Rolling Ashes Squad Thread, now featuring Haddin XII v Hick XII beginning p. 147

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starc 1-70 off 9 the English bats were having nightmares. He has been in terrible red ball form as of late and doesn’t deserve to be picked
Please it was one ODI, Took the most wickets in the recent aussie summer of all the fast bowlers and lead allcomers in the world cup.

Red ball form of late, took 10 for in his last test outing and before you say it was only Sri Lanka, they are about to pick Pattinson who played against some suburban 11's.

Watch him be rushed back in for the second test.

Hope not. This is our best attack. Cummins, Pattinson and one of Siddle/Hazelwood/Nesser in these conditions.

Please it was one ODI, Took the most wickets in the recent aussie summer of all the fast bowlers and lead allcomers in the world cup.

Red ball form of late, took 10 for in his last test outing and before you say it was only Sri Lanka, they are about to pick Pattinson who played against some suburban 11's.
Maybe a compelling argument if correct but Pat Cummins was the leading wicket taker out of the quicks despite the fact Starc always got the new rock and the best opportunities. Starc doesn’t warrant selection

Hope not. This is our best attack. Cummins, Pattinson and one of Siddle/Hazelwood/Nesser in these conditions.

Agree, Starc could replace Cummins/Patto if one gets injured but we need the "boring" seamer there as well. Mitch Marsh would be handy as well but the campaigner can't bat at 6, if Wade was wicky he could bat at 6.

Craddock was saying on SEN that Marsh is a perfect number 7 at Test level and I completely agree, was always unfair batting him at 6.

Agree, Starc could replace Cummins/Patto if one gets injured but we need the "boring" seamer there as well. Mitch Marsh would be handy as well but the campaigner can't bat at 6, if Wade was wicky he could bat at 6.

Craddock was saying on SEN that Marsh is a perfect number 7 at Test level and I completely agree, was always unfair batting him at 6.
But Wade is s**t with the gloves and Paine has a better record than him with the bat. If we had a strong batting line up like we did 10 years back and a keeper like Gilly who could bat at 6 then when Marsh’s shoulders are right and his bowling well he would work well at 7

Yeah well every time Langer says one thing publicly he does the other. Not a good way to manage a side. He has made a few shocking calls in his time like Finch over Renshaw. Not a fan of JL as coach
Langer isn't the first and final word, the days of the Australian coach being king are long behind us. He answers to others too.

I agree the Renshaw call was bad, but overall, he's done well in the circumstances. Got Australia winning again, has got the egos in line, if he can start imposing himself (and dropping Starc would be an impressive statement), we might see what he is capable of.

But Wade is s**t with the gloves and Paine has a better record than him with the bat. If we had a strong batting line up like we did 10 years back and a keeper like Gilly who could bat at 6 then when Marsh’s shoulders are right and his bowling well he would work well at 7

I can't recall his glove work, I wouldn't say Paine is brilliant with his gloves either, more serviceable. Wade's test record is 29, Paine is 35 fair enough but I think Wade's recent form indicates he'd be better than his current average indicates.Not saying Paine deserves to be dropped (he won't be anyway cause he's captain) but finding a spot for Wade is becoming a priority.

Won’t be the best slips cordon we’ve ever had. Interested to see who goes at first from that XI.
I'd guess:

Wade 1st
Smith 2nd
Khawaja 3rd
Lyon Gully
Warner Point
Head mid-off
Cummins mid-on
Bancroft short leg
other opening bowler fine leg.

Langer isn't the first and final word, the days of the Australian coach being king are long behind us. He answers to others too.

I agree the Renshaw call was bad, but overall, he's done well in the circumstances. Got Australia winning again, has got the egos in line, if he can start imposing himself (and dropping Starc would be an impressive statement), we might see what he is capable of.
I understand that and agree with that. But he is also the mouth piece of the selectors. I guess ever since he made that blunder on SEN I haven’t liked him.

