Analysis Rolling All-Australian team for 2021

Melbourne ain't getting 6 players in the AA team, no idea what AFL.com are on about

I think we should have 5: Gawn, Petracca, Oliver, Lever & Salem. I'd arguably have Langdon in before May. I'm all for picking wingers on the wing.

May has had a great year, but AFL.com.au has FIVE key defenders.... Lever, May, Stewart, Weitering & Andrews. I know that the AA team isn't exactly picked to win a match with a proper lineup, but come on... So yeah I'd probably kick out May, not because the others deserve it ahead of him but with so many Dees in the team it seems unlikely to have six, including three in the starting backline.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
stats can be very misleading, meters gained has now become one of the most overrated stats out there. guys that get their possessions in the back half have crazy numbers. i just think guthrie is better, and of course his numbers are gonna be lower when he is playing in a much better team and midfield.

You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.

richolovesgoal

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa
UPDATED 3/4/21

FB: Lever (MELB) - May (MELB) - Stewart (GEEL)
HB: Rich (BRI) - Weitering (CARL) - Short (RICH)
C: Macrae (WBD) - Bontempelli (WBD) - McCluggage (BRIS)
HF: Petracca (MELB) - Walker (ADE) - Bolton (RICH)
FF: McDonald-Tipungwuti (ESS) - McKay (CARL) - Greene (GWS)
R: Gawn (MELB) - Oliver (MELB) - Walsh (CARL)
I/C: Steele (STK) - Boak (PTA) - Mundy (FRE) - Guthrie (GEEL)

IN:

May (MELB)
Stewart (GEEL)
Weitering (CARL)
McCluggage (BRIS)
Bolton (RICH)
McDonald-Tipungwuti (ESS)
McKay (CARL)
Guthrie (GEEL)

OUT:

Aliir (PTA)
Ridley (ESS)
McGovern (WCE)
Dunkley (WBD)
Martin (RICH)
Pickett (MELB)
Riewoldt (RICH)
Laird (ADE)

By team:

5x players: Melbourne
3x players: Carlton
2x players: Geelong, Brisbane, Richmond, Bulldogs
1x players: Adelaide, Essendon, GWS, St Kilda, Port Adelaide, Fremantle
0x players: Collingwood, Gold Coast, Hawthorn, North, Sydney, West Coast

UPDATED 9/6/21

HB: Rich (BRIS) - Weitering (CARL) - Salem (MELB)
C: Macrae (WBD) - Oliver (MELB) - McCluggage (BRIS)
HF: Martin (RICH) - Walker (ADE) - Bolton (RICH)
FF: McDonald-Tipungwuti (ESS) - McKay (CARL) - King (GC)
R: Gawn (MELB) - Bontempelli (WBD) - Petracca (MELB)
I/C: Walsh (CARL) - Parish (ESS) - Liberatore (WBD) - Lyons (BRIS)

IN:

Salem (MELB)
Martin (RICH)
Parish (ESS)
Liberatore (WBD)
Lyons (BRIS)

OUT:

Short (RICH)
Steele (STK)
Boak (PTA)
Mundy (FRE)
Guthrie (GEEL)

By team:

6x players: Melbourne
3x players: Brisbane, Carlton, Western Bulldogs
2x players: Essendon, Richmond
1x players: Adelaide, Geelong, Gold Coast
0x players: Collingwood, Fremantle, GWS, Hawthorn, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide, St Kilda, Sydney, West Coast

Jan 6, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Collingwood Magpies
UPDATED 9/6/21

HB: Rich (BRIS) - Weitering (CARL) - Salem (MELB)
C: Macrae (WBD) - Oliver (MELB) - McCluggage (BRIS)
HF: Martin (RICH) - Walker (ADE) - Bolton (RICH)
FF: McDonald-Tipungwuti (ESS) - McKay (CARL) - King (GC)
R: Gawn (MELB) - Bontempelli (WBD) - Petracca (MELB)
I/C: Walsh (CARL) - Parish (ESS) - Liberatore (WBD) - Lyons (BRIS)

IN:

Salem (MELB)
Martin (RICH)
Parish (ESS)
Liberatore (WBD)
Lyons (BRIS)

OUT:

Short (RICH)
Steele (STK)
Boak (PTA)
Mundy (FRE)
Guthrie (GEEL)

By team:

6x players: Melbourne
3x players: Brisbane, Carlton, Western Bulldogs
2x players: Essendon, Richmond
1x players: Adelaide, Geelong, Gold Coast
0x players: Collingwood, Fremantle, GWS, Hawthorn, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide, St Kilda, Sydney, West Coast
That is a lot of clubs to have no players in.

Petrify

Premiership Player
Mar 1, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
GWS Giants
I guess its only me & Eagles supporters who think Nic Nats had a better year than Gawn.

I guess its only me & Eagles supporters who think Nic Nats had a better year than Gawn.
Probably because he hasn't. He's had an excellent year, no doubt, but Gawn's been better

Happy Mastenator

Chris Masten's Sock Puppet
Apr 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast

I think an argument can be made that he's been better than Gawn, but for the sake of not derailing the thread I'll just repeat my position that like last year both are clearly in the best 22 players this season and both should make the team.

