Analysis Rolling All-Australian team for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I take Gawn over Nic Nat. Beats Nic Nat in all key stats.

In 2021 Naitanui beats Gawn in HOs to advantage, HOs to advantage percentage, clearances, contested possessions, tackles, score launches, inside 50s and pressure acts and all of them by some margin.
In fact I can't think of a key statistic Gawn wins except for contested marks. Maybe goals, but a difference of 6 goals for the season really shouldn't swing the argument.
Gawn does beat him in convincingly in clangers and turnovers, so I guess there's that.
Your claim is without any merit.

In 2021 Naitanui beats Gawn in HOs to advantage, HOs to advantage percentage, clearances, contested possessions, tackles, score launches, inside 50s and pressure acts and all of them by some margin.
In fact I can't think of a key statistic Gawn wins except for contested marks. Maybe goals, but a difference of 6 goals for the season really shouldn't swing the argument.
Gawn does beat him in convincingly in clangers and turnovers, so I guess there's that.
Gawn is superior in disposal numbers, he takes 4 times the amount of marks, far more contested marks, plenty more marks inside 50, 8 times the amount of goals, 50% more effective disposals, better disposal efficiency, more score involvements, more intercept possessions, etc.

Gawn is a far better all-round ruckman, but yes, Naitanui has some strong skill sets and is a great player. Neutrals can decide who'd they'd prefer.

Hit outs, disposals, goals, marks.

only all the main ones. He wins many of these quite clearly too.

Salty.

Nic Nat and Gawn are different players. Both have massive impact for their clubs and a deserving AA.

the main difference is that Eagles fans in general seem to recognise both are great and deserving whereas a few (not all) demons fans do their best to slag of Nic Nat.

its sad.
Trust me when I say that Dees fans don’t give a s**t about Nic Nat. Isn’t mentioned on our board at all like Grundy, Goldstein or Hickey are.

If Sean Darcy continues his phenomenal season surely he's in line for a potential 40 Man squad inclusion? He's a top ruck in the competition only behind Naitanui and Gawn right now for mine.

He's been awesome but I think he's behind Hickey and Grundy too. Darcy will be AA ruck in a few years though, only 23

He's been awesome but I think he's behind Hickey and Grundy too. Darcy will be AA ruck in a few years though, only 23
Hickey was good the first 6 weeks or so.
But Darcy absolutely monstered him a couple of weeks back.
Grundy has been well off his best and both him and Hickey have already missed a few games each too.
Darcy is likely to win the freo B&F at this stage if he keeps going the way he is and his stats are ahead of pretty much everyone apart from Gawn so I’d say he is a very decent chance for the 40 man squad.

NicNat over Gawn for me. Have a look at the midfield groups each currently have at their disposal. NicNat able to make much more of much less.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Lever May Stewart

HB: Salem Andrews Rich

C. McCluggage Parish Macrae

HF: Bontempelli Walker Bolton

FF: Greene McKay AMT

Fol: Naitanui - Wines - Oliver

Int: Gawn, Petracca, Weitering, Hawkins

Gawn a bit disappointing today against the novice Lynch while Lever and May certainly did not get their own way as they usually do.
Gawn's been getting pantsed by backup ruckmen, rookies and journeymen for years. It's his kryptonite.

Didn't watch the game too closely but I thought that was one of May's better games. Oliver and Trac both as bad as I've seen them this year though.

Oliver and Trac both as bad as I've seen them this year though.

Oliver should have had 3 goals, it wasn't that bad, stat line reads 20 possessions or whatever but if he has 2 or 3 goals and not 1...he's BOG!

Oliver should have had 3 goals, it wasn't that bad, stat line reads 20 possessions or whatever but if he has 2 or 3 goals and not 1...he's BOG!
He was averaging 7.25 tackles over the last 4 games, and had just the one against Collingwood.
Equal lowest # of possessions he's had this year. And his decision making was pretty average, burned a few players and tried to do too much and got caught a few times.

Given how good he's been it was a shocking performance.

Gawn has had a better season YTD than Nic

But Nic has really starting hitting his straps.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him surpass Gawn for lead ruck by the end of the year.

However for all the commentary around Nic - he is again the 2nd* highest ranked non-midfielder in the coaches votes - so strangely the lack of marks don't seem to reduce his importance to the coaches.

* 3rd if you consider Mundy a forward

Point me to where the Eagles supporters (in general) are willing to acknowledge Naitanui’s significant shortcomings. I read more of extreme focus on the few things, and belittling of the other things as unimportant.

Dismissing Nic because he doesn't take loose marks at half back is like bagging Adam Gilchrist for not taking wickets.

His only serious shortcoming is his inability to play more than about 70% - however that's more likely due to the power/bullocking athlete he is

When was the last time an opposition ruck got a coaches vote against him? With all their marking and fitness and the supposed multitude of Naitanui shortcomings - he should be exposed game in game out ... surely

Hit outs, disposals, goals, marks.

only all the main ones. He wins many of these quite clearly too.

Mind You if your talking main stats Nicnat is actually 5th overall for clearances behind only Libba, Parish, Oliver and Laird

Gawn ranked 49th which is also behind other ruckman in Hickey, Darcy and Grundy in that particular stat

Gawn has an off day and suddenly he’s second ruck in the AA? Please. He’s been utterly dominant for 10 out of 13 games the side sitting a game clear on top of the ladder.

Cool your jets. It would take an almighty slump for our Max to be dislodged from the starting AA ruck position. Aint gonna happen. The bloke is a superstar.

Stanley in round 6 pulled some coaches votes against Naitanui. Has only managed two more games in the seniors since then though.

Was that this year?

Actually I reckon Stanley has done it to him a couple of times - reckon he got the better of him at Subi a number of years back as well.

He and Sandi always gave Nic trouble

I think Goldy may have had a ding dong with NIc late season a couple of years back as well. Not sure who ended up posting the votes that game.

Case in point - it doesn't happen very often - maybe once every year or 2.

Where as Nic has polled votes regularly against the other "contenders" - in fact most times he plays them

Remove this Banner Ad

Back