Rolling Ashes Squad Thread, now featuring Haddin XII v Hick XII beginning p. 147

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are unlikely to drop someone who scored a ton in his last Test. Unless it's Burns and someone the calibre of Warner is the one taking his place.

Khawaja also scored a on, you could very easily put Burns at 6

Warner, Harris, Khawaja, Smith, Head, Burns, Paine

Either way, someone who made a ton in their last test is getting dropped

Might be so but he needs to use those games whether it's 1, 2 or 10 Shield games to get runs. He made a couple of half decent scores, but lets not pretend he went Harris style and made huge hundreds.

His first class average is 41 of the current test team only khawaja is higher ...

Work that out ..

His first class average is 41 of the current test team only khawaja is higher ...

Work that out ..

They aren't leaving out incumbents who performed in the last test for Maxwell, especially when we are already fitting Smith and Warner in. As it is 3 guys made hundreds in the last test, and 1 will miss out.

After the conclusion of the Shield and ODI tours, this is the 15 I'm taking to the Ashes. Obviously there is still chances for people to earn spots with some World Cup and A tour performances.

1. Marcus Harris - after his disappointing series against Sri Lanka he has looked a man on a mission to prove himself and hold his spot. Finishing as the leading run scorer in the Shield with a big century in the final means he's done enough for me.
2. David Warner - was told to go make runs in the IPL and he's done so with 2 50's and an unbeaten century from 3 games. Best opener in the world, can't afford to leave him out.
3. Usman Khawaja - I wanted him out of the Australian sides at the start of the year, since he has made me eat my words with his staggering ODI form. I don't think it can be ignored.
4. Steve Smith - the best batsman in the world. Enough said.
5. Travis Head - wasn't convinced about his ability as a red ball player when he was introduced but he enjoyed a good summer without setting the world on fire. Great against Sri Lanka, continued his form into the last 3 Shield games despite his teammates dropping like flies around him.
6. Kurtis Patterson - what a debut test series this guy had. Was a little patchy returning to the Shield but he did enough to justify his selection.
7. Tim Paine (c)(wk) - only in the side to be captain in my opinion. Needs to score more runs.
8. Pat Cummins (vc) - no explanation needed.
9. Jhye Richardson/Mitchell Starc - take your pick. Richardson is probably the most promising young bowler in the country and looks perfectly suited to English conditions with the way he manipulates the ball off the pitch and through the air. Starc had a particularly poor summer but showed his devastating best in the last test at Manuka. Both have injury question marks at the moment so it could be a case of whoever is fit first.
10. Nathan Lyon - the GOAT.
11. Josh Hazlewood - didn't enjoy a particularly good summer by his own standards but suits the English conditions. Will be looking to make up for his poor showing in the last Ashes tour.

Extended Squad
12. Matthew Wade - backup keeper and probably the most inform batsman in the country. Would be in the side if Paine wasn't captain.
13. James Pattinson - when fit he's just about the best bowler in Australia. If his body holds up he'll be putting pressure on the fast bowlers.
14. Cameron Bancroft - showed great form and ticker in his first class return. Deserves a chance to redeem himself.
15. Whoever misses out of Richardson and Starc

Lol at anyone rating actual TEST form against Shield form.

Which Victorian is being pushed by eddie now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After the conclusion of the Shield and ODI tours, this is the 15 I'm taking to the Ashes. Obviously there is still chances for people to earn spots with some World Cup and A tour performances.

1. Marcus Harris - after his disappointing series against Sri Lanka he has looked a man on a mission to prove himself and hold his spot. Finishing as the leading run scorer in the Shield with a big century in the final means he's done enough for me.
2. David Warner - was told to go make runs in the IPL and he's done so with 2 50's and an unbeaten century from 3 games. Best opener in the world, can't afford to leave him out.
3. Usman Khawaja - I wanted him out of the Australian sides at the start of the year, since he has made me eat my words with his staggering ODI form. I don't think it can be ignored.
4. Steve Smith - the best batsman in the world. Enough said.
5. Travis Head - wasn't convinced about his ability as a red ball player when he was introduced but he enjoyed a good summer without setting the world on fire. Great against Sri Lanka, continued his form into the last 3 Shield games despite his teammates dropping like flies around him.
6. Kurtis Patterson - what a debut test series this guy had. Was a little patchy returning to the Shield but he did enough to justify his selection.
7. Tim Paine (c)(wk) - only in the side to be captain in my opinion. Needs to score more runs.
8. Pat Cummins (vc) - no explanation needed.
9. Jhye Richardson/Mitchell Starc - take your pick. Richardson is probably the most promising young bowler in the country and looks perfectly suited to English conditions with the way he manipulates the ball off the pitch and through the air. Starc had a particularly poor summer but showed his devastating best in the last test at Manuka. Both have injury question marks at the moment so it could be a case of whoever is fit first.
10. Nathan Lyon - the GOAT.
11. Josh Hazlewood - didn't enjoy a particularly good summer by his own standards but suits the English conditions. Will be looking to make up for his poor showing in the last Ashes tour.

Extended Squad
12. Matthew Wade - backup keeper and probably the most inform batsman in the country. Would be in the side if Paine wasn't captain.
13. James Pattinson - when fit he's just about the best bowler in Australia. If his body holds up he'll be putting pressure on the fast bowlers.
14. Cameron Bancroft - showed great form and ticker in his first class return. Deserves a chance to redeem himself.
15. Whoever misses out of Richardson and Starc
Reckon that's about right.

