Analysis Rolling All-Australian team for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Gawn losing the game for his team.
... Only the 1st qtr but that loss clearly went to his head.
That second Geelong loss in 2018 was devastating. We played so well, and came so close, but Geelong were just a little bit better on the day. Genuinely one of the best games of the season, as heart-breaking as it was.

After we lost I went to a party and dropped acid and all I could think about when I tried to sleep the next day was how gutted the players looked in the room after the game. They were shattered. So was I.

But then a few weeks later we eliminated Geelong in our first finals appearance for a thousand years, and that victory just wouldn't have tasted as sweet without those loses. How could it? What a magical night that was!

Stories are great.

Carn Dees!

Tell me you are being ironic, you must realise you are now arguing against your own point, but just to reiterate, Sheed was the bloke who kicked the game winner therefore making him a “hero” as you put it but he didn’t win the game off his own boot, any more than Darling would have been solely responsible for a loss, you can’t possibly be stupid enough as to have missed that point, but it would appear you have.

Your point seems to be that people who could win the game after the siren and miss, or make abhorrent errors in front of goal and lose, aren't solely responsible for losses.

I obviously disagree as that one mistake would lead directly to a loss.

Ask Max Gawn how he felt after he missed that kick to win them the game, from near on directly in front.

I mean, fair enough if he was hard-pressed up on the boundary from 50 but that was a regulation set shot.

But I guess we'll agree to disagree on how we perceive this. Thanks in advance for moving on with the thread.

Anyway, back to the thread topic. Like I said, wouldn't be particularly upset if Gawn got the nod for a starting position in the AA side however NN's form to date would have him close, if not on the bench.

I confess I haven't really watched much of Gawn this year so I can't comment on how this season is for him however I presume he must be doing well, based on coaches' votes/people's general perception of his performance. Based on the votes however it seems that he's had a few standout games with most being nondescript whilst NN has been consistenly good across most games without being a clear standout in most.

Sean Darcy is the surprise for me, should make the squad of 40 easily and has surpassed others more highly rated.

Or it could be argued that Nic Nat has received votes in 9 games against the 7 of Gawn, indicating a greater consistency…

as for no single legitimate argument. What about the AFL player ratings that have Nic Nat a fair way ahead of Gawn on the year? Or is that illegitimate?

Doesn't suit the narrative.

That second Geelong loss in 2018 was devastating. We played so well, and came so close, but Geelong were just a little bit better on the day. Genuinely one of the best games of the season, as heart-breaking as it was.

After we lost I went to a party and dropped acid and all I could think about when I tried to sleep the next day was how gutted the players looked in the room after the game. They were shattered. So was I.

But then a few weeks later we eliminated Geelong in our first finals appearance for a thousand years, and that victory just wouldn't have tasted as sweet without those loses. How could it? What a magical night that was!

Stories are great.

Carn Dees!
Yep, nothing would be sweeter than that.

I felt the same after the Richmond win on the weekend. Having said that, the WCE vs Richmond shitfight has been one of the more bizarre in recent history, considering we've never played each other in a final.

Naitanui is 201cm built like Godzilla yet doesn’t mark the footy or hit the scoreboard. It’s embarrassing. Can tap a ball and lay a tackle good on him. He’s half a footballer.
In comparing Nic Nat and Gawn on hitting the scoreboard. Nic Nat has the three highest goal scoring seasons of the pair, and averages more goals a game over their careers… just because we don’t ask him to go forward this year doesn’t mean he’s less capable than Gawn in that regards.

How come you can gloss over individual instances of NicNat failing but not Gawn.
The video of Gawn missing the shot in the first quarter being evidence of him being a choker makes my head hurt. Bloke is an absolute melt. I’d be embarrassed to have posted that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can we just put this Gawn/Nic Nat s**t fight into a new thread on the polls board or even on the main board. It's ruining a decent thread.

Anyway, I don't don't like talking locks at this stage but if Stewart doesn't get injured then he has a very very very very very good chance of making the AA team. Bont is in a similar boat. They would be the only players from these 2 teams that have that many verys.

Can we just give Tom Stewart all Australian captain already?

Good old Budda coming through. This is 1v1 loss percentage. Ridley at 10% was an admitted oversight

Last edited:
Crazy how Nic Nat makes Gawn his b*tch every time they play.
That is weird considering since Gawn became the number 1 ruck in 2016 they have only played against each other ONCE

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Good old Budda coming through. This is 1v1 loss percentage. Ridley at 10% was an admitted oversight

Stewart is a lockity lockity lock. He is an all round ace defender. As a neutral I just enjoy watching how he plays.

Interested to see Rampe's rate. While still very good, he is having an average season by his standards.

Crazy how Nic Nat makes Gawn his b*tch every time they play.
It's one game. And yes, Naitanui monstered him in that one game. I'd like a bit more of a sample size.

We'll get another soon.

Gawn's not immune to lowering his colours. Years ago he lost to Hickey. He smashed Hickey in the return bout.

But I am sick of reading about these two.

Can we just put this Gawn/Nic Nat sh*t fight into a new thread on the polls board or even on the main board. It's ruining a decent thread.

Anyway, I don't don't like talking locks at this stage but if Stewart doesn't get injured then he has a very very very very very good chance of making the AA team. Bont is in a similar boat. They would be the only players from these 2 teams that have that many verys.
Tom Stewart would be first picked in my opinion. Bloke's incredible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back