Rolling Ashes Squad Thread, now featuring Haddin XII v Hick XII beginning p. 147

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And who else has made 1000 runs in the last 5 years?

Geez your logic is stupid, he had an exceptional season of cricket and yet he still doesn’t deserve to make it in because he hasn’t achieved something almost impossible in this day and age for our cricketers?
For starters Labuschange, Bancroft and Harris 2019 all posted 1000 FC runs so far.
Head, Khawaja, Renshaw, S Marsh and Wade 2018.
Smith, Bancroft, Warner, Handscomb and Mark Cosgrove 2017.
Cosgrove, Handscomb, Voges, Smith and Khawaja 2016.
Voges, Cosgrove, Smith, Klinger, Warner, S Marsh, Burns, Rogers and Handscomb 2015

Making runs isn’t almost impossible. The notion that Wade has just been piling on so many runs is incorrect. There are all the Australian batsmen who have made 1000 first class runs in a calendar year just to show you it’s not as rare as you think

For starters Labuschange, Bancroft and Harris 2019 all posted 1000 FC runs so far.
Head, Khawaja, Renshaw, S Marsh and Wade 2018.
Smith, Bancroft, Warner, Handscomb and Mark Cosgrove 2017.
Cosgrove, Handscomb, Voges, Smith and Khawaja 2016.
Voges, Cosgrove, Smith, Klinger, Warner, S Marsh, Burns, Rogers and Handscomb 2015

Making runs isn’t almost impossible. The notion that Wade has just been piling on so many runs is incorrect. There are all the Australian batsmen who have made 1000 first class runs in a calendar year just to show you it’s not as rare as you think

Plus once you hit 32 you can’t make any runs, are over the hill and should never be selected again, don’t forget that!

Seems like we are going with the right sort of attack, the starc and hazlewood opening combo really hasn't been at it's best going all the way back to the last ashes, time after time they wasted the new ball and then lyon and cummins would have to come on steady the ship make the important breakthroughs and allow starc and hazlewood to strike later on but your new ball quicks should not be relying on your first change quick and your spinner to bail you out and give you second chances.

Awkward having Starc as the face of the CA App if he isn’t playing.

I’m unchanged with

Bancroft
Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Head
Marnus
Paine
Cummins
Pattinson
Hazlewood
Lyon

This was the 11 I picked a out a week ago (with either Starc or Hazlewood). I would love to see Matty Wade play but realistically I see Marnus getting the spot.

Langer did say something interesting on SEN yesterday though. Essentially said Wade had forced himself to be selected in the squad and 'probably the team' with the sheer amount of runs in the past 18 months.

Plus once you hit 32 you can’t make any runs, are over the hill and should never be selected again, don’t forget that!
When you haven't been able to average even 30 with thebat in an Australian shirt after pulling on 142 times in the past you'll have to excuse people that might still have some question marks on him.

I don't think Tim Paine has done his team any favours by saying in the press conference that he could name 15 more intimidating places to play than Edgbaston.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This idea that if you pick Wade you also have to pick Harris because they both had great Shield seasons is complete and utter nonsense. Here is why:

Firstly, Shield form is not the only relevant form. There is far more relevant information to consider than just Shield form. Wade has churned out runs in every format he’s played over the last 12 - 18 months. He’s now made runs in England as well, including a hundred against the England Lions who have a far better bowling attack than anything Lab or Bancroft faced in county 2nd div. Then there is the fact that Harris and Lab have both had recent opportunities at Test level and been not quite good enough.

Secondly, they are competing for different spots against different players. Bancroft has been solid to excellent since his return to Cricket. Labuschagne has made runs in second division, but as previously mentioned, that is not a very high standard competition. Labuschagne’s overall FC record does not merit selection. Wade has been knocking down the door for 2 years.

Thirdly, the whole argument is just an obvious logical fallacy. They are two separate selection questions and Shield form is just one of many factors. Wade clearly deserves a spot in the middle order based on weight of runs over a long period including recently in England against a quality attack. To claim that therefore Harris must deserve a spot as an opener because he had a slightly better Shield season last year is so obviously nonsense that I can’t belive I have to actually write this out.

