goals in the last 8 games, including 2 in Round 17

Liam Ryan
Case For: Strong finish to the year, standing up in big games. Improved impact overall.
Case Against: Quiet patch mid season while working through some personal issues. First season performing at this level

Charlie Cameron
Case For: Incumbent, still one of the best around and comparable goal numbers to the other contenders
Case Against: Down on last year so we know he can play better, has had his commitment questioned.

Mitch Wallis
Case For: Reinvented himself as a goal kicking threat with good results.
Case Against: Something of a makeshift/stop gap - has this really been an AA year?

Who gets in?

Could we see only 1 this year? - if so, who?

Just looking at AFL player ratings

He’s behind a fair few as well
View attachment 964328

And yet most on here don't rate Martin's year as AA worthy. People judge him on his 17 year when they should just rate him on his year compared to other mid forwards.

And just to keep harping on about Maynard, he hasn't done enough to be in the AA team. He may be in the squad but there's no way IMO that he should be in the final team. Others have had better seasons and are better defenders.

Firstly, it's a useless statistic.

But, even if you find it worthwhile, Moore's is 81.6% and May's 80.3%. The point being, you wouldn't even bring it up they're so close. Especially, when May gets more of the ball.
It was only raised because the comment was made that Moore and Maynard aren't good disposers of the ball in comparison to Weitering for example who is rated 77% DE. Moore incidentally averages more disposals than the likes of Weitering and Andrews. Of course May would get more of the ball than most defenders because he takes the lion's share of the kick-outs and invariable runs out of the square which equates with another stat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back