Analysis Rolling All-Australian team for 2021

It’s a bit of a pisstake trying to cram all of the best midfielders in there. The best mids IMO are the ones who are dominant in either contested ball winning or forward impact, if not both, and rank very highly in the other. Ideally a strong tackler also. The ones who aren’t in the top few for those things are clearly still very good/elite footballers, but maybe not AAs. Might even be playing in more balanced midfields, but don’t stand out compared to other mids who do it all.

Vassp

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
You said: ''He got top coaches votes vs the dees and had a few BOG earlier in the season.''

When told by another poster this wasn't the case and that no Richmond player received a vote you replied: ''You better check Then.''

I then show the coaches votes for Anzac Eve, which shows no Richmond player received a vote and you reply ''and ?''.

Now no human being could be so stupid, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Were you replying to a comment I'm not privy to, so I've missed the context ? I'm sure you'll point out what I'm missing. Thanks.
Oh sorry meant dons Not dees lol. Let me edit.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
FB: Lever Andrews Stewart
HB: Dale Weitering Rich
C: Clug Bont (vc) Seedsman
HF: Greene Hawkins Zorko
F: Walker McKay Tippa
R: Gawn (c) Oliver Parish

I/C: Naitanui Petracca Libba Salem

If we’re talking about pure wingers Seedsman deserves a spot as much as anyone IMO, and I CBF cramming another inside mid in there. Can see Hunter getting that wing spot by the season’s end. Actually also think the wing spot isn’t a bad place to plonk a mid-forward type player like Zorko, or a running defender like Salem, or even a high half forward type like TMac. All better than another clearance mid anyway.

Two goals between Greene, Cameron, Papley and Kossie, who would all be deserving selections IMO, but I’ll back Greene to get it done despite missing a few. Similarly have left Salem in because as much as he’s struggled since getting injured he was close to the best defender in the comp for nine weeks, and should get back to his best after the bye. Mundy probably my next midfielder picked or Macrae, so either could go ahead of Salem, as could one of those other small forwards.

There’s a few players who I expect to come home with a wet sail and really shake it up, in McDonald, May, Cameron, Hunter and even Chris Mayne and Aaron Hall as defenders who could v plausibly claim spots. McKay has to win the Coleman to get picked.

Squad:

Key defenders (4): Andrews, Lever, Weitering, May
General defenders (7): Dale, Rich, Stewart, Salem, Hall, Mayne, Starcevich
Inside midfielders (11): Bont, Oliver, Parish, Petracca, Libba, Mundy, Macrae, Merrett, Lyons, Laird, Miller
Wingers (4): Clug, Seedsman, Hunter, Menegola
Mid-forwards/general forwards (8): Zorko, Tippa, Greene, Cameron, Papley, Pickett, Bolton, Fritsch
Key forwards (6): Walker, Hawkins, McKay, Riewoldt, McDonald, Darling

Edit: Boak and Wines definitely belong in the squad but I’m too lazy. Probably too many small forwards.
Seedsman appears to me to be the most one sided winger in the league. Only magically appears on the field when his team has the ball. Amazing offensive numbers tho.

Also that boak and wines call is horrifically bad.

Wines is in the first 18, possibly forced to the bench just by sheer weight of numbers of elite ball winning mids. Bench is the farthest out anyone sane could put wines. To not put him even in the squad is crazy. Boak would be insanely close to the team. Super consistent year and might just miss out on the team but is one of the first picked in the squad. Also Alir is bordering between team or just missing out but then he’s one of the first picked in the squad.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
FB: Lever Andrews Stewart
HB: Dale Weitering Rich
C: Clug Bont (vc) Seedsman
HF: Greene Hawkins Zorko
F: Walker McKay Tippa
R: Gawn (c) Oliver Parish

I/C: Naitanui Petracca Libba Salem

If we’re talking about pure wingers Seedsman deserves a spot as much as anyone IMO, and I CBF cramming another inside mid in there. Can see Hunter getting that wing spot by the season’s end. Actually also think the wing spot isn’t a bad place to plonk a mid-forward type player like Zorko, or a running defender like Salem, or even a high half forward type like TMac. All better than another clearance mid anyway.

Two goals between Greene, Cameron, Papley and Kossie, who would all be deserving selections IMO, but I’ll back Greene to get it done despite missing a few. Similarly have left Salem in because as much as he’s struggled since getting injured he was close to the best defender in the comp for nine weeks, and should get back to his best after the bye. Mundy probably my next midfielder picked or Macrae, so either could go ahead of Salem, as could one of those other small forwards.

There’s a few players who I expect to come home with a wet sail and really shake it up, in McDonald, May, Cameron, Hunter and even Chris Mayne and Aaron Hall as defenders who could v plausibly claim spots. McKay has to win the Coleman to get picked.

Squad:

Key defenders (4): Andrews, Lever, Weitering, May
General defenders (7): Dale, Rich, Stewart, Salem, Hall, Mayne, Starcevich
Inside midfielders (11): Bont, Oliver, Parish, Petracca, Libba, Mundy, Macrae, Merrett, Lyons, Laird, Miller
Wingers (4): Clug, Seedsman, Hunter, Menegola
Mid-forwards/general forwards (8): Zorko, Tippa, Greene, Cameron, Papley, Pickett, Bolton, Fritsch
Key forwards (6): Walker, Hawkins, McKay, Riewoldt, McDonald, Darling

Edit: Boak and Wines definitely belong in the squad but I’m too lazy. Probably too many small forwards.

