Analysis Rolling All-Australian team for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne posters still covering themselves in glory I see.
Bulldogs supporters still obsessed with Melbourne supporters lol. It was cute when you were within one spot of us on the ladder. I guess distance really does make the heart grow fonder.

Jakes Stringer is the new Nathan Brown

'I was the best player in the league for 7 weeks'

Jakes Stringer is the new Nathan Brown

'I was the best player in the league for 7 weeks'
I do find it funny when fans will rally so hard around a player who is unequivocally a s**t bloke. Like fair enough if you think he’s a good player but imagine being so incredibly defiantly upset that a bloke who cheated on his fiancée with a 17yo didn’t make the AA team. Bit of perspective wouldn’t hurt.

Imagine an All-Australian team where the likes of Seedsman and Amon get picked over Walsh and Merrett. Gee wiz. Every year I take pleasure in seeing inside mids get named on the wings and flanks, and every year I'm bewildered as to why people care so much.

Imagine an All-Australian team where the likes of Seedsman and Amon get picked over Walsh and Merrett. Gee wiz. Every year I take pleasure in seeing inside mids get named on the wings and flanks, and every year I'm bewildered as to why people care so much.
Weird thing to take pleasure in.

Here’s an exercise if you’re up for it. Pick an AA side with who you think are the best “pure wingmen” and best “pure half forward flankers” then see how it stacks up against the AA as picked by the official selectors. Nine hypothetical times out of ten the AA selectors’ side would beat any side you can come up with.

No-one you pick on either half forward flank for example will be better choices than Bontempelli and Petracca. Two of the best five players in the game. They’d both crush anyone you can name on a flank.
I reckon that's many peoples gripe with the AA side premise. I'm sure I could make a better side by shoehorning more midfielders into other spots too.

A lot of other sports team of the years actually pick players in their positions, it's rewarding for being the best in your role even if the role isn't heralded.

No one is arguing Petracca and Bont aren't elite players.

I'm neither here nor there on the structure of the All-australian side, but think people undersell the value of team structure when they say a team that selects the best 22 players will beat one that pays close attention to structure.

Plenty of great midfields have been prominent forces in teams winning flags, but plenty of others haven't been able to get it done because they fall to pieces in other areas of the field. If it was as simple as selecting the best players, there'd be way more instances of gun midfielders spending a more significant amount of time forward and kicking bags and settimg up plenty of goals, but it rarely happens. When was the last time a gun midfielder kicked a bag of 5+?

Last edited:
So, a best 22 regardless of position played.

Geez, I love AFL and all its "quirks".

I reckon that's many peoples gripe with the AA side premise. I'm sure I could make a better side by shoehorning more midfielders into other spots too.

A lot of other sports team of the years actually pick players in their positions, it's rewarding for being the best in your role even if the role isn't heralded.

No one is arguing Petracca and Bont aren't elite players.
Trying to think of one other team sport that doesn't pick AA by best in position.
Struggling at the moment.

Trying to think of one other team sport that doesn't pick AA by best in position.
Struggling at the moment.
Tbf positions in AFL aren't set in stone like other sports. Alot of plays split time in different positions ie 80/20 mid/fwd

In soccer a coach wouldn't tell Ronaldo to go rest at left back for 5 mins

Or Shaq to move to point guard to get his hands on the ball

Or Tom Brady to move out to wide receiver for a bit

Ext.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

anyone who has ever suggested that Toby Greene is a captain material please give yourself an uppercut to the chops.

today just showed that he hasn't changed one bit.

you know he gave away about 5 undisciplined frees and is likely the reason that gws will get knocked out of the finals yeah? just to clarify.
Yeah, it's clear that you have no idea. The bloke inspired his team and won them the game. I'll let you fret over his discipline, I'm sure his team isn't.

He dominated the game, ya peanut!

Omg. you have no idea what it takes to be a leader. It's not just to play well. Otherwise, you give the captaincy to the best player in every team. Picture this, a young player gets drafted to GWS and in his first season he gets caught for eye gauging or bumping into an umpire deliberately or any other thuggery act. Then Toby Greene has a chat to him to discipline him? LOL. Keep dreaming mate. you've got to be a leader, not just on the field. He hits guys off the ball all the time. An amazing player, but a thug and most likely an absolute douche off the field.

Omg. you have no idea what it takes to be a leader. It's not just to play well. Otherwise, you give the captaincy to the best player in every team. Picture this, a young player gets drafted to GWS and in his first season he gets caught for eye gauging or bumping into an umpire deliberately or any other thuggery act. Then Toby Greene has a chat to him to discipline him? LOL. Keep dreaming mate. you've got to be a leader, not just on the field. He hits guys off the ball all the time. An amazing player, but a thug and most likely an absolute douche off the field.
Embarassing take yet again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back