I suspect that re: the bowlers, none of them will play the five tests and they will just rotate them through. I think hazlewood or Cummins mentioned this in an interview

I suspect that re: the bowlers, none of them will play the five tests and they will just rotate them through. I think hazlewood or Cummins mentioned this in an interview
If they win a match, guarenteed they won't be changing it for the next match and again for the 3rd if they win the 2nd/

They aren't leaving out incumbents who performed in the last test for Maxwell, especially when we are already fitting Smith and Warner in. As it is 3 guys made hundreds in the last test, and 1 will miss out.

So at this stage how can you have Smith in front of Maxwell as Smith has not played for 12 months.This is the difficulut one for the selectors as there is no form guide on Smith and the only form guide on Maxwell is T20 and 1 day cricket.If Smith's form from 12 months ago is there of cause he has to be in front of Maxwell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So at this stage how can you have Smith in front of Maxwell as Smith has not played for 12 months.This is the difficulut one for the selectors as there is no form guide on Smith and the only form guide on Maxwell is T20 and 1 day cricket.If Smith's form from 12 months ago is there of cause he has to be in front of Maxwell.
Ridiculous, Smith has so many credits in the bank and has dominated test cricket before and was our 2nd best batsman behind Don Bradman. Class is permanent, wont take him long to get back into it. What does Maxwell average in test cricket?

I said if "Smith's form from 12 months ago is there of cause he has to be in front of Maxwell".Please re read what I have said.

Smith and Warner have dominated and have multiple test hundreds in all conditions. They are going to be picked, form or not. That leaves 4 batsmen, and there just isn’t enough spare spots for others outside the last test series against SL to force their way in.

Smith and Warner have dominated and have multiple test hundreds in all conditions. They are going to be picked, form or not. That leaves 4 batsmen, and there just isn’t enough spare spots for others outside the last test series against SL to force their way in.
Warner has an average test record in England.

Smith has a bowlers average in England removing the flatter Lords and Oval.
That is, once we go up North he's more of a walking wicket than Dean.

Still better than the alternatives, and he was pretty decent last series in a series we got whalloped in. He'd like a few big scores this time around though, no doubt in my mind he'll do that.

when Symonds and Lehmann were discussing their squads (during the Shield final coverage), they were basing their selections on a 17 man squad.
The last four tours we've gone 17, 18, 16, 17 so 17 seems about right.

Backups
1 x batsmen
0-1 x all rounders
1 x keeper
1 x spinner
2-3 x quicks

From the last test Labu will make way and out of the squad completely.
Warner and Smith obvious ins to the XI.
Too far out to determine which of the others will make way in the XI, but whichever it is will be on the tour and almost certainly get a shot at some point, given our flaky batting.

If they go down the all rounder path as a backup it'll be Stoinis, but I think they'd go a third quick.

Backup Keeper - Wade.

Backup Spinner - Holland, but O'Keefe an outside chance.

Quicks - Hazlewood will come back in, though his form has not been great for a while so he'll be under pressure. Too early to tell which of Richardson and Starc would be demoted from the XI to the squad, but probably Starc holds his place. Pattinson a lock for the other back up bowlers spot and even an outside chance of making the first test XI pushing both Richardson and Starc out. I think they'll go a third backup quick, and it's a pretty open field - Siddle, Bird and Tremain the leading chances. Behrendorff or NCN a very outside chance. It's a very good top 10 quick bowling group we can call upon. It's a shame we couldn't swap some bowling depth for some batting depth but hey-ho.

For me, the quick bowling is definitely where the most excitement and intrigue is at.

TL;DR:

XI:
Warner
Harris/Burns
Burns/Harris/Khawaja/Patterson
Smith
Head/Burns/Patterson
Head/Burns/Patterson
Paine
Cummins
Starc/Richardson (Pattinson smokey for the XI)
Hazlewood
Lyon

Squad:
Harris/Burns/Patterson/Head/Khawaja
Wade
Holland
Starc/Richardson
Pattinson
Siddle/Bird/Tremain (Dorff or NCN very outside chances)

Siddle going sort of makes sense. Good record over in England and pace isn't everything over there where 135kmph is good enough. It's either him or Chadd Sayers who hasn't been fit all year long. Not sure I'm taking Bird over Siddle.

Pattinson is the big query. I recon they will take him to the A tour and then if he gets through that he'll be a late inclusion to the squad.

Pattinson should play if fit. Probably for Starc. What I'd pick:

1. Warner
2. Harris
3. Khawaja
4. Smith
5. Head
6. Patterson
7. Paine (c)(+)
8. Cummins
9. Pattinson
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood
-
Starc
Richardson
Burns
Siddle or Copeland (they'll pick Siddle)
Wade (they'll pick Carey)
Holland

Pattinson should play if fit. Probably for Starc. What I'd pick:

1. Warner
2. Harris
3. Khawaja
4. Smith
5. Head
6. Patterson
7. Paine (c)(+)
8. Cummins
9. Pattinson
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood
-
Starc
Richardson
Burns
Siddle or Copeland (they'll pick Siddle)
Wade (they'll pick Carey)
Holland
I don't see the need for a third reserve quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back