Would have Hind well ahead Hall and well ahead of Mayne

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You forgot a top 3 mid, Wines
Seedsman appears to me to be the most one sided winger in the league. Only magically appears on the field when his team has the ball. Amazing offensive numbers tho.

Wines is in the first 18, possibly forced to the bench just by sheer weight of numbers of elite ball winning mids. Bench is the farthest out anyone sane could put wines. To not put him even in the squad is crazy. Boak would be insanely close to the team. Super consistent year and might just miss out on the team but is one of the first picked in the squad. Also Alir is bordering between team or just missing out but then he’s one of the first picked in the squad.
Which of the mids is he forcing out? Using AFLCA as an example, he's 8th among midfielders currently (unless you count wings seperate, in which case he's 7th). Not outrageous to have him outside the 18 unless you want to start forcing multiple midfielders into the forward line

There’s better midfielders than Wines. You might not like it but it’s true.

Would have Hind well ahead Hall and well ahead of Mayne
Yeah that’s fair, I thought of him and meant to include him. Like I said I don’t have Hall or Mayne that close to the team now but just expect them to get a lot closer given the form they’ve hit so I put them in. Hind definitely ahead of them for now, has been more consistent. Should be ahead of Salem tbh.

Last edited:

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
There is so much recency bias in this thread - it's hilarious. Duncan and Guth can't even make it into the squad this week, after at least one of them making it into each person's 22 just 2 weeks ago.

Never change BF

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
There is so much recency bias in this thread - it's hilarious. Duncan and Guth can't even make it into the squad this week, after at least one of them making it into each person's 22 just 2 weeks ago.

Never change BF
Duncan is far off being AA this year - not impossible, but no.

Guth, we'll see.

I have adjusted those opinions to the Geelong AA bias (I accept that a minimum of 3-5 Geelong players must make the team every year),

AFL have released their mid season AA team.

- Don't like MIDs on the Forward Flank. If they aren't good enough for the Middle then get them out of the team.
- Toby Greene? wtf? Hasn't played in like 4 weeks? That's 1/3 of the season to date..... s**t Choice.
- Tom Hawkins? wtf? There's about 4 forwards tat deserve it over him, namely Aaron Naughton. s**t choice.
- Tom Libba starting in the middle over Parish? lol....see below...

1623105797787.png

1623106323860.png

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

- Don't like MIDs on the Forward Flank. If they aren't good enough for the Middle then get them out of the team.
- Toby Greene? wtf? Hasn't played in like 4 weeks? That's 1/3 of the season to date..... sh*t Choice.
- Tom Hawkins? wtf? There's about 4 forwards tat deserve it over him, namely Aaron Naughton. sh*t choice.

View attachment 1149734

View attachment 1149737

The first 3 rounds for Walker were pretty amazing, but since then his goal kicking per match has dropped significantly. He is not playing badly by any means, but he would need to find more of his first 3 rounds form soonish in order to be assured an AA spot.

Ati Tude

Club Legend
Mar 20, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon

- Toby Greene? wtf? Hasn't played in like 4 weeks? That's 1/3 of the season to date..... sh*t Choice.
- Tom Hawkins? wtf? There's about 4 forwards tat deserve it over him, namely Aaron Naughton. sh*t choice.

View attachment 1149734

View attachment 1149737
The irony of Ess having been criticized for not playing Parish as a proper onballer sooner. AFL mid year AA team - Parish on HFF.

Happy Mastenator

Chris Masten's Sock Puppet
Apr 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
The first 3 rounds for Walker were pretty amazing, but since then his goal kicking per match has dropped significantly. He is not playing badly by any means, but he would need to find more of his first 3 rounds form soonish in order to be assured an AA spot.
His last game was 22 touches, 6 marks, 2 goals 6 behinds, and a goal assist. The two games before that he kicked 4 and 3 goals respectively.

Would have thought he's pretty clearly in at the moment.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
His last game was 22 touches, 6 marks, 2 goals 6 behinds, and a goal assist. The two games before that he kicked 4 and 3 goals respectively.

Would have thought he's pretty clearly in at the moment.

I think he has kicked 11 goals in the last 5 matches, which isn't bad, but it isn't 18 goals in 3 matches like he had in the first 3 rounds.

I think he has kicked 11 goals in the last 5 matches, which isn't bad, but it isn't 18 goals in 3 matches like he had in the first 3 rounds.
He has 48 goals and goal assists combined this year. The next best is a tie between Walla, McKay and Riewoldt on 41.

well i mean its only the mid year selection and based on that Walker is a walk up start to CHF.

He may very well drop out like you said but he's definitely in the team right now.

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

View attachment 1149734

View attachment 1149737
Strange complaint. Your boy Parish is named by the afl.com team, but you're still upset Libba made the midfield over Parish?

BennyGan

Club Legend
Jan 15, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong

Never change BF
Guthrie has been as good as any mid in the comp this year, been right up there with the dees and dogs boys

Guthrie has been as good as any mid in the comp this year, been right up there with the dees and dogs boys
No he hasn't

But he has still ben fairly good

Last edited:
Strange complaint. Your boy Parish is named by the afl.com team, but you're still upset Libba made the midfield over Parish?

not really a complaint. It's mid year so means nothing.

Just pointing out that putting Libba ahead of Parish in the middle is an odd choice, Parish's stats are across the board much better. Why would you put Parish on a HFF when he doesn't even play that position.

When are some posters going to get it through their head that stats DO NOT paint the full picture?

If they did ******* Tom Mitchell would be the second best mid as he averages the second most possessions per game

Back