For the record, I personally think that Harris vs Bancroft is probably a pretty tight call.
Wade was also dominating in Hobart, where the bowl moves around like it does in England.
Has to play IMO

England has a huge tactical advantage with playing 3 all-rounders; 4 seamers while batting to 9. In contrast we will play 3 seamers and bat to 7. If the new ball is deadly it is a huge advantage.

If we collapse early they can lay on the pressure from both ends and threaten to expose our lower order.

England has a huge tactical advantage with playing 3 all-rounders; 4 seamers while batting to 9. In contrast we will play 3 seamers and bat to 7. If the new ball is deadly it is a huge advantage.

If we collapse early they can lay on the pressure from both ends and threaten to expose our lower order.

Then again so many all-rounders can lead to a quick batting collapse

If the new ball is deadly, you pretty much always never need those extra bowling options.

I'd much rather extra batsmen considering this series is likely to be dominated by the ball.

They may bat to 9, but 7 of them average less than 30 in reality....

Cummins and Patto are certainly no mugs with the bat either, both of them average 20+

Pete Lalor pointed out this morning that of the XI that played in the Lords Test when Smith and Paine debuted, they're the only two still playing fc cricket.

Dont see why that is suprising or something to highlight. That was 9 years ago. Would you have expected, in 2010, that Watson, Katich, Ponting, Clarke, Hussey, North, Johnson, Hilfenhaus and Bollinger to be playing FC cricket in 2019?

No surprises for England

Roy, Burns, Root, Denly, Buttler, Stokes, Bairstow, Ali, Woakes, Broad, Anderson

* that is a streaky batting lineup, could go one of two ways.....

Hmm. If not fit then fair enough. Would probably take Neser to be honest, then Joshy in test 2.

I’ll trust the selectors if they recon Hazelwood is match fit then play him.

This idea that if you pick Wade you also have to pick Harris because they both had great Shield seasons is complete and utter nonsense. Here is why:

Firstly, Shield form is not the only relevant form. There is far more relevant information to consider than just Shield form. Wade has churned out runs in every format he’s played over the last 12 - 18 months. He’s now made runs in England as well, including a hundred against the England Lions who have a far better bowling attack than anything Lab or Bancroft faced in county 2nd div. Then there is the fact that Harris and Lab have both had recent opportunities at Test level and been not quite good enough.

Secondly, they are competing for different spots against different players. Bancroft has been solid to excellent since his return to Cricket. Labuschagne has made runs in second division, but as previously mentioned, that is not a very high standard competition. Labuschagne’s overall FC record does not merit selection. Wade has been knocking down the door for 2 years.

Thirdly, the whole argument is just an obvious logical fallacy. They are two separate selection questions and Shield form is just one of many factors. Wade clearly deserves a spot in the middle order based on weight of runs over a long period including recently in England against a quality attack. To claim that therefore Harris must deserve a spot as an opener because he had a slightly better Shield season last year is so obviously nonsense that I can’t belive I have to actually write this out.

For the record, I personally think that Harris vs Bancroft is probably a pretty tight call.
Lol

Having one good season doesn’t constitute banging down the door. You talk about runs in white ball cricket that irrelevant.

You say the Lions have a better attack than any bowler in div 2. Jimmy Anderson says hello

You bring up test records of Lab and Harris yet Wades and Bangers are equally as poor.

You say Bancroft has been good to excellent since his return to cricket then going on to bag out Labuschange for making runs in div 2 same division he out scored Bancroft by 400 runs

Also the stance is about consistency of course the coach and selectors can pick who ever they want. But you lose credibility when you contradict yourself like that

You keep mentioning Wade has been dominating for 2 years but that’s just not true. The only red ball form he has under his belt is the 18/19 Shield season.

Wade has been grossly overrated by so many people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back