Rolling Ashes Squad Thread

Gough

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Moderator #226
Glenn Maxwell has started a Test career with one score past 50 in 14 innings and according to half this board he's the unluckiest and most robbed player by the selectors in the history of cricket.
I'm of the view that Maxwell is no better or no worse than players who are currently in the side but I do think he's had a rough run with mixed messaging from CA and I think it's fairly obvious that there are some personal issues at play but with both the Lehmann and Langer regimes which raises more questions in itself. I suspect we'll have to wait for the books to come out to get the whole story.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sproj

Senior List
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Very interesting article. Why is this Pucovski guy not in the squad yet?
Can understand the allure of Labusunscreen based on these stats even though he shouldn't be in there. Can understand not wanting to throw Pucovski in too early and holding him back and can understand giving S.Marsh the extended run he has had.

Cannot understand how Patterson is never spoken about and how on Earth Burns was shunted after being parachuted in for SA for Finch...Finch for crying out loud. Selectors do not seem watching Shield, let alone analysing data from it.

AFL Club
Adelaide
Can understand the allure of Labusunscreen based on these stats even though he shouldn't be in there. Can understand not wanting to throw Pucovski in too early and holding him back and can understand giving S.Marsh the extended run he has had.

Cannot understand how Patterson is never spoken about and how on Earth Burns was shunted after being parachuted in for SA for Finch...Finch for crying out loud. Selectors do not seem watching Shield, let alone analysing data from it.
Labusunscreen is an interesting addition to the list of different Labuschagne typos.

AFL Club
Adelaide
Lenny Pascoe was from that part of the world. He was born Leonard Durtanovich.
Interesting to read about him a bit. Apparently he was bullied by the Chappell brothers at junior levels lol. But he was also the most fiercest of the Lillee-Thomson-Pascoe triumvirate, so much so that a hospital ward was named Pascoe-Thomson ward. Also says he loved hitting people in the head but changed after hitting Sandeep Patil once in the head. The Viv anecdote is absolute gold.:D

The only batsman I ever wanted to hit was Viv Richards. He made me angry a lot. So this one time in Adelaide, he came out to bat, and I bowled him two bouncers. The first he top-edged for four, and now he’s looking at me chewing his gum. I bowled him another. Guess what happened? He hit it for four again. The umpire comes down and says, “That’s it you’ve bowled your two.” And Viv’s going, “No let him bowl more”. Greg Chappell from behind the stumps goes “Slippery, if you bowl one more, I will send you off the field.”
A nice read about him.

https://indianexpress.com/article/sports/cricket/pacers-psychology-is-like-the-rock/

crows dude

Club Legend
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
We took 17 players on the 2015 Ashes tour including Cummins who replaced Ryan Harris. It will be a big squad.

What I reckon we'll go with:

Batsmen: Warner, Harris, Khawaja, Renshaw, Smith, Head then someone or some two out of Maxwell/Labuschagne/Bancroft/Wade
AR: M Marsh or Stoinis depending on second half of Shield season form (deal with it, a pace bowling AR is going)
WK: Paine, Carey
Pace: Starc, Cummins, Hazlewood, Richardson, Siddle (one up and coming tearaway, one reliable back up)
Spin: Lyon, Agar (they always take Agar)

I actually think with Smith and Warner coming back they'll leave Shaun Marsh behind.
Pattinson should be ready

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dan12

Club Legend
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Harris
Warner
Renshaw
Khawaja
Smith
Paine
Cummins
Pattinson
Tremain (or Boland, Sayers, Worrall)
Lyon
Hazlewood

Back up: Siddle, Starc, Wade, Ferguson, Maxwell, one of O'Keefe, Holland or Agar

This is the team I'd pick. Paine, Cummins, Pattinson good enough to bat at 6, 7, 8. I think the extra bowler would be of more use even though it makes the team unbalanced.
But we all know the Marsh brothers, Head, Handscomb and co will be on the plane.

AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Wigan Athletic
Who cares if someone has ‘something about them’. The bloke hasn’t made a FC century in over 2yrs. Mitch has made 8 in that time and he still sucks. I don’t understand at all why people think Stoinis would be any better.
Struggled last year with his dad passing and missing a chunk of the season. Averaging 43 so far this season and is a much improved bowler, I’d be ok with him at 6.

