Rolling Ashes Squad Thread, now featuring Haddin XII v Hick XII beginning p. 147

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gonna be a batoff when both are in England. Foolish deision to not take a county deal by Harris.
Nah. He's locked in, plus he'll play the A tour.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Harris will play the First Test, guaranteed. But if he’s clearly struggling after two Tests, they need to change tack quickly, not drag it out and risk the series. He has a weakness that has been exposed, if England exploit it successfully, mix it up.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Nah. He's locked in, plus he'll play the A tour.
You think he is locked into the X1? Not sure about that, was pretty poor against a weakened SL team. And Burns did score a 174 in the most recent test. Theyw ill both be on the plane. E.g. if Harris does really bad on the A tour and Burns does really good, obviously Burns will play and Harris won't

You think he is locked into the X1? Not sure about that, was pretty poor against a weakened SL team. And Burns did score a 174 in the most recent test. Theyw ill both be on the plane. E.g. if Harris does really bad on the A tour and Burns does really good, obviously Burns will play and Harris won't
He's locked into the squad.

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
So if the Sri Lankan team was poor why write off Harris based on that series while talking up others for making 100s against a weak side.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So if the Sri Lankan team was poor why write off Harris based on that series while talking up others for making 100s against a weak side.
Because he capitalised on it. What does it say if you are weak against weak bowlers? You can only score runs from the bowlers put in front of you and that is what Burns did. In any case, l actually want Harris in the X1 against the poms, but he needs to play well against the swinging ball

Discussion over the 7 middle order spots would be interesting. I'd say Khawaja, Paine and Smith are locked in. Which leaves 4 spots between:

Head, Patterson, Wade, Pucovski, Carey, Labuschagne, Stoinis, Maxwell.

Obviously one will be between Carey and Wade for the reserve keeper. Head probably gets in due to weight of runs in the Australian summer. Labuschagne's return to the Shield did himself no favours. For me you select the first three and then one of Puck, Stoin and Maxy

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
You don't have questions over Burns around offstump when the ball is moving??
Everyone in Australia has questions over them around offstump whent he ball is moving. It is about the best performer at the time. Harris getting 100 would help a lot but it will be the performances in England that will count the most

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Discussion over the 7 middle order spots would be interesting. I'd say Khawaja, Paine and Smith are locked in. Which leaves 4 spots between:

Head, Patterson, Wade, Pucovski, Carey, Labuschagne, Stoinis, Maxwell.

Obviously one will be between Carey and Wade for the reserve keeper. Head probably gets in due to weight of runs in the Australian summer. Labuschagne's return to the Shield did himself no favours. For me you select the first three and then one of Puck, Stoin and Maxy

Select one out of Puck,Stoinis and Maxi.Maxi should be a certainty

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yes, everyone has flaws in their game. But Harris's is particularly concerning if the ball is swinging.
Disagree. Harris is very frustrating, but his biggest issue is waving the bat at wide balls that don't need to be hit. That should be able to be coached out of him.

Burns is a big concern when he's on the front foot to a swinging ball.

Technique wise I'd have Harris over Burns. The 170 is what has Burns in the picture.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Select one out of Puck,Stoinis and Maxi.Maxi should be a certainty
Maxwell should be in the squad but it’s clear the selectors don’t want him playing red ball and he didn’t get the chance to pile on red ball runs, so he’s well back in the pack, for mine. Pucovski struggled for one week in Queensland, I’m not sending him to England for two months.

For mine, it’s Harris, Warner, Khawaja, Smith, Head and Patterson playing, with Burns, Bancroft and Stoinis/Maxwell the reserves.

to1994

Club Legend
Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
I still have question marks on Harris, along with Wade he's obviously the best Shield batsman this season but he's been in form all summer which means what we saw in the Tests is probably the best we'll get from him.

It's hard to not see him being in the first XI for the opening Test and rightly so I guess. Renshaw has one fifty to his name, Bancroft was decent but with missing so much Cricket he probably needed to be exceptional and he didn't quite get there.

Burns shouldn't be all that close IMO. The selectors clearly don't rate him all that much and I agree with them, I don't think he's up to it against international standard bowling. I'd have Bancroft as backup, and Wade as a reserve and wouldn't even take Burns to be honest. If they do take Burns he shouldn't be coming in as an opener either, will get thoroughly exposed against Anderson and co.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
A Richardson, Pattinson, Siddle bowling partnership would probably do better than the first choice attack in England
Pattoman would bowl well until he got injured on day 2 and Siddle would just get carted, then Richo would would crumble under the pressure of having to carry the attack as a young bloke.

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
Pattoman would bowl well until he got injured on day 2 and Siddle would just get carted, then Richo would would crumble under the pressure of having to carry the attack as a young bloke.

Which is diffferent how to Hazlewood breaking down, Starc bowling pies and Cummins crumbling from the workload and his body finally giving way again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back