Finch was certainly the wrong call in Australia but Renshaw has done nothing to suggest he should be in the team for quite a long time.
What? In the lead up to the UAE tests that Finch debuted in Renshaw had made 6 hundreds and 4 50's in 11 shield and div 1 county matches.

I can't recall his glove work, I wouldn't say Paine is brilliant with his gloves either, more serviceable. Wade's test record is 29, Paine is 35 fair enough but I think Wade's recent form indicates he'd be better than his current average indicates.Not saying Paine deserves to be dropped (he won't be anyway cause he's captain) but finding a spot for Wade is becoming a priority.

Why he is 32 and had one decent season? Failed twice before that. Should be time to cut our loses

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why he is 32 and had one decent season? Failed twice before that. Should be time to cut our loses

Well it's not like we have an embarrassment of riches with our batting lineup, we can't afford not to pick guys who are in form at this point.

And 32 is not old for a Test bat that's for sure, how old were Hussey and Voges when they got picked?

Well it's not like we have an embarrassment of riches with our batting lineup, we can't afford not to pick guys who are in form at this point.

And 32 is not old for a Test bat that's for sure, how old were Hussey and Voges when they got picked?
Did those guys have a lengthy record of failure in both international formats when they got a go? I fine with giving him another shot but saying making room for him is a 'priority' and we can't 'afford to not pick him is pretty funny imo.

Marsh is a perfect “not in the team” at test level thanks! Campaigner got 30 tests to be utterly trash!

Wade as keeper, please don’t joke about such things it was woeful before it’s still woeful

I’m amazed yet happy the selectors finally dropped Starc, has been average in the Tests for a long time.
Been saying for ages when all are fit Pattinson and Cummins are clearly the best fast bowlers we have, hopefully they can stay fit, will be great to see a fast bowler with genuine aggression again.

Did those guys have a lengthy record of failure in both international formats when they got a go? I fine with giving him another shot but saying making room for him is a 'priority' and we can't 'afford to not pick him is pretty funny imo.

Again he's as close to belting the door down as there is at the moment. I didn't say we can't afford to pick him, I said it's becoming a priority, and if we have a few collapses in the first two tests it may have to be done, we'd need to try something at that point.

Marsh is a perfect “not in the team” at test level thanks! Campaigner got 30 tests to be utterly trash!

Wade as keeper, please don’t joke about such things it was woeful before it’s still woeful

I'm not saying Marsh should be in the team, just saying he was batted out of position and probably not given his best chance. At 6 you're expected to average over 40, at 7 you can be a bit freer and slog a few really.

I don't think Tim Paine is the Ian Healy with the gloves that some of you seem to think. He's lucky he's captain otherwise he may have come under scrutiny beforehand. He's still the best option but if we consider picking Wade as a bat and Paine's form dips you never know what they might do.

Its interesting bagging Harris test record and saying Bancroft is better, Harris first series he averaged 37 against India, Bancroft first series he averaged 25 against England, both series at home. In that same Ashes series, Mitch Marsh averaged 80...

Bancroft got better when he had the added responsibility of being the sandpaper guy, doesn't Harris deserve the opportunity to have another go given he has done nothing but score runs since his last test and is the incumbent?

Plus as has been mentioned and overlooked, everyone is happy to leave out Labuschagne despite the fact he has a lot more runs than Bancroft against the same county bowling attacks!!! But select Bancroft because he has made runs in Div 2 county cricket, but Labs runs in Div 2 County cricket don't count...

You all sound just like the Australian selectors!!!

Yeah but when the call was made in the UAE to go with Finch of the back of t20 runs in England over Renshaw making 1400 FC runs with 7 100s it was horrific. Renshaw’s form did turn to absolute s**t during the Shield season and should now be behind Warner, Bancroft, Harris and Burns for an opening spot but at the time that was a terrible call

Renshaw was also concussed prior to the tests yet again and missed the warm up match so there was likely concern over him getting through the series. If in doubt, go the fit batsman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back