Both should have crackers again this week against Richmond (Nic Nat) and Pies (Gawn) given their opponents are running out what can best be described as inexperienced ruckmen.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah nah. They're just as good when Jackson is rucking and they do their best work around the ground, their ability has nothing to do with Gawn
Actually, you said he's been as good as Oliver and Petracca, which he clearly hasn't

Who’s alt account is this?

You’d think given Melbourne’s form they’d actually select them as the team they follow.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Melbourne ain't getting 6 players in the AA team, no idea what AFL.com are on about
Why not? 1 loss by a single point after 12 rounds. out of Lever, May and Salem, at least 2 of those are in at this point. Petracca, Oliver and Gawn are locks. Langdon would have to be in the mix. Kozzy and Fritta and TMac are all a good chance for the 40 squad. If Richmond were 11-1 you'd be all over the AA having 6+ Tiger players being included. Don't be salty.

300Weatherby

Cancelled
Apr 12, 2021
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
GCS & Bianchi Cup
Who’s alt account is this?

You’d think given Melbourne’s form they’d actually select them as the team they follow.

You upset because i laughed at your post? cheer up buttercup

Hello! | BigFooty

Howdy all! Thought I'd create a profile instead of just lurking in the background like i have been. Follow the game more so than an single club, although right now enjoy watching GC and Melbourne

On current form I would have Parish ahead of Libba. Parish as greater run and is a more rounded player. Libba is great at clearances but not an A grader.

Most certainly would not have Weitering - most unimpressive v my mob. Walsh was ok but hardly destructive. McKay was good.

I really think a rule in the thread should be discussing and putting fwd players who are not from your team.

S_Saed17

Debutant
Jul 10, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Why not? 1 loss by a single point after 12 rounds. out of Lever, May and Salem, at least 2 of those are in at this point. Petracca, Oliver and Gawn are locks. Langdon would have to be in the mix. Kozzy and Fritta and TMac are all a good chance for the 40 squad. If Richmond were 11-1 you'd be all over the AA having 6+ Tiger players being included. Don't be salty.

Nobody is a lock first of all, there's still 10 weeks left in the season.

Secondly, i'm not being salty just pointing out that i think they will get 4 at best imo (Gawn, Petracca, Oliver and Lever). When's the last time a team had more than 4 AA? Salem and May are good players and will probably get in the squad if their form keeps up, but i don't think they'll get in to the 22 as i doubt they'll have a 1/3 of the AA team from 1 club (They generally throw a bone to the lower teams and give them a selection).

Halftimehero

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 26, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon

Why not?

If their 2nd half of the season is as good as their first half then they’ll be 20-2 or 21-1, that’s absolute domination of a season and would deserve to have a massive chunk of the team.

Pomsta

All Australian
Jun 10, 2010
Stuck at Home
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Wolves, 49ers
I think we should have 5: Gawn, Petracca, Oliver, Lever & Salem. I'd arguably have Langdon in before May. I'm all for picking wingers on the wing.

May has had a great year, but AFL.com.au has FIVE key defenders.... Lever, May, Stewart, Weitering & Andrews. I know that the AA team isn't exactly picked to win a match with a proper lineup, but come on... So yeah I'd probably kick out May, not because the others deserve it ahead of him but with so many Dees in the team it seems unlikely to have six, including three in the starting backline.
Can't see why Langdon would even be in the squad except he is playing for the top team at the moment. Due to lockdown I've watched most games and Brandon Ellis has had a better year on the wing. He's actually doing defensive stuff this year.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
Why not?

If their 2nd half of the season is as good as their first half then they’ll be 20-2 or 21-1, that’s absolute domination of a season and would deserve to have a massive chunk of the team.
Essendon only had 4 players in the AA in the most dominant season ever

Essendon only had 4 players in the AA in the most dominant season ever
Collingwood had 6 in 2011 when they finished 20-2
St. Kilda had 5 in 2009 with 20-2
Geelong had 7 in 2008 with 21-1

6 in the AA side is very possible if Melbourne get 20 wins

Happy Mastenator

Apr 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
The Demons "only" have a percentage of 137. That's a fair way off of some of the dominant teams of the past where they were 150+

If Demons want to flood the AA team with players they need to do more than just grind out wins. They need to start handing out some major thrashings.

Happy Mastenator

Apr 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Collingwood had 6 in 2011 when they finished 20-2
St. Kilda had 5 in 2009 with 20-2
Geelong had 7 in 2008 with 21-1

6 in the AA side is very possible if Melbourne get 20 wins
As above, % is important. Melbourne currently at 137

2011 - Pies had a % of 167
2009 - Saints had % of 155
2008 - Geelong had % of 161

With Melbourne having 10 games remaining they'd need to win with an average % of approx 176% to get up to a season ending % of 155 to match the Saints.

Back