AFL Club
Sydney
Harris
Warner
Renshaw
Khawaja
Smith
Paine
Cummins
Pattinson
Tremain (or Boland, Sayers, Worrall)
Lyon
Hazlewood

Back up: Siddle, Starc, Wade, Ferguson, Maxwell, one of O'Keefe, Holland or Agar

This is the team I'd pick. Paine, Cummins, Pattinson good enough to bat at 6, 7, 8. I think the extra bowler would be of more use even though it makes the team unbalanced.
But we all know the Marsh brothers, Head, Handscomb and co will be on the plane.
smith @ 5 - say what ?

6,7,8 paine, patto, cummins as a one off yes.
if this is for a whole series or ongoing, you are now asking these guys to make runs which is a big ask. these guys runs should be treated as bonus runs.
between them they have 1 first class ton.

getgaff

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Miami Heat, Old Easts
For the first test:

Warner
Harris, Renshaw on stand by.
Khawaja
Smith

Head, I’m a fan of SOS but the time has come to invest into the next decade.
Slot 6 is a raffle between Handscomb, Wade, Burns or an all rounder. Horses for courses each test.
Paine
Cummins

Lyon
Hazelwood
Worall/ Sayers, someone who can swing the ball. Starc too focused on his pace right now.

Starc, Renshaw, Stoinis, Burns, Wade, Tremain, Holland all among the travelling party.

Have at it folks.

bird_man

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
St Kilda
Thread starter #246
Only way I see Cummins batting at 7 if Paine is there is if Paine is batting at 8.

Might be a possibility if a Carey comes in, but that won't be happening before the ashes.

hawkman

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur

Very interesting article. Why is this Pucovski guy not in the squad yet?
Interesting graphs. Shaun Marsh has the 2nd highest average but also the 2nd highest false shot percentage. Might be a reason why he gets found out at Test level

Richard Pryor

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
His name sounds Serbian..First Serbian origin cricketer?
Apparently they have their own cricket team:
https://caughtatpoint.com/2018/08/08/rise-cricket-in-serbia-vladimir-ninkovic/
In the year 2007, a group of people came together in Belgrade with an aim to lay a foundation for Cricket in a Football obsessed nation. Throughout the past decade, they have gone through extreme challenges which a game has to see especially in its initial stage. However, they are enthusiastic as they were eleven years ago as Cricket in Serbia seems to be catching the attention of both the people and the media.

On such an occasion Caught at Point brings an exclusive interview of one of the founding members of Serbian Cricket, Vladimir Ninković, who is also the captain and coach of the national team apart from being General Secretary of the Serbian Cricket Federation.
Initially, we had a hard time in convincing the media and the sports community to take us seriously. The first couple of years the media coverage was rather small and slightly ironic, painting us as a bunch of eccentric enthusiasts who acted “English”, as one article put it. The sports media started following us in July 2010 when our national team had its debut at the so-called EuroT20 championship held in Skopje, Macedonia. Our membership in the Serbian Sports Federation in 2011 and the support from the Ministry of Youth and Sports since 2012 definitely made us look more serious in the eyes of the media and the sports community.

Currently, we are content both with the amount of coverage we receive and the way we are approached. Certainly, cricket is still far from being a big thing in Serbia, but I think we have done a good job in the previous 10 years.
Can you name some few upcoming prominent players who can be the face of Cricket Serbia in future?

There are quite a few of them who will be far better cricketers than we are.

Among U17’s Jovan Reb first comes to mind, a mentally strong medium-fast bowler who is also quite useful with the bat.

U15’s – our best generation, so many to pick: Nemanja Zimonjić the national team captain, Rahman Ademi, Matija Šarenac and Daniel Petrović – potentially the best allrounders in Serbian cricket, Vukašin Zimonjić – pace bowler, Dehran Bekteši – panther wicketkeeper and powerful batsman… They will all be involved in the national team by 2020 or 2021.

eth-dog

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg Lions, All Boston sides
Warner's straight in. He has the runs on the board, so to speak. Blokes that average nearly 50 in Test cricket are gold to us right now. Burns can fit into the line up, doesn't have to open. Certainly won't be a lack of spots!
Averages 37 in England with 0 tons.

Top Bottom