Rolling Ashes Squad Thread

AFL Club
Adelaide
This is good news. So many of these associate and affiliate teams are made up of cricket hungry desis and a few British and Australian expats. The presence of the game in the immigrant community is not really a real indicator for the growth of the game in that particular country and unless you get the people who are native to that particular region interested in the sport, there's no real scope for the sport in that country.

In this case, it's refreshing to see the presence of so many young Serbian kids at junior levels taking up cricket, hopefully the penetration of the game increases in the country and we see emergence of new cricketing nations like Serbia.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richard Pryor

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This is good news. So many of these associate and affiliate teams are made up of cricket hungry desis and a few British and Australian expats. The presence of the game in the immigrant community is not really a real indicator for the growth of the game in that particular country and unless you get the people who are native to that particular region interested in the sport, there's no real scope for the sport in that country.

In this case, it's refreshing to see the presence of so many young Serbian kids at junior levels taking up cricket, hopefully the penetration of the game increases in the country and we see an emergence of new cricketing nations like Serbia.
The ICC gave all the associate teams T20I status starting this year as well, which will help the sport grow even more, as playing an international format will prevent the press from just writing them off as a bunch of eccentric hipsters.

AFL Club
Melbourne
my 16 man squad for the Ashes at this stage.

first test team -reserve players

Renshaw -Warner
Harris
Khawaja
Smith
Burns
Pucovski -Stoinis
Paine -Wade WK/bat
Cummins
Lyon
Hazlewood
Worrall - Starc, Richardson

so I'll admit its likely Warner could be straight back in as opener, but i'd give the other 2 a go first if they play well vs Sri Lanka and look in touch in warm up games over there.
taking Wade streamlines the squad a bit. going as a back up keeper who could also be called upon just as a batsman if needed, so we have 2 back up bats, 3 if the all rounder plays instead of a genuine batsman at 6.
2 spare quicks. Richardson is the best young bowler in the country and likely to be involved in future Ashes tours. probably wouldn't play much anyway, but it would be good experience for him to go this time. and I want Worrall in. his ability to swing the ball would be handy over there, although there is a question mark over his fitness. but he was in ripping form before he broke down. maybe take Sayers instead, if he doesn't get up.
and the all rounder Stoinis caps off the squad to bring home the Ashes!

AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
my 16 man squad for the Ashes at this stage.

first test team -reserve players

Renshaw -Warner
Harris
Khawaja
Smith
Burns
Pucovski -Stoinis
Paine -Wade WK/bat
Cummins
Lyon
Hazlewood
Worrall - Starc, Richardson

so I'll admit its likely Warner could be straight back in as opener, but i'd give the other 2 a go first if they play well vs Sri Lanka and look in touch in warm up games over there.
taking Wade streamlines the squad a bit. going as a back up keeper who could also be called upon just as a batsman if needed, so we have 2 back up bats, 3 if the all rounder plays instead of a genuine batsman at 6.
2 spare quicks. Richardson is the best young bowler in the country and likely to be involved in future Ashes tours. probably wouldn't play much anyway, but it would be good experience for him to go this time. and I want Worrall in. his ability to swing the ball would be handy over there, although there is a question mark over his fitness. but he was in ripping form before he broke down. maybe take Sayers instead, if he doesn't get up.
and the all rounder Stoinis caps off the squad to bring home the Ashes!
Probably need a spinning AR/batsman, so a Travis Head type probably. Don't see Wade going, if they want an extra keeper, just take Carey. Wade as keeper is a big NO. Bancroft will be there is some shape or form. One of teh few in the country that can play a genuine test match innings

AFL Club
Melbourne
Probably need a spinning AR/batsman, so a Travis Head type probably. Don't see Wade going, if they want an extra keeper, just take Carey. Wade as keeper is a big NO. Bancroft will be there is some shape or form. One of teh few in the country that can play a genuine test match innings
yeah I thought about the spinning all rounder as we probably will take one, but I just don't think there's any real need for one. if we do, I hope its not Head. I cant have him in the side, don't like his batting style for test cricket and his bowling is pure trash anyway. reckon he would be a failure over there.
we usually do take a back up keeper option to England though don't we? one option we do have that I wouldn't mind, is taking Bancroft instead of Wade and let him keep in the unlikely event that Paine goes down injured.

AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
yeah I thought about the spinning all rounder as we probably will take one, but I just don't think there's any real need for one. if we do, I hope its not Head. I cant have him in the side, don't like his batting style for test cricket and his bowling is pure trash anyway. reckon he would be a failure over there.
we usually do take a back up keeper option to England though don't we? one option we do have that I wouldn't mind, is taking Bancroft instead of Wade and let him keep in the unlikely event that Paine goes down injured.
Bancroft keeping would be a mile better than Wade doing it. I’m still having nightmares on Wade keeping in a test match. On an Ashes your we usually take a spare keeper and that will be Alex Carey anyway. Bancroft would be in my side in English conditions

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LukeParkerno1

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Yet he has a worse test record than Harris, Burns, Renshaw and of course Warner

I'm not sure where he fits in
I'd easily play him ahead of Burns in England. Need guys who can graft a test match innings and play time. I am far from convinced on Burns unless he's in the middle order

JackOutback

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Yet he has a worse test record than Harris, Burns, Renshaw and of course Warner

I'm not sure where he fits in
Renshaw and Burns got runs early, then struggled, Bancroft struggled, then started to get better. I don't see much between any of them and I think he's a much better long-term prospect than Harris. I'd be happy for him to come back in at 6.

LukeParkerno1

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Renshaw and Burns got runs early, then struggled, Bancroft struggled, then started to get better. I don't see much between any of them and I think he's a much better long-term prospect than Harris. I'd be happy for him to come back in at 6.
Same, not saying he'll be as good but we could do worse than trial Bancroft to be a Hussey-type at 5 or 6. We have a number or opening options.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England Cronulla
I'd easily play him ahead of Burns in England. Need guys who can graft a test match innings and play time. I am far from convinced on Burns unless he's in the middle order
Bancroft couldn't make runs on the Australian roads v the English attack but he will do better in tougher conditions?

frankrizzo

Norm Smith Medallist
His test record was nothing special anyway so unlike Smith and Warner he needs big runs in the shield to have any shot of an ashes berth, it's not an easy road back for him but other players who have actually scored test tons had to earn their spots back in domestic cricket and so will bancroft.

One very poor series and one decent series without a ton aren't enough to see him go up the pecking order not when 4 other potential openers will be in the mix for the ashes.

tomsimpkin31

Premiership Player
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United, Bushrangers
Bancroft will most likely never play test cricket for Australia again. Nor should he. You don't throw teammates under the bus and reverse over them a dozen times when you're caught cheating.
Don't really know how you can say he won't play tests again again. If he performs well at Shield level, he will be in the mix. Not necessarily for the Ashes I hope, but he's 26. Time is on his side.

JackOutback

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Bancroft will most likely never play test cricket for Australia again. Nor should he. You don't throw teammates under the bus and reverse over them a dozen times when you're caught cheating.
Think you’ll find that was CA’s idea. They’re happy to pin it all on Warner. Smith has done the same.

AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Everton, Delhi, Perth
I’ve seen several people complain about Bancroft throwing Warner under the bus.

It’s amusing seeing as how, after it happened, the public seemed all too happy to lay 90% of the blame on Warner.

